Irish Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 2016 Irish election is over!

There's definitely a bus to Ongar. If it wasn't for the bus going to Ongar I wouldn't be aware that it existed. I Kept looking at the name and thinking that Dublin bus were going to hungary, and then someone where in london. The truth is less excitig.

Comment

Varadkar wants a society where it pays to work.

So he's for a raise in the minimum wage, I assume.

Comment

What is this carry on about a Public Services Card (PSC)? You will soon need a PSC to apply for a passport or a driver's license. What is the point of that? In any other country an existing valid passport or driver's license is considered sufficient ID in itself. A passport in particular is the ultimate form of ID.

Comment

Leo wants to ban public sector strikes.

He's really trying his best to become a hate figure.

Comment

Now he's saying that there will be a warm welcome in FG for pro-life people - in other words, come back Renua and Lucinda, all is forgiven!

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: There's definitely a bus to Ongar. If it wasn't for the bus going to Ongar I wouldn't be aware that it existed. I Kept looking at the name and thinking that Dublin bus were going to hungary, and then someone where in london. The truth is less excitig.
              But to get to the bus stop you'll need a car. Last time I was in that forsaken place was 2011, there were loads of roads from cul de sacs that seemed to have no pavements. Folk move to these places to give their kids more space, a garden etc than living up urban style, and fair enough, but then you move to a box where your entire life (and the kids') needs to be planned around the car. Where there's no just walking over to your mate's gaff. If self driving shared among the citizens vehicles really do take off, half of Dublin's post 80s developments will seem ridiculous.

Comment

For political anoraks, live streaming of the Fine Gael hustings is underway on their website and Facebook page.

Comment

Coveney wins 60% of the membership vote - unfortunately for the merchant prince, that only counts for 25% of the electoral college.

Comment

Comment

This is brilliant (if it wasn't for FF waiting to pounce). They fucked away the last election by overestimating the electorate's love for lean govt, and now here comes Vlad the Impostor and his half fat Thatcherism. What were the TDs thinking of? Now they'll be expecting a disgruntled grassroots to campaign for them with enthusiasm, when they went for the dusky fruity Dub against their membership's wishes.

I wonder if the May clusterfuck will keep him from calling an election this year.

Comment

Given that Brexit will be lumbering on for the next decade, that's hardly a consideration. No, he'll become Taoiseach in the Dáil on the 13th, appoint his new Cabinet the same day, and go to the country in September, I'd imagine.

Comment

Nah, the clusterfuck was May calling an unnecessary election. I can't believe there is much personal warm feeling toward him outside of Sindo types, he risks looking going down as well as Mrs May on the doorsteps. On the other side no mandate with no election, look at Brown, but I can't see Leo as leader doing anything but increasing the chances of an FF overall majority.

Comment

Membership:

Total vote: 10,842
                            Invalid: 19
                            Varadkar: 3,772 (34.9%)
                            Coveney: 7,051 (65.1%)

Comment

That's a really pisspoor membership figure. I'd imagine even Scottish Labour could do better than that. FF and the Shinners must piss over 10,000 odd.

Comment

Total councillor vote: 222
                                Varadkar: 122 (55%)
                                Coveney: 100 (45%)

Coveney needs 32 TDs in order to cause an upset.

Comment

But he doesn't:

Varadkar 51
                                  Coveney 22

Total vote:

Varadkar 59.6%
                                  Coveney 40.4%

Comment

There are few things as stupid and still sentient as an FG representative.

Comment

Hang on a wee minute... An Indian immigrant's gay son is about to be Ireland's [strike]Taosi[/strike] Prime Minister ???

Why is he not smote?

Comment

Varadkar's so far to the right he's coming right back round the sides.

The closest thing to a pure Kill The Poor Thatcherite B'Stard for the 26 (at least since Lucinda C abandoned her career for some Quixote in black and lace tilt at abortion windmills). He's a horrible horrible classist bastard. Zero empathy. The worst of all worlds, that fuckhead having a role in a Brexit process he probably has sympathy for, and absolute tin ear to the troublesome 6 counties.

Fuck we could have handled an idiot Merchant Prince. Now malevolent evil is in charge of a Govt from the 13th.

Comment

Him being half indian is a bit weird. I knew him in college, and I never thought of him as anything other than a posh northsider with repellent classist views. He's been called a racist in the Dail and in public more often than any other Irish politician, for his use of dog whistles about non-eu emigration, and no-one has ever made reference to the incongruity of his appalling views given his non-eu father.

having a parent from another country isn't really a big deal here. I have one for instance. I mean padraig Pearse was the son of an english protestant sculptor who moved here and converted to catholicism to find work banging out statues for our nineteenth century church building frenzy, and Eamon De Valera was a half spanish New Yorker, and he was taoiseach for 21 years and president for 14 years.

I think essentially it comes down to Ireland being such a parochial place. having a parent from india is not that much different to having a parent from Donegal. Both are from somewhere else and sound a bit weird. but you're from whatever parish you're from. Leo only got elected in the first place because of his father's reputation for public service as a local GP. His contribution to the local community was the thing that people focused on, and they assumed that his son would be similar.

Also we have never, ever cared about who our politicians sleep with. It's something we largely refuse to discuss. Within a year of the decriminalization of homosexuality, the govt chief whip was cautioned by the gardai for having a rent boy in his car. He kept his job and was re-elected four times. (If that were to happen today, I think the age of the rent boy would have finished his career, but back then we were new to this.)

Reading the foreign coverage of it is a bit annoying. It's very difficult to get a sense in a lot of them that we recently voted by 2:1 to have Gay marriage, and that we're one of the most aggressively anti clericalist societies in europe, or that we've got one of the largest foreign born populations in the OECD. The three most popular political figures in the country at the moment are a 6'2" hiv + drag queen from mayo, our president, whose artistic proclivities are no secret, and David Norris, the gay rights activist to end all gay rights activists.

The thing is that this is a big deal elsewhere. This is a big deal in India for instance. India has this appalling backwards approach to homosexuality, where it's Illegal, but not prosecuted, but instead used to discriminate against gay people. I mean when do they think this is? the early 1990's? But this is important because until now the only successful indian diaspora politicians were bobby fucking jindal whose homophobia would make you ask some serious questions, and Nikki haley.

I know it's a long shot, but I'd put up with nine months of Leo limited by the fiscal compact treaty, just to see the look on the Face of Proud Irish american President Pence, when we send a brown, Gay Irishman to give him his bowl of shamrock. After that he can fuck off into political oblivion.

Comment

Like what you've done with the place - desktop version looks considerably nicer than the mobile version, though, must be said. Meanwhile, the two main victors from Varadkar's new Cabinet have been Pascal Donohue, who gets both Finance and Public Expenditure, and Simon Coveney, whose Foreign Affairs brief covers both Brexit and Northern Ireland. Women appear to be the main losers, with Frances Fitzgerald's move to Enterprise seeming a demotion after Justice, while Mary Mitchell-O'Connor has been relegated to a junior ministry.

Comment

The Jobstown 6 found not guilty, stupid case that should never have been brought, this was always going to be a victory for Murphy no matter what happened, now Burton and the DPP just look embarrassed

Comment

Reading the foreign coverage of it is a bit annoying. It's very difficult to get a sense in a lot of them that we recently voted by 2:1 to have Gay marriage
                                                The country that I left because they kept hiring people with more native sounding surnames than me had a headline that read, "Conservative Ireland elects gay PM."

It's like they were trolling me.

Comment

Meanwhile, Ireland has officially banned fracking, after a Green Party Bill passed through the Seanad.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                                    The Jobstown 6 found not guilty, stupid case that should never have been brought, this was always going to be a victory for Murphy no matter what happened, now Burton and the DPP just look embarrassed
                                                    Yep, plays into the smug Pseud's hands, Murphy probably has the safest left party seat in Dublin now. Fuckin "terrified" Burton, to think that was the worst any of the Coalition personally faced during the Austerity years. Stuck in your car for a bit. Plastic bottles thrown. The horror, the horror.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X