Irish Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 2016 Irish election is over!

Definite backlash, especially if rural projects simultaneously scrapped.

Comment

Irish trade unions take a firm swing to the left - the idea of SF transferring to AAA could be a gamechanger in terms of final Dublin seats, though SIPTU remain wedded to Labour. Meanwhile, a supplier strike leaves An Post services cancelled indefinitely.

Comment

Joan Burton nominates Maria Cahill for the Seanad by-election.

Comment

What platform is she going to run on? "Gerry Adams is a dodgy fucker, vote for me"?

Let's hope no one asks her any questions about the RNU or Ronan Kerr on the campaign trail.

Comment

SIPTU set to debate a motion on cutting links to Labour - unlikely Jack O'Connor would agree, but if members spread their subs across the alternative left, then fair to say the established party would be finished.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote: How do people outside Dublin feel about big transport schemes there? We get a bit of backlash against London schemes here
              On a related theme, plenty of NI Unionists are quite keen on improvements to Dublin Airport, for easily understood reasons. It's an international destination, the two Belfast equivalents are barely regional (Paris, Amsterdam, the Costas and Canaries) while Derry's a glorified flying club which will keep haemorrhaging cash until it's closed down.

If your Seanad has a reserved place for failed Nordie hack people feel sorry for, Brendan Rogers would have more appeal than Cahill.

Comment

Duncan Gardner wrote: (Paris, Amsterdam, the Costas and Canaries)
                And Exeter, I discovered last night.

Comment

The merest mention of the fucking Seanad is all the encouragement I need to post this, one of my all-time favourite Irish political gaffes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcuiGDjvjPI

Comment

I visited Dublin with my girlfriend in the spring and it took 1 hr and 50 mins to get from Dublin airport to our hotel at Lansdowne Road. 30 minutes of this was spent waiting in the cold for the 747 bus at Terminal 2. Said bus doesn't stop next to a Dart station. The genius Metro plan would whisk us to St. Stephen's Green, and we would then have to figure out how the hell to get to Lansdowne. Meanwhile, there is nothing but green fields between Dublin Airport and the Dublin-Belfast mainline, but it seems that nobody has put two and two together yet.

When I land at Copenhagen Airport, there is a train station underneath the arrivals hall, where I can get a 100 mph intercity that takes me through a 5 km tunnel and over a 9 km bridge to another country, after which it dives under the city of Malmö through an underground link and further onwards to the Swedish hinterland.

Comment

Lansdowne is walkable from Stephen's Green, in more or less a straight line along Merrion Row/Baggot Street/Pembroke Road, but it would take the best part of 30 minutes.

Comment

It would surely be a piece of piss to extend the Dart to Dublin airport. I don't understand why they didn't do it 20 years ago.

If you open up Google Earth it seems simple to extend the Dart from Clongriffin station to Dublin airport. And then you make Intercity trains call at Clongriffin station and anybody coming from Belfast can easily change to get to Dublin airport. Simples.

Comment

Clongriffin didn't exist twenty years ago. It barely exists now.

Comment

The rail line existed 20 years ago.

Comment

Not as a DART line.

Comment

AP makes good points. Extending the DART/ Belfast mainline to the airport should be straightforward, and much cheaper than an underground to Parnell Square and Stephen's Green.

Copenhagen effectively has three bridge/tunnel systems linking it with Sweden, Fyn/ Jutland and Germany via the Fehmarn Belt.

On a sadder Scando note I hear than Henning 'Wallander' Mankell has just died.

Comment

Toro Toro wrote: Not as a DART line.

The possibility to build a rail connection between Dublin and Dublin airport existed in the sense that there was a rail line between Dublin and Belfast, and green fields between said rail line and Dublin airport.

Comment

I think Fine Gael's main problem with the cheaper option for the airport link (the spur from the Dublin-Belfast line) is that it would be done by CIE, whereas the more expensive metro option would be PPP financed.

We don't want the CIE making a bit of money when we can let corporations make money instead, now do we.

Comment

Hee hee

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQieXiVWUAAJK3I.jpg

Comment

The bi-weekly, Irish Times sponsored, Lucinda Creighton message to the plebs.

Let's introduce a flat tax. Everyone will benefit. Especially rich people.

Comment

Just noticed Ireland's GDP is 7.5% above pre-crisis peak.

If that was the case in Britain, given the similar political context of the other lot having presided over the crisis, the government would romp home.

Comment

where did you find that?

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Just noticed Ireland's GDP is 7.5% above pre-crisis peak.

If that was the case in Britain, given the similar political context of the other lot having presided over the crisis, the government would romp home.
                                              The truth is that FG get all the credit, and thus are likely to secure 50-55 seats. Labour might scrape into double figures on a very good day, and with Renua and the SDs likely only to retain their six combined TDs at best, an FF-FG coalition remains the most probable majority government.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Just noticed Ireland's GDP is 7.5% above pre-crisis peak.
                                                We don't know how lucky we are . . .

Comment

Green Calx wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs
                                                  Just noticed Ireland's GDP is 7.5% above pre-crisis peak.
                                                  We don't know how lucky we are . . .
                                                  I think we're only about 5% above, even with the advantage of having our own central bank. And our old government has just won, fairly easily.

Comment

Well, it's a wonderful figure. A shame it's having absolutely damn all effect on 90% of people's daily lives.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X