No announcement yet.

Old cars that now look tremendous.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has a very lovely shape, for sure. A bit like a '60s Alfa and a '60s Camaro melded together.

Volvo have some very lovely stuff out and arriving soon, including a very sharp electric Polestar sedan.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
      Sounds like business for a "cars I get mixed up" thread. Camaro and Dodgers are just different brands of the same car.
      You are just trolling now

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

Looks like a Dodge Charger.
        Another favourite of mine but I was always put off by the ridiculous petrol consumption which this negates.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
          It has a very lovely shape, for sure. A bit like a '60s Alfa and a '60s Camaro melded together.

Volvo have some very lovely stuff out and arriving soon, including a very sharp electric Polestar sedan.
          That is nice.

Comment

Geely have done very well with their purchase by just letting Volvo do their thing. I really wish the same had been done for SAAB, but GM etc etc.

Comment

In the absence of any rallying to go and watch since the virus hit, I've been to my local race circuit (Oulton Park in Cheshire, about an hour away) a few times during the summer. One meeting featured a concours competition and the winners with the most desirable, rare and well-presented classics were invited to have a couple of laps of the track. Most of them were nice enough, but the one that made me really sit up and take notice was a Lamborghini Islero - a car I'd never even heard of.

Comment

I used to love the vintage meets at Oulton Park.

Comment

How long ago did you used to go to them, GO?

Comment

Sixties, seventies and the last time was in 1984.

Comment

So when I go to the historic meetings now, I'm watching cars that were modern when you used to go....

Think my first visit was 1990 (when I moved to Liverpool).

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                        So when I go to the historic meetings now, I'm watching cars that were modern when you used to go....
                        Ha! Almost certainly...

Comment

It's similar to me chatting with Carlisle fans in the Beehive back in 1991 saying that I think of Carlisle as a second division club...

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                            It's similar to me chatting with Carlisle fans in the Beehive back in 1991 saying that I think of Carlisle as a second division club...
                            And both those days and the era you watched at Oulton Park could legitimately be thought of as Golden Years.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                              I never chatted with Carlisle fans in the Beehive and I'm a Carlisle fan.

(Obviously I jest. I just talked to the people I knew.)

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                Geely have done very well with their purchase by just letting Volvo do their thing. I really wish the same had been done for SAAB, but GM etc etc.
                                SAAB still lives on in a zombie life as a Chinese company, NEVS, National Electric Vehicles Sweden, producing EVs on the ancient 9-3 platform.

Comment

Ah, just read up. Zombie indeed. Tesla builds a few million cars while NEVS is still working out the bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                                    In the absence of any rallying to go and watch since the virus hit, I've been to my local race circuit (Oulton Park in Cheshire, about an hour away) a few times during the summer. One meeting featured a concours competition and the winners with the most desirable, rare and well-presented classics were invited to have a couple of laps of the track. Most of them were nice enough, but the one that made me really sit up and take notice was a Lamborghini Islero - a car I'd never even heard of.

Bloody hell, I had to double check that that wasn't one of my two favourite cars - a Corvette Stingray or a Ferrari Daytona. Gorgeous and, like the Daytona, one of the few of that marque that I like. I have to say that the original premise was cars that, in retrospect, look tremendous whereas I can't imagine any contemporary onlookers of that would feel anything else but that it was tremendous.

Comment

Quirky selection round the side of the service station where I filled the Prado today. A tiny old Daihatsu flatbed ute, an 80s vintage Saab 900 Turbo, and a (very Aussie) 70s Chrysler Valiant.

Comment

This belongs here, I feel

Famed French cabinetmaker Michel Robillard took six years to complete this stunning Citroen 2CV wooden sculpture.

Comment

The Chrysler Valiant brings back memories. My parents had a (1972ish?) US Plymouth Valiant for most of the 80s.

Comment

A '66 Valiant was the car I got my license it. Tough as nails, had it through most of the early 80s.

Comment

My mom's car when I was a kid was a '72 Valiant 'Scamp'. 2 door, blue with black vinyl roof.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                                This belongs here, I feel
                                                J’adore.

Comment

These were the butt of some ridicule in the UK, but we had one (a 940 Turbo) and it was a great car. Best turning circle I’ve known, and its finest hour was bringing 85 bottles of wine back from a Dordogne holiday, squirrelled away amongst two adults, three young kids and all their luggage.

Comment

Now that's a proper Volvo. My brother-in-law drives a bulbous monstrosity that has no business wearing a Volvo badge.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X