Irish Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
    Could someone do a quick "previously in Irish Elections" on the issues for new readers?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VstDOv0C1do

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
      Could someone do a quick "previously in Irish Elections" on the issues for new readers?
      Basically a Garda whistleblower was smeared by his own force and a child protection agency, with each subsequent attempt to deal with the issue dragging more and more office-holders into the mire.

Now, there's speculation that Leo could go to the Áras tonight, rather than leave matters drag on until Tuesday.

Comment

I found this timeline useful

Comment

Varadkar and Martin will meet this afternoon. Gavan Reilly has a good thread on breaking developments:

https://mobile.twitter.com/gavreilly...69498910576640

Comment

In other matters, ex unionist mp John Taylor denys being racist when he called Leo Varadkar "the Indian " in a tweet, he claimed he did it because twitter has a limit on message length, well John, as well as being a bigoted prick, you can't add because Varadkar uses less characters than the Indian

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              And it's interesting to see one of our own mentioned...

Comment

I think Taylor is lapsing into senility not that that's an excuse for his comment.

Comment

Pearse Doherty confirms that Mary Lou will lead SF whenever the GE occurs.

Comment

Who is the one of our own mentioned?

Comment

Don't worry, Dunc, it was a joke. There was a reference to the daughter of a Garda officer as Ms D...

Comment

Whoops- sees John Taylor not alone in his senior lapse...

Comment

thanks all. Sometimes I really appreciate the depth of expert knowledge available

Comment

[misunderstood completely what was going on]
                            Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 24-11-2017, 19:58.

Comment

Varadkar now saying he won't ask the Tánaiste to resign, and that while he doesn't want an election, it would be preferable for it to be held before Christmas.

Comment

Hopefully some paper has more shit on her, she resigns over the weekend as the scandal ramps up, and we can get on with fucking Christmas. She seems a fairly shit minister even without this stuff anyway. She must be a player in the background I suppose or Leo would have chucked her as soon as he got in.

Comment

Does anyone know what is going on here?

Comment

Does anyone else think Varadkar looks like a young Richard Nixon?

Comment

I'm not sure

Comment

It's the nose, plus hamster cheeks, more obvious in half-profile.

Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 24-11-2017, 20:16.

Comment

hah, I'd say what they have in common is a big irish forehead.

We do go in for huge heads here. (none more so than mine I suspect) It's not as obvious now when everyone is huge, But back when widespread malnutrition was a thing, and everyone was five feet tall. (like the men of 1916 and the war of independence,) well they're all tiny men with massive bobble heads. (with the exception of Dev, who was freakishly tall with a relatively small head)

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                            A loyalist Christmas involves ALL the trimmings

It's well know that the Three Wise Men arrived waving a Union Jack

A dispute which started with the removal of Union flags from the centre of Magherafelt has seen a complaint made requesting the town's Christmas tree be taken down.

Loyalist group the British Truth Forum has complained to the Mid Ulster District Council and the PSNI about the tree, which is located on the town's Broad Street.

The tree is an annual feature, and this year's event for switching on its lights is set to take place on Saturday evening.

Speaking to the Irish News, the British Truth Forum's chairman William Lennox said the complaint had been made as there are "Muslims in the town and a lot of non-Christians" who could be offended by the tree.

"If the council says our Union flag offends people then the Christmas tree has offended people.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                              It's the nose, plus hamster cheeks, more obvious in half-profile.

I can’t get off the floor after seeing it. The nose and nascent jowls of evil.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                                Looks like they get to play the martyr card, while at the same time dog whistling that it’s the lesser spotted Nordie dusky minority fault for the lack of festive celebration. Win Win in Cuntytoun.
                                                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 24-11-2017, 23:20.

Comment

Perhaps slightly premature, but I'll begin my election preview by looking at the Munster constituencies:

Kerry:

God may or may not have created the weather, but he certainly smiled on the Healy-Rae clan last year - unlikely both will get elected next time, with FG favourite to take Danny's seat. Toireasa Ferris should retain her father's mandate. FG 2 (+1), FF 1, SF 1, Ind 1 (-1)

Waterford:

Again, a likely Independent loss here, as Halligan is punished for his escapades with Shane Ross. FG 2 (+1), FF 1, SF 1, Ind All 0 (-1)

Tipperary:

Much as I would love Lowry to miss out, he'll likely top the poll again. Improbable that three Independents will be elected again, and Alan Kelly is in real danger here. FF 2 (+1), Ind 2 (-1), FG 1 (+1)

Clare:

No change seems the most probable outcome here. FG 2, FF 1, Ind 1

Limerick County:

Alongside Cork North-West, arguably the most boring Dáil constituency. Will only be interesting if FF run a second candidate, but for now, it's FG 2, FF 1.

Limerick City:

The mercurial Willie O'Dea is now FF's longest serving TD, since 1982. Seems likely that Labour's Jan O'Sullivan will lose out, and given that Michael Noonan is unlikely to stand, I'll give this extra seat to FF. FF 2 (+1), FG 1, SF 1, Lab 0 (-1)

Cork North West:

Nothing to see here - FF 2, FG 1.

Cork South West:

The anti-Independent tide is likely to favour FG again here: FG 2 (+1), FF 1, Ind 0 (-1).

Cork East:

Labour may well survive on this occasion. FF 1, FG 1, Lab 1, SF 1

Cork North Central:

Could be interesting if FF run two here, but for now, I predict no change. FF 1, FG 1, SF 1, Solidarity-PBP 1.

Cork South Central:

The "group of death", with Coveney, Martin and Michael McGrath all elected here last time. Jerry Buttimer could eliminate the latter, but unlikely. FF 2, FG 1, SF 1

Running total after Munster: FG 16 (+4), FF 15 (+2) , SF 6, Ind 4 (-4), Lab 1 (-2), Sol-PBP 1
                                                  Last edited by Diable Rouge; 25-11-2017, 09:30.

Comment

I told ye Magherafelt was dodgy.

Wouldn't it be more democratic- and fairly easy- for all areas to have 5 seats?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X