Dutch execrable arsehole news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The staid world of the Dutch local elections which took place yesterday was enlivened somewhat by the increasingly deranged racist fuckwit Geert Wilder’s antics.

Last week in a campaign speech in The Hague, Wilders said that voters should vote: “for a city with fewer problems, and if it's at all possible, a few fewer Moroccans”, later in a broadcast interview with RTL Z, Wilders referred to Moroccans as “scum” and should leave the Netherlands.

Last night at a Nuremburg rally meeting in The Hague, Wilders asked his knuckle draggers- “Do we want more or less Moroccans”, the reply chanted was “less, less, less”. Wilders latest antics have caused uproar and the authorities ‘are looking into it’.

In the elections themselves, the Dutch Nazi Party, sorry PVV, only put up candidates in The Hague and the city of Almere and depressingly they were the largest party in both. An opinion poll taken last week showed that if there were a national election, Wilders PVV would be the largest party in parliament. Where is my gun and my forehead?

Interestingly, Wilders is a big advocate of free speech unless its free speech directed against him. He has threatened to sue anyone who refers to him or his policies and views in any way to a mustachioed chap from Braunau am Inn.

Expect another trial for 'hate speech', another Wilders victimhood master class and unfortunately a depressing continued rise in his support.

If there is a continued rise in his support,perhaps the reasons why should be looked into.
    Simply branding him racist (even if he is) will not neccessarily work if the masses are queueing up to identify with his message..

There is perhaps a parrallel of sorts in the UK.
    For years the immigration debate was suppressed by branding anybody who dared to open their mouth about it as a racist.Some are, some arent,and I say that as a Black son of immigrants.

Belatedly the mainstream parties are waking up to the fact that they simply have to address the issue,and stop sticking their heads in the sand..

Now,that should put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Comment

Yes, you iconoclast, Dale. Always putting our liberal orthodoxy to the test.

Dislike of immigrants, immigration, foreigners and other races is pretty much a constant of history, it's not something that has been "created" by mainstream parties hand-wringing.

"Doing something to address it" seems to be code for pandering to it - Ah, the Labour/Tories are locking up asylum seekers and demonising muslims, so we don't need to vote for an extremist party to do so, hurrah.

Fundamentally, the two things that are required to help integration are time - wave after wave of immigrants from Huguenots to Irish to Jamaicans have become fully part of British society - and prosperity.

Austerity and immigrant bashing are the two things most likely to inflame tensions.

Sorry to derail Geoffrey's thread to British examples, but it's been no different anywhere else in the West.

Comment

Dalef65 wrote: There is perhaps a parrallel of sorts in the UK.
        For years the immigration debate was suppressed by branding anybody who dared to open their mouth about it as a racist.Some are, some arent,and I say that as a Black son of immigrants.
        Does that stop you holding racist views, then?

Comment

What exactly is 'the immigration debate'?

Comment

Dalef65 wrote: If there is a continued rise in his support,perhaps the reasons why should be looked into.
            Simply branding him racist (even if he is) will not neccessarily work if the masses are queueing up to identify with his message..
            Wilders doesn’t want a debate or a conversation about immigration. The words ‘debate’ and ‘conversation’ in Wilders lexicon are merely to paint the thinnest veneer of respectability on the racism & xenophobia of he and his ilk. You cannot have “conversations or debates” with someone who openly calls a group of people “scum” and accuses them of criminality based simply upon their race and nationality.

Wilders popularity which I alluded to above as ‘depressing’, is a complicated and toxic mixture of actually existing xenophobia and racism, the continuing influence of the ‘martyrdom’ of Pim Fortuyn, the unraveling of the vaunted Dutch welfare state, the economic situation (unemployment up to 8.8% and jobless benefit claims up 22% on last year) and popular anger against the most despised coalition government in living memory under the leadership of a completely ineffectual Minister-President, Mark Rutte.

Wilders styles himself as the outsider, the maverick shooting against the establishment. He’s a wannabe martyr for free speech despite the fact that he doesn’t allow membership of his party, or open debate and his rabble are funded by some of the dodgiest dingbat, far right US and Israeli based organisations.

His toy town intellectual level of racist outbursts, populist slogans and policies have rung with many of the populace concerned with the current economic problems- “it’s immigrants innit?” and the seeming inability of the coalition government to get the country moving again economically.

As Etienne points out above, this thinking and attitude predicated upon austerity socio-economics is not exclusive to the Netherlands but Wilders presence and popularity is unique due to the points I made in this post above.

Comment

Dale, the only person I've ever witnessed playing the race card to suppress debate wasn't from the "mainstream parties", it was Godrey Bloom:

Comment

As predicted yesterday, Wilders is now playing the victim card saying that the only hate speech on display is against he and his party. He won't apologise and claims there is a national smear campaign against poor ickle him.

RTL TV for the first time took an editorial position, saying Wilders should be ashamed of himself. In addition, one of his MP's has resigned and the moderator of the Dutch Protestant Church has announced a special service to be shown live on TV in which other denominations and religions will participate.

What this storm means for Wilders political fortunes is anyone's guess but the pessimist in me believes it is only going to make him more popular at the ballot box. We'll see.

Comment

Rutte's got a cheek saying he's no longer going to work with the PVV. Is it news to him that they're racist boneheads? (And is there much point writing that sentence in the plural?) He was happy enough to lie down with dogs to form his first cabinet, no way he can complain about waking up with fleas. Or maybe it is concern that they're going for the same pig-shit thick demographic?

One of the most racist things I've heard lately - my disgust enhanced by the obliviousness with which I was told - was that I shouldn't hold that advert against the VVD as it isn't targeted at people like me.

Comment

It's worse than that BEAK. Rutte has said he won't work with the PVV as long as it sticks to its Moroccan statements. Of course, Wilders will stick with his Moroccan views but its the equivocal nature of Rutte's remarks vis a vis cooperating with Wilders and the PVV which are extraordinary. Not "I will never work with the PVV" but "I won't until..."

But then as your poster shows, the VVD have dragged themselves down to Wilders gutter level politics anyway.

Comment

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote: In addition, one of his MP's has resigned
                      Another one leaves, as well as a just-elected local councilman in Den Haag. (in Dutch)

Comment

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote: In the elections themselves, the Dutch Nazi Party, sorry PVV, only put up candidates in The Hague and the city of Almere and depressingly they were the largest party in both.
                        D66 (Dutch Lib Dems) were the biggest in The Hague. PVV are the biggest in Almere, but the other parties in Almere have enough between then to cobble together a PVV-free city council, so PVV should be kept away from the levers of power. On further reflection, I may be overestimating the other parties.

The political narrative in the Netherlands is absolutely hopeless. The Dutch-Moroccan's are onto their third generation in NL now, and are still being called "the Moroccans". The best response you will get from a leftish politician (who is also competing for the white working class vote) is, "well, some Moroccans also do good things, so lets not tar them all with the same brush."

The problem is that the debate is very much still framed as a culutural thing, i.e. suggesting that Moroccans are inherently inferior and need to learn to integrate in to Dutch society and become more Dutch. The truth is that the problems are caused, not by culutre, but by the socio-economic injustices and class immobility inherent in Dutch society. I speak fluent Dutch and wrote a university thesis in Dutch. There are plenty of jobs I applied for in the Netherlands that went to people who are less qualified than me. I know, because some of those people were in the same degree programme as me. They had no work experience (I had done work placements and also worked full-time before I went to college), they had lower grades than me and also took up to 36 months longer to finish their degrees than me. They got hired and I didn't. I eventually got a job that I was overqualified for. So I emigrated and got a suitable job somewhere else.

To be honest, I have experienced this job discrimination in other countries as well, but the Netherlands is unique in that when even the most flagrant job discrimination is exposed, the government will say that it is not necessarily racism.

They want to steal cake from others, have the cake, eat the cake, and then shit all over the people they stole the cake from.

The Dutch racism ombudsman (who is white and has a proper Dutch name) highlighted all these job discrimination things (in Dutch only) and was basically told by the government that he didn't know what he was talking about. So he quit.

None of the parties (save GroenLinks, who the media have done a hatchet job on) are going to do anything. Fighting racism in the Netherlands, a racist country with a racist media, costs you votes. It's that simple.

Comment

BEAK wrote: Rutte's got a cheek saying he's no longer going to work with the PVV. Is it news to him that they're racist boneheads? (And is there much point writing that sentence in the plural?) He was happy enough to lie down with dogs to form his first cabinet, no way he can complain about waking up with fleas. Or maybe it is concern that they're going for the same pig-shit thick demographic?

One of the most racist things I've heard lately - my disgust enhanced by the obliviousness with which I was told - was that I shouldn't hold that advert against the VVD as it isn't targeted at people like me.
                          Of course not. My aunt's lived in the Netherlands for 30 years and barely speaks Dutch - in part because everybody hears her accent and speaks English to her. Nobody has a problem with this.

She's white and American, so she's A-OK. Meanwhile somebody who has never known a world outside of the Netherlands is a piece of shit because they're Muslim and their parents are from Morocco.

Comment

Hilariously, this was a campaign video for VVD Amsterdam, with many different languages.

The two most idiotic VVD posters were: "Less rules, more jobs" (hmm yeah, perhaps if there had been rules and regulations in place at ABN AMRO) and "Your house is not a piggy bank for the city council." (Well, indeed, seeing as Holland has the highest mortgage debt in the world, houses are a piggy bank for the banks, all thanks to VVD policy).

Comment

Bryaniek,

You make very interesting points. I said the PVV were the largest party based on initial exit polls, they were indeed overtaken by D66.

I’ve lived in Zwolle for just under 10 years and although it has a 120k population, it’s a place which knows itself as “een grote dorp”. The Randstad really is a separate country from this side. Zwolle is overwhelmingly white and you very rarely see ethnic minorities. However two work colleagues, one married to a Bolivian, the other married to a Hungarian, have said that they have observed a real hardening of attitudes towards their partners over the last five years. This is despite the fact their partners speak perfect Dutch. I also know an Iranian bloke who has lived here 22 years and he said the atmosphere has never been as bad. As Flynnie alludes to above, being from the UK, I have never had a single instance of any problems but the casual racism seems to be much more apparent here than in the UK.

A good example is this jaw-dropping clip from The Voice of Holland from last year, one of those inane, brain cell destroying but immensely popular talent shows. Gordon Heuckeroth jokes about the Chinese contestant like it is 1972. Zwarte Piet is another one. I have never spoken to any Dutch person who is even able to countenance that the tradition may be racist and hugely offensive to the Black population in the Netherlands. All anecdotal of course but your example of Alex Brenninkmeijer, the national ombudsman’s condemnation of the Netherlands as institutionally racist was damning in the extreme.

I would estimate that Wilders has about the same percentage of support nationwide as Le Pen in France. These nutcases are gathering strength all over Europe, I sometimes fear we are entering a new dark period.

Comment

Mark Rutte does a Berlusconi at the Nuclear security summit. Wait for the end of the clip for the juicy bit.

Kudos to the guy asking the questions, this is how you highlight the Zwarte Piet issue. Ask the Prime Minister a question about it, in English, at a major international meeting.

Comment

Bryaniek wrote: Mark Rutte does a Berlusconi at the Nuclear security summit. Wait for the end of the clip for the juicy bit.
                                  For.Fucks.Sake.

Comment

Oh Jesus,

A tsunami of right wing outrage is making its way towards the Netherlands, and not even the renowned flood defences will keep this back. The murderer of Pim Fortuyn is set for early release in line with Dutch law.

Comment

So, the blonde bumshell is to prosecuted for his fewer Moroccans chant. The public prosecutor has charged him with discrimination and incitement to hatred.

Only last week, Wilders defended himself saying he wouldn't take back a single word he said and invoked the words of Martin Luther King in his defence. Yes, you read that right.

What this will result in is a surge of support for Wilders ranging from "he is only saying what many of us are thinking" to "GEERT U FUCKING LEGEND!!". What could also cause a headache is that the Government is on a shoogly peg at the moment over healthcare "reform" and should it fall, Geert the Martyr would be in line for a rocking comeback in a subsequent general election.

Comment

From the title, I thought Dennis Bergkamp was in the news.

Comment

Working...
                                        X