Irish Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 2016 Irish election is over!

We finally have a new party, but in an unexpected twist, it's effectively Clann na Talmhan reborn. Fitzmaurice claims to have a slate of 25 candidates, and with pylons, bogs, post offices and wind turbines on the agenda, could our "urban planners" (Ross and Creighton) be forced to hitch up to the "Rural Party" vehicle?

Comment

The gay marriage referendum will be held in May - might be best not to turn on the TV for the next five months to avoid the inevitable slanging matches.

Comment

No fewer than three opinion polls tonight, so to summarise:

Labour averaging a new low of 5%, while FF are flatlining on 18.

FG down in two, and at 21-24% overall.
        SF up in two, at same mark.

Indos still ruling roost on 30-34%.

Comment

Seats:

Others 49
          FG 41
          SF 36
          FF 32
          Lab 0

Comment

This column gives a clue as to one of the many reasons why people are deserting Fine Gael in their droves:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/gene-kerrigan/is-this-really-enda-kennys-idea-of-how-to-man-up-30852845.html

Compensation capped at 84 grand, by the crowd who want to privatise the water supply.

Comment

The new rural party has a provisional title of Tua Nua - the coming months and years will determine whether it, indeed, proves to be a wonderful thing.

Comment

The Regressive Democrats have finally launched, no TD besides Lucinda herself hardly augurs well.

Comment

Creighton performed a shameless flip-flop on the issue of same sex marriage at the press conference. That must have been quite some wrestle with her conscience.

Eddie Hobbs, her supporting act, refused to say whether or not he would run for the Dáil at the next election. What is the point of these people, other than to annoy us?

Comment

So when is this election then?

Comment

Eddie Hobbs is also behind the "Our Own Oil" bullshit movement, questioning why the Irish government isn't milking oil companies like Norway does. (Answer: Because Norway is has loads of the stuff.)

Comment

TonTon wrote: So when is this election then?
                        Nice to see you!

Comment

Yo!

There is no date for an election, and it doesn't have to be in 2015.

Comment

Antonio Pulisao wrote: Eddie Hobbs is also behind the "Our Own Oil" bullshit movement, questioning why the Irish government isn't milking oil companies like Norway does. (Answer: Because Norway is has loads of the stuff.)
                            Just looked this up. Glad you were around to save me believing a load of nonsense.

Though I would probably have clocked that the terms can't be that generous, or else the oil would have all gone.

I see he was one of those "terrible inflation is coming" sorts.

Comment

TonTon wrote: Yo!

There is no date for an election, and it doesn't have to be in 2015.
                              The election has to happen by February 2016. The government will almost certainly not fall between now and then, because its Dáil majority is huge.

Comment

TonTon wrote: So when is this election then?
                                Great to see you back, TonTon! When I started the thread, Labour were starting their current meltdown, so early spring seemed a likely election period at the time. I'm still unconvinced they'll agree another budget, though September now seems the earliest one would be held.

Comment

Yo!

Your Labour Party might even be worse than ours.

Comment

Ours is better than Spain's.

Comment

Though that depends if you count Podemos.

Comment

I'm not sure I'd count anyone in Spain as "the Labour Party", but I assume you meant PSOE rather than anyone on the left.

Comment

Yes, I meant them.

Spain came to mind as having a Right who are even worse than ours.

Comment

Somehow, can't imagine Enda losing his seat - the same "pundit" predicted Adams would struggle in Louth, before he promptly topped the poll!

Comment

Diable Rouge wrote: Somehow, can't imagine Enda losing his seat - the same "pundit" predicted Adams would struggle in Louth, before he promptly topped the poll!
                                              Is he regarded as "prime ministerial"?

Comment

The description of Gerald Ford comes to mind.

Comment

Just a quick heads-up to remind people that RTE's Charles Haughey dramatisation starts at half nine tonight.

I overheard Marian Finucane on the radio earlier, expressing the hope that the programme would "give a balanced portrait" of Haughey. You mean there was more to him than being a corrupt bully-boy?

Comment

Green Calx wrote: You mean there was more to him than being a corrupt bully-boy?
                                                    "At least he stood up to Thatcher on the North", as I believe you put it in the funeral oration

Anyone I'd know in the cast?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X