Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
    Tragic.

What happened to that innocent herb-sniffing boy.
    Brexit. And Jose. And amortization.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
      T The professional schools are often nowhere near the main undergraduate (and graduate) campus. Harvard Medical School is in Boston (as is Tufts, whose campus is even fierther from Boston than Cambridge is).
      I work at Harvard Kennedy School - we are 1500 yards from the College - not as close as SEAS or the Law School. And Cambridge is most definitely NOT a suburb of Boston. Fck that. Different Mayoral outlooks, different populations.Different in sooo many ways. But Ursus knows that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled off Main Street View Post
        I work at Harvard Kennedy School - we are 1500 yards from the College - not as close as SEAS or the Law School. And Cambridge is most definitely NOT a suburb of Boston. Fck that. Different Mayoral outlooks, different populations.Different in sooo many ways. But Ursus knows that.
        Suburb isn’t meant to imply “similar.”

It’s right next to Boston, is smaller than Boston, and it’s a different municipality. We don’t really have a better term for that in US English than “suburb,” though it doesn’t fit the image of what we normally would think of as a “suburb” - mostly residential, less density than the city itself, etc.

Comment

Apart from the Mayoral thing leafy collegiate Glasgow west end could argue the same and declare independence from the city over the ring road. Is it like Manchester/Salford or esp Newcastle/Gateshead where there's no break in the Urban core bar a river? Or Leeds/Bradford where there's a definite sense of difference in space and each having a proper core?

Comment

Is Oakland a suburb of San Francisco? Is Brooklyn (or Newark) a suburb of New York?

I sense that we are operating from rather different definitions of suburb.

The predominant commuting pattern from Cambridge is not to and from Boston. Sure, some people do that, but more commute within Cambridge or to another part of the region.
            Last edited by ursus arctos; 27-06-2019, 19:47.

Comment

Brooklyn is a borough of New York City, but in a different county, which is kind of a unique arrangement.

We don't really have a general word for what Cambridge is to Boston or what Oakland is to San Francisco or what Newark is to New York.

Minnesota has adopted the term "Twin City" but that's because people in either city have a big chip on their shoulder about it. By contrast, there aren't many people in Cambridge who refuse to go to Fenway until the Red Sox change their name to the Massachusetts Red Sox.

I don't know what "suburb" means in the UK, but my friend in Sydney said that in Australia it just means any defined subsection of a city. So under that definition, Brooklyn is a suburb but then, I guess, so is Greenwich Village.

We also have the expression "bedroom community." But Cambridge isn't really that either. It has too much industry and commerce to be that.
              Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 27-06-2019, 20:14.

Comment

How does the Minneapolis/St Paul thing work in practice? Are they right next to each other?

Comment

Opposite sides of the Mississippi.

Significant travel between them in both directions. Not unlike Buda and Pest in very, very broad strokes (St Paul is Buda, Minneapolis is Pest).

Comment

Try Barcelona (2nd most populous city in Spain) and L'Hospitalet de Llobregat (16th biggest) for two cities where there is virtually no meaningful geographical separation at all.

Comment

Santa Monica is part of LA. Cambridge is part of Boston. Brooklyn is part of New York. Just because they have different municipal governments doesn't mean they are meaningfully distinct.

*Ducks*

Comment

Yeah the biggest separation seemed to be curtural and ethnic (Spanish v Catalan) between BCN and L'Hospitalet when I lived there.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                          Opposite sides of the Mississippi.

Significant travel between them in both directions. Not unlike Buda and Pest in very, very broad strokes (St Paul is Buda, Minneapolis is Pest).
                          They began on opposite sides of the river, but the river isn't the border. Not all of it, anyway.
                          https://www.minnpost.com/stroll/2013...come-together/

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                            Yeah the biggest separation seemed to be curtural and ethnic (Spanish v Catalan) between BCN and L'Hospitalet when I lived there.
                            Which one did you live in and which one was for you more Catalan? I lived in Hospitalat and had the impression there were, percentage wise, more immigrants there (I mean internal immigrants from Andalucia etc). There are areas of Barcelona (Sarria for example) where you nearly always hear Catalan as opposed to Spanish.

Comment

I was Eixample, Barri Gotic and Gracia, molt Catala all. This was twenty years back when a guiri tefl waster could afford to live in such areas.
                              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 27-06-2019, 20:42.

Comment

A lot of my castellano speaking Andaluz background students came from areas like L'Hospitalet but.

Comment

I was there 20 years ago as well; left in 99.

Comment

98-2001 veteran of the TEFL wars here. Christ we guiris as a collective were obnoxious degenerates.

Comment

Where is Kamala Harris to lock these people up whilst cackling like the wicked witch of the west?

Comment

Funny how she's never around when you need her.

Comment

Working...
                                        X