Maybe there IS a god...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe there IS a god...

So last night I'm over at P's house and we decide to go out to eat as her fridge is broken/can't be arsed to cook etc.

We strolled in Mez, a Turkish restaurant thst does lovely food and is under a minutes walk from her gaff.
    the music in there was much louder than usual when we sat down and it was a bit busier than I've seen it before.
    Blissfully the song finished and for 3 or 4 minutes there was quiet.
    Then, as I'm trying to decide whether to have Dolmades or Sukuk to start the music bangs in twice as loud as before and a belly dancer appears. Now, the music was annoying enough, but suddenly all the girls on the big table at the back decided it would be grand to stand about 6 inches from my ear, clapping like fucking seals along with the music, while people took paparazi-like photos from all round our table, at one point barging me out of the way. After a few minutes it all became too annoying so we left (after almost having to fight off the manager who was trying to manhandle me back into my seat.)
    Now, I realise that it might be a bit killjoy and that these people were only having fun. But you know, right next to me?
    So anyway, we walked up to Canary Wharf instead, my right ear still ringing. Sat down in Carlucio's ordered some wine...
    ...and the fucking fire alarm went off. For 10 minutes.
    Someone up there hates me.

Maybe there IS a god...

I was to an Arabic (Lebanese, I think) restaurant for my birthday last year, with my parents, fiancee and brother. When the waiter found out it was my birthday he made some comment (although I didn't hear him properly at the time or I'd probably have said something) about getting me up to dance with the belly dancer. I'm an absolutely terrible dancer, and in any case I just wanted to sit and enjoy dinner, so the thought frankly terrified me.

Sure enough, a belly dancer came out shortly after and got some of the patrons up to dance. Fortunately she didn't go for me - I did everything I could to avoid catching her eye or look in any way inclined to dance - but my terror at being asked up actually impaired my enjoyment of the meal.

Which I accept is probably really silly, and makes me look like a bit of a killjoy too, but there we go.

Comment

Maybe there IS a god...

It wasn't the dancing, it was the cataclysmic volume of the music and the bunch or fuckwits standing around her (and right next to me) clapping like simpletons at a Boyzone concert.

Comment

Maybe there IS a god...

Don't get me wrong, I love watching it. It was th thought of having to attempt it in a room full of strangers when all I wanted to do was enjoy my dinner that filled me with terror.

Comment

Maybe there IS a god...

Against my better judgement, I ended up getting twice with belly dancers while on holiday years ago and actually really enjoyed it.

Mind you, I enjoyed bingo in a Cuban holiday camp once as well.

I think starting drinking at lunchtime may have had something to do with it

Comment

Maybe there IS a god...

Bored Of Discipline wrote:
            Mind you, I enjoyed bingo in a Cuban holiday camp once as well.

House!

Comment

Maybe there IS a god...

It was roughly akin to that.

It was built for the Russians in the 70s and was the biggest pile of concrete I have ever seen.

Unlimited free Pina Coladas from 11.30am though

Comment

Maybe there IS a god...

I went to a Turkish restuarant once. Ah, the memories....

The shift of rounded thighs. The erotic undulation of a convex, rounded belly, a shimmering onyx jewel embedded within the navel. The muscles of the back flowing in complete accord with the clamorous music. The flowing silk that wound around the body like snakes. The feet that slipped and slid across the floor as if on a sheet of ice...

Wasn't the best job I ever had, but it paid well.

Comment

Maybe there IS a god...

Note to self: Stop eating and drinking whilst reading WSC fora.

Comment

Maybe there IS a god...

And once more God wafts the smell of piss in my general direction.
                    For the 2nd journey in 3, the nutter on the tube got on my carriage.
                    He talked to himself quite a bit and then decided he needed some air, so spreadeagled himself across the window at the front of the carriage.
                    The problem with this nutter was that he had a rather pungent and pervasive odour about him. Sort of like a cross between a greek beach toilet and an old peoples home. As he was stood in the window, said odour was distributed liberally down the carriage.
                    Still, it made a nice change from me being the only person in the carriage who actually noticed something. Like when I'm the only person who doesn't stare intently at whatever they're reading or pretend to be asleep when a pregnant woman gets on.
                    5 times in 6 journeys I had to give up me seat while everyone around me pretended the poor girls didn't exist.
                    On a related note, I have never once seen a woman give up her seat for a pregnant woman. So much for sisterhood, eh?

Comment

Maybe there IS a god...

On a related note, I have never once seen a woman give up her seat for a pregnant woman. So much for sisterhood, eh?
                      My girlfriend did yesterday. Which pissed me off no end, as it meant I was wedged in next to fatty, rather than my half-a-seat missus.

Joke.

Comment

Working...
                      X