No announcement yet.

Irish Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pocket Murdoch. The shite he’s pulled in Haiti is just disgusting.

Comment

With Hogan and Inda gone, Lowry outside the party, surely FG are distanced enough from direct Dirty old Bastard corruption to cut him loose. Unless they are just terrified of what INM might reveal about the party.

Comment

Fair to say MDH is safe when he's even getting 45% in a Journal.ie poll.

Comment

That said, the absence of any polling since the weekend makes it impossible to quantify exactly how the Casey bandwagon will play out in the ballot box - my guess would be in the region of 10-15%, but rural Ireland is an unpredictable beast at the best of times.

Comment

I’m guessing he’s a kite flier for a proper populist far right wing movement in Ireland. If he gets over 15% I’d be a bit worried that folk see an opportunity for a PC gone mad, tells it like it is party. Those weird NPC posters seems like someone’s at least trying to engage the beard oil Jordan Peterson following bloc as well as golf club boors. The likes of Michael Fitzmaurice would probably be an easy fit for a “traditional values” racist sexist homophobic party a bit cleverer and savvy than the Justin Barrett mob. Who is funding this charlatan?
            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 25-10-2018, 19:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
              I’m guessing he’s a kite flier for a proper populist far right wing movement in Ireland. If he gets over 15% I’d be a bit worried that folk see an opportunity for a PC gone mad, tells it like it is party. Those weird NPC posters seems like someone’s at least trying to engage the beard oil Jordan Peterson following bloc as well as golf club boors. The likes of Michael Fitzmaurice would probably be an easy fit for a “traditional values” racist sexist homophobic party a bit cleverer and savvy than the Justin Barrett mob. Who is funding this charlatan?
              Himself - he's a millionaire, and only pays tax in the US, even though he mainly lives in Ireland.

Comment

Also, he backed Irexit a year before the election, so they're naturally rallying behind him.

Comment

The Tuam Mother & Baby home developments baffle me. There appears to be a weird hysteria at large whereby liberal 21st century mores are being projected back to the 1940s and people are shocked! Shocked!

I can understand excavating the graves to move the remains but doing DNA tests to establish the identities is extreme. *
                  I have not been able to find an academic study that puts the home in context of the time.
                  The Magdalen Laundry report is a close parallel but at 1,000 pages appears to have been written to conceal more than reveal.
                  Here's one interpretation of that report
                  https://www.mcgarrsolicitors.ie/2013...len-laundries/

* like it would be better to spend cash on cervical cancer screening labs in Ireland for instance
                  Last edited by loose cannon; 25-10-2018, 21:37.

Comment

Voted at about 8.20 this morning, it looked like I was the first person on my street of approximately 150 houses to vote

Comment

A cursory glance at social media suggests no sense of complacency, with #KeepThePoet trending heavily.

Comment

All the REPEAL sweatshirt and YES badge wearers seem to be have decided that this election isn't trendy enough for them.

Comment

The one glimmer of hope is that the Leinster Rugby strongholds appear to be giving the highest turnouts so far.

Comment

Exit polls in 25 minutes ...

Comment

Higgins getting 56-58%, Casey on 20-21%, with Gallagher, Ní Ríada and Freeman on 6-8% each, Duffy on 2%.

Comment

This is a hell of a thread (click through to read the replies)

https://twitter.com/shockproofbeats/status/1055810843257065473?s=21

Comment

33% of FF voters and 25% of SF voters opted for Casey.

Comment

There's a load of old people who regret that they never got to exercise their birthright, which they believe to be to see the light drain from a traveller's eyes as they choke the life out of them. There's also a bunch of really angry mad people who would have voted for whoever was the second placed candidate. I wouldn't read too much into it. The problem is that RTE were trying to make some sort of political figure out of him on the Election programme. I can't decide if its simply for them to have something to say to fill time, or whether or not they've seen all the easy ratings they got in the UK and america when they had a Trump. Or if its part of a wider creeping effort to Trumpify Ireland. The thing is that Casey is basically Ivan Yates's unchained Id. He is George Hook with two fewer obvious personality disorders. The Thing about him is that he is an incoherent idiot, who is incapable of competing in the incredibly competitive Populist space.

This crazy quarter of the population has always been there. Given that, casey didn't really do very well, particularly given the low turnout. If only we can avoid the surge in our right wing press to try and make something of this mad Irexiteering cunt.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                      There's a load of old people who regret that they never got to exercise their birthright, which they believe to be to see the light drain from a traveller's eyes as they choke the life out of them. There's also a bunch of really angry mad people who would have voted for whoever was the second placed candidate. I wouldn't read too much into it. The problem is that RTE were trying to make some sort of political figure out of him on the Election programme. I can't decide if its simply for them to have something to say to fill time, or whether or not they've seen all the easy ratings they got in the UK and america when they had a Trump. Or if its part of a wider creeping effort to Trumpify Ireland. The thing is that Casey is basically Ivan Yates's unchained Id. He is George Hook with two fewer obvious personality disorders. The Thing about him is that he is an incoherent idiot, who is incapable of competing in the incredibly competitive Populist space.

This crazy quarter of the population has always been there. Given that, casey didn't really do very well, particularly given the low turnout. If only we can avoid the surge in our right wing press to try and make something of this mad Irexiteering cunt.
                                      Thankfully, it seems even Donegal will have Higgins topping the poll, so the land swap with Fermanagh or Armagh can be postponed for now. Indeed, the Yates parallel is entirely apt, given his regular screeds on both the Tonight Show and Newstalk about Middle Ireland, but if there was an appetite for a New PDs, then Renua would be thriving in the polls.

Comment

I was talking to Martin McAleese today. Not the golfing with UDA men ex-Pres spouse but his cousin.He was collecting for the RBL at the time

Comment

Apparently Casey's vote was highest in places where there are most Travellers

You can read a lot into that however unpleasant

At a time when property prices are soaring, claiming special needs because of your culture doesn't roll any more

Comment

You mean Rathkeale specifically don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                              You mean Rathkeale specifically don't you?
                                              Longford as well, it seems.

Comment

Michael D speaks.

https://twitter.com/malonebarry/status/1056356434034724864?s=21

Comment

An excellent speech, striking all the right notes, and getting in the pointed barbs with exquisite timing. Meanwhile, the runner-up is joining Fianna Fáil, which chimes rather aptly with his voter demographic.

Comment

hahaha. Seriously? He's going to get fucking eaten alive. Fianna Failers have stuff in their fridge smarter than Casey. Casey's demographic is more Fine Gael tbh. they're the ones who have to apologize for county councillors talking about burning out traveller encampments.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X