The Sun and the disappearing rasta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bit that cracks me up is that they left his knee in. A ghost knee.

Haha. Fucking hell.

Comment

Those duplicate water patterns in place of the gentleman and his rogue knee are a sign that the Sun now employ rat-arsed three year olds in its picture editing department.

Comment

Aye. I did a better job of editing a rogue baby and pram out of a photo of my missus and her mate in a hammock at Latitude.

Comment

I thought this was going to be a thread about why one doesn't seem to see Rastafarians about anymore. I used to see loads of them out and about when I was a nipper.

Comment

HORN wrote:
            I thought this was going to be a thread about why one doesn't seem to see Rastafarians about anymore. I used to see loads of them out and about when I was a nipper.
            Nonsense! You still see loads of them about:

Oh! Hang on!

Comment

I saw a (white) bloke on Brighton beach yesterday with the longest dreadlocks in the world. Literally down to his ankles. You know, I reckon there's a point where you ought to think about having a haircut, and that point is surely when it's trailing around in dogshit.

Comment

I saw a black rasta (shock, horror) in Guildford (even more shock, horror) last year and he, too, had dreads that were dragging along the ground behind him. One of them seemed about to snap off at the tip, due to being dragged, so I guess that's how he kept them trimmed.

That Tom Whatsisname from Scritti Politti (Mk.1) had some of the most impressive dreads I've ever seen. I remember him appearing on (what I'm pretty sure was) a Maker front cover with them, once.

Comment

They would have been better off painting his skin beige, or Photoshopping a Lady Di mask onto his face.

Comment

Are you talking about that rasta or Newton Faulkner, now?

Either way, you're right. I've got some suggestions as to some beige stuff I'd like to see Newton Faulkner's face painted with, too.

Comment

I love how that site is trying to say that Photoshopping out the rasta is an example of racism. Despite the fact that you can clearly see their problem - they've squeezed in a headline at the top, and his head would be sticking up and obscuring the text, so he had to go...

Comment

Taylor wrote:
                        I love how that site is trying to say that Photoshopping out the rasta is an example of racism. Despite the fact that you can clearly see their problem - they've squeezed in a headline at the top, and his head would be sticking up and obscuring the text, so he had to go...
                        So, like this, then?...

Okay, it's a mock-up, but it's one of many possible examples where they do precisely that.

Add to that the fact that the text and the rasta's hat are of contrasting colours and that doesn't really wash, Taylor.

Comment

Taylor wrote:
                          Yeah. Anyone whose worked in Photoshop knows you have to Rastaize the font.

Comment

I've got to agree with Taylor. It seems pretty obviously to be a botched attempt to fit the picture with the headline.

Comment

evilC wrote:
                              So, like this, then?...
                              That picture doesn't show up for me.

evilC wrote:
                              Add to that the fact that the text and the rasta's hat are of contrasting colours and that doesn't really wash, Taylor.
                              But he's taller than that - it wouldn't be his hat overlapping, it would be his hair and face, both of which are dark enough to fuck up the text. If you're putting text on a sea-blue background, it really has to be black text (anything else is either unreadable or creates a horrible stroboscopic effect) so if there's a black man in the way, you've got a problem. I can imagine even The Sun's art department feeling a bit awkward about it.

Comment

I find it offensive that they keep publishing pictures of William, whoever the hell he is with.

Comment

Don't tell me it wouldn't have been easier to alter the content, size or positioning of the headline, rather than Photoshop the image (although it does look like the Photoshopping has taken all of ten seconds work).

Comment

Resetting the headline to accommodate rasta's existence would have been much simpler. Especially when using a picture other publications might run as well!

That Photoshop disaster blog is quite hilarious. Though some pics I can't see the joke. Still, the half cloned-out chest of drawers (end of June) is very amusing.

Comment

Plus, the text of the headline has a 'halo' around it, just so that you can see it against darker colours, should it overlay any.

The Sun often uses that trick of allowing someone's head/limbs/breasts to obscure part of a headline anyway - and often more than might have been obscured by that bloke's head/hat.

Comment

Nah, I had the same thought as Taylor soon as I saw this. It's the blogger who just sees "a rasta", rather just than an awkwardly placed person, in the picture.

Even if the Sun's picture editor was racist, why the fuck would s/he get rid of a black man in a servile role at the back of a boat?

Comment

I'm supposed to be working...

Comment

Yeah, but the point is, if it was another marine sat in a similar position, I think it's very unlikely they would have 'Shopped him into oblivion.

Comment

. Especially when using a picture other publications might run as well!
                                              That applies to the racism argument too. I've seen far too many instances of photos being manipulated to fit a page layout to put this down to racism. Usually you'll only do the photo-over-headline thing if the headline is large and in its own frame, so that it's very obvious what the obscured text is. That's simply not the case with this page, where the headline is set against the sea.

Yeah, but the point is, if it was another marine sat in a similar position, I think it's very unlikely they would have 'Shopped him into oblivion.
                                              Maybe, but they've done it many times before.

Comment

I love this one. It looks like every single element in the photo is a different image. How hard can it be to take a photo of a shed with some people around it?

Comment

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                                                  Aye. I did a better job of editing a rogue baby and pram out of a photo of my missus and her mate in a hammock at Latitude.
                                                  Any old fool can photoshop these days.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X