Oh what a beautiful morning…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's probably already out there. Somewhere.

Comment

The whole religion and Jesus for execution thing. It's almost as if Jesus wasn't wrongly accused, unfairly tried and unjustly executed.

Comment

As that piece points out, whenever Christians try to justify capital punishment, they have to rely almost entirely on the Old Testament and never mention Jesus at all.

Jesus wasn't really "wrongly" accused. He, and the movement he was stirring up, really was a threat to the Romans and their friends in the Hebrew leadership. That's how the Romans dealt with that sort of thing.

Comment

Also, as I understand it, your average Christian thinks Jesus' death was actually a pretty good thing, because it meant we weren't sinners any more, or something of that sort.

Meanwhile, in California, our death penalty is so fucked up, in comparison even to states like Oklahoma and Arizona, that it's unconstitutional.

I think in the US, the best we can hope for is that it slowly gets chipped away at, with either the liberal states actually getting rid of it, or decisions like California's to put a moratorium on, which has the eventual consequence of forcing the judiciary to rule against it. I can't see the red states getting rid any time soon.

Comment

It's the fact that the state is doing it (carrying out the retribution) that jars, for me. If a Christian victim really wants an 'eye for an eye', then lock them in a room with the (trussed-up) perpetrator and let them get on with it. Most, I suspect, would not be able to personally carry it through.

I, on the other hand, would be employing the red-hot iron tongs and hacksaws in a manner that would make Quentin Taratino violently sick.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: It's the fact that the state is doing it (carrying out the retribution) that jars, for me.
              This is the moral contradiction inherent in all countries that have the death penalty that Camus argues in 'Reflections on the Guillotine'. Morally how can the State which proscribes murder as an abhorrent evil reserve the right itself to carry out premeditated murder in response?

Comment

I wish I could edit my post from yesterday which said the execution of Wood was grisly, because according to Arizona governor Jan Brewer, Wood did not suffer during his 1 hour 40 minute long execution in which he was witnessed to gasp and groan over 600 times as the untried concoction of drugs flowed through his body.

Comment

How we used to do it...

Comment

Why is it "hanged" and not "hung" when it involves killing someone?

Comment

I'm really looking forward to reading Luke R's pro-death penalty reasoning when he's less busy, I must say.

Comment

no you mustn't

Comment

Calvert wrote: I'm really looking forward to reading Luke R's pro-death penalty reasoning when he's less busy, I must say.
                          non sequitur

Comment

Good news for once, especially given the fact the lawmakers had to override the Governor's veto.

Comment

Working...
                            X