The Indian election thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After ten years of Congress-led government under Manmohan Singh, India's first Sikh Prime Minister has retired, with Rahul Gandhi taking the reins for this campaign. It appears, however, that voters have tired of the "natural party of government" due to a history of graft, and the Hindu nationalist BJP looks set to return to power under Narenda Modi, recently outed for having a secret wife. The anti-corruption Aam Aadmi Party had been tipped to emerge as as third force, but have imploded after a spell running Delhi city council, and now look like only securing ten seats.

I'm reading this now. Sounds ominous.
    http://www.wsc.co.uk/forum-index/28-world/900898-the-indian-election-thread

Comment

Reed, not sure that's the link you intended.

As DR notes, following on his party's "only publish the manifesto the day before polling starts" strategy, Modi acknowledges for the first time that he's been married for 45 years.

After years of touting his bachelorhood, Narendra Modi, the favorite to become India’s next prime minister, quietly noted on an election registry on Wednesday that he is married.

It was Mr. Modi’s first official acknowledgment of a marriage that he abandoned 45 years ago, just weeks after the wedding. Mr. Modi, a leader of the Bharatiya Janata Party, had previously left blank official questionnaires asking him to list his marital status. But in what is perhaps a lingering sign of ambivalence, Mr. Modi listed only his wife’s first name — Jashodaben. She was born Jashodaben Chimanlal but now goes by Jashodaben Chimanlal Modi.

Comment

Crap. No, it's not. Here it is.

http://www.vox.com/2014/4/10/5597644/narendra-modi-india-elections

Comment

Each Indian MP represents almost 2 million people. Constituency surgeries must be a right bugger.

Comment

So, the polls have finally closed, and the participation rate of 66% is reportedly the highest ever. The BJP's victory was never in doubt, but the scale of Congress's mauling could yet reach unprecedented proportions.

Comment

This does seem to be the most recent mention of Modi on here. Or the most recent I can find anyway.

Which kinda makes the point.

Fuck I'm scared. And Barry Gardiner needs to FOAD.

Comment

It seems like a dreadful result at first glance. But I've been wondering whether the alternatives would have been better. They may have been, but I have no reliable sources at all.

Comment

I never thought I could think less of Barry Gardiner but there ya go. The BJP scare the shit out of me.

Comment

Congress are corrupt and useless but the BJP is Trumpism before Trump, Hindu Supremists with nukes. This is fucked.

Comment

Yes, any alternative would have been better. He's a fucking pogromist.

Comment

Pity Kashmir.

Comment

Modi, behind Netanyahu, is the trailblazer of the arc of reaction that has since taken in Erdogan, Orban, Trump and the rest. All part of the same ugliness.

And absolutely fuck Barry Gardiner off from the front bench now.

Comment

Priya Gopal as so often has been excellent on this in general (and on Gardiner in particaulr)

https://twitter.com/PriyamvadaGopal/status/1131514079280074752

Comment

Has the dim-witted weasel Gardiner had anything to say for himself since posting that appalling tweet and getting called out for it?

Comment

he put this on twitter....

https://twitter.com/BarryGardiner/status/1131635138696286208

Comment

Laughable man. He really is appalling.

Comment

And yes, Priya is right, as usual.

Comment

Modi's people.

Comment

Good God Barry Gardiner is a mess.

Comment

Working...
                                        X