X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Comment

Comment

That's a very US style number plate on the Jensen.

Are those new?

Comment

The Mini is an import. UK plate and right-hand drive.

Comment

I think it’s feasible both plates are legit NSW because one can do all sorts of things re. personalisation of plates here. I think it’s a sideline for Services NSW. Also Amor de Cosmos RHD could easily be originally registered here.

Edit: that Mini isn’t as old as it looks at first glance, is it? Modern door mirrors, concealed door hinges, and it looks like the windows wind rather than slide. So that lends weight to AdC’s theory; an 80s/90s one shipped out and retro-fitted into a Cooper S. Still gorgeous though but if it was mine I would definitely get old mirrors. Oh and it’s got later rear lights, door handles...

Edit # 2: No Qs on UK plates, and the format is legit: my Saab is BHY 58N
              Last edited by Sits; 20-10-2021, 01:53.

Comment

Comment

Latest spot. In my opinion cars like this (I suspect it might be pre-1960) should not be "pimped" but still better that it's loved and not scrapped long since.

Comment

The wheels look ok (could be Minilites?) but the grill is bloody awful and the spoiler isn't great either.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                      the spoiler isn't great either
                      The only thing I've heard of being a spoiler is a wing or flare on the back of the car, which I can't see here, is there an alternate meaning?

Comment

I was a bit confused, too. I think he means the air dam.

Comment

Is that a Morris Minor, or...?

Comment

Probably used incorrectly, used to refer to the bit under the front bumper (might also be called an air dam?)

Comment

(Or see WOM comment above, which I might've done if I'd noticed there was another page on the thread)

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                Is that a Morris Minor, or...?
                                Yeah.

Comment

It’s a very early Morris Minor; the grille is original, it has a split screen and (although modern indicators have been added) there are flip-up indicators within the B pillars. They didn’t flash; I remember them from childhood and they were alrady old. The below link suggests an early Minor II which would be early 1950s. So there’s a 70ish year old car lurking under that air dam and flashy wheels.
                                  Last edited by Sits; 12-03-2022, 00:12.

Comment

My wife was excited to tell me someone near us had a 2CV under a tarp in their driveway. It was a Morris Minor, but it was sweet of her to think of me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                      It’s a very early Morris Minor; the grille is original, it has a split screen and (although modern indicators have been added) there are flip-up indicators within the B pillars. They didn’t flash; I remember them from childhood and they were alrady old. The below link suggests an early Minor II which would be early 1950s. So there’s a 70ish year old car lurking under that air dam and flashy wheels.
                                      I really liked flip-up indicators. For a kid it seemed like the car was waving at you. Our first two cars — a 1936 Morris 16, and 1952 Triumph Renown — both had them.

Comment

Trafficators, they were known as.

Comment

Never mind what they look like, old cars are now worth more than new ones

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                                            Never mind what they look like, old cars are now worth more than new ones
                                            I wish I’d bought two of every pair of trainers growing up. Wore one, kept one. Folks go wild for even the most get-slagged-off-at-school shoe. I guess that goes for everything. Actually, Only Lovers Left Alive makes a great theme of all that.

Comment

My Toyota Prado is nearly 24 years old, so must be worth a fortune.

Comment

My Toyota Prado is nearly 24 years old, so must be worth a fortune.
                                                Hipsters will buy it for the tape-deck alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Slightly Brown View Post

Hipsters will buy it for the tape-deck alone.
                                                  Gah! We replaced it with a CD player in about 2005.

Comment

Gah! We replaced it with a CD player in about 2005.
                                                    You just cost yourself some serious dollars, my friend. (Hang onto it, though: CD-players might Hallley’s Comet-it back into fashion. Assuming they haven’t already.)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X