Old cars that now look tremendous.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The picture of the Triumph Dolomite has reminded me that I have seen a lot of cars from my childhood that now seem rather nice amongst these identikit cars we see nowadays.

Obviously, there is the Ford Capri Mark 1, the UK's version of the Mustang

but recently I saw a white Rover SD1 in Bath and, 2 decades on, it is a quite lovely car

Another car I think looks brilliant nowadays, a UK muscle car, is the Ford Cortina MK3. I saw a matt black version of one of these with heavy metal belt studs along the trim. It looked, I have to say, ace.

I have got a soft spot for renault 5s mainly because I had a vintage one for my first car that we destroyed by, well, driving it. It wasn't as smart as this version but I would love to get one of these and race it.

Finally, and there nothing surprising about this as it is the best car in the world ever, the Jaguar XJ6 Series 2. Firstly, as it is beautiful and, secondly, because my father owned one

I agree with that post.

Comment

I've still got one of these bad boys on the road, 14 years old and from the days when Renault made nice looking cars as well as just world class engines

They've never made a decent Megane since. Mine's in racing green and has done 95,000 miles.

Comment

Struggling with the Renault 5 though. It has a certain charm but I thought it was boxy and functional when I was a kid and I still think so now. Beloved of UK secondary school teachers in the 80s.

Always thought the Trabant had a lot of character. Although I remember one driving past me in Berlin once and it sounded like a lawnmower.

Comment

I liked its functionality. Going to a gig, its boot was exactly as wide as my Marshall 50W JMP Master Mk II combo.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:

but recently I saw a white Rover SD1 in Bath and, 2 decades on, it is a quite lovely car

I prefer the earlier mark Rover:

Comment

With the exception of the Renault 5, Bored's list is only missing a Mk.1 Granada to look like a late 90s banger racing grid.

Anyway - this might just be me, but the Fiat 128 3P coupe was a pretty little thing

And similar to Rogin, I had a Megane - a 1400 Coupe, was a lovely car but found itself swapped for a Jeep Cherokee which proved to be unpractically thirsty.

Comment

Sean of the Shed wrote:
                Originally posted by Bored of Education

My dad had a Rover TC2000 that looked just like this until I was 11. Both he and I miss that car like hell.

Comment

Sean of the Shed wrote:
                  Originally posted by Bored of Education

Those are growing on me. They were monster cars, weren't they? Actually, another of my Dad's was one of these.

Not pretty but a 2.5 litre engine under a pretty lightweight body. Indeed, most of the cars from this time, from the Cortina to the Rovers, matched family design to pretty punchy engines.

We borrowed one of these much older cars for a while but another monster of a family car.

Comment

For a brief time at school, before my parents came to their senses, i drove one of these:

Yes, that's the "SJ" model, with 428 cu in. Getting a bit of a stiffie just remembering it.

Would probably still trade it for my grandfather's car, though:

Comment

The first car was a heavily rusted Toledo but since the Dolomite was what kicked this off, ours was a 1500SE. Limited edition, only came in this scheme. The amazing thing is, it was a total dog in terms of mechanical problems and rust, but we still loved it:

Great thread.

Comment

I'm going to post the Shit out of this thread tomorrow when I'm at a computer.

Comment

One of the things I like about Spring & Summer coming round is that if you go out on a Sunday afternoon for a ride/drive, you're as likely as not to chance across a few classics making their way to or from a car show somewhere.

But since this thread seems to be about some of the more 'ordinary' cars from yesteryear, I won't bring pricey sports cars into it. Instead, some cars I've enjoyed seeing on the roads in the last couple of years have included...

-

-

-

-

Comment

From the same company that brought you the Multipla, a 1969 Fiat Dino.

Comment

When I was a teenager I wanted a 1997 Honda Prelude. I have to say, they still look the business:

Comment

There's a couple of original Minis still knocking round our area which keep looking better whenever I see them. Especially when compared to the "retro"^ Mini which is huge by comparison. One of them us a Countryman:

And on the subject of Rovers, Mrs. S's stepbrother used to have one of these, with "suicide" back doors. In two-tone green like this if memory serves:

^when I were a lad retros were little rockets used to steer spacecraft.

Comment

alyxandr wrote:

Would probably still trade it for my grandfather's car, though:

Parking must be fun with that. Try that in Rome some time.

Comment

1938 car

Comment

Sits With Rivelinho wrote: The first car was a heavily rusted Toledo but since the Dolomite was what kicked this off, ours was a 1500SE. Limited edition, only came in this scheme. The amazing thing is, it was a total dog in terms of mechanical problems and rust, but we still loved it:

Great thread.
                                      My second car was a 1300cc version Toledo, in light powder blue - god it was rust magnet, and had bushes that kept going around the gear stick, whih meant I had to keep holding the gear stick or it would rattle like hell.
                                      It finally died a death on the M3 - clutch, I think in the end it went to the breakers yard - it was pretty dead all round.
                                      Speaking of Dolomites, my friend had a Sprint, and he actually carried a spare top part of an engine (whats that piece called that screws onto the gasket?) as the Sprint engine's 16 valves were so strangly arranged it was always distorting, and blowing gaskets.
                                      When it was all lined up though, it was a reall beast though.

Comment

As Sits said; the old mini. In various forms.

Comment

Looked tremendous then, too!

Comment

We had one of these.

Until my dad decided a "permanently on oil light" was no cause for alarm and the thing seized completely on the Newark Road.

We replaced it with one that belongs on the "other" thread…

Comment

Is that a Zodiac Guy? Or a Zephyr?

Which puts me in mind of those 60s Fords; I always liked the Corsair:

Comment

Sits With Rivelinho wrote: Is that a Zodiac Guy? Or a Zephyr?

Which puts me in mind of those 60s Fords; I always liked the Corsair:

It's a "Consul Classic". Like I've intimated elsewhere, I'm not a fan of the "Corsair".

Comment

Ah yes Guy I see - so the Corsair is the first to feature on both sides of the divide.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X