The North

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The North

Shameless semi-self promotion (I had nothing to do with it), but we've launched a gorgeous series on Canada's North here:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/the-north/the-magnetic-north/article16364070/

The North

That was quite a read. I'm off to turn the heating down.

My cousin and her husband emigrated from here to Vancouver, he joined the Mounties and did a couple of years in Dawson City, which always seemed impossibly remote - turns out it's just another southern softy town.

Comment

The North

I flew over that northern Canada place last week. It looked very, very big, and very, very cold.

Comment

The North

I love going onto Google maps and then using Streetview (and the photos) to look around in places like Kamchatka or the far North of Russia and Canada. Just the other day, I was looking at Arviat in Nunavut, for instance. It's not a great example, I suppose, as it's not so far North nor that small. The photos are presumably all from the Summer too. But I (kind of) love the way that, if you follow that road '3rd Avenue' North, eventually it just runs out! No-one's even taken any photos (and attached them to the map) there! I'm guessing there'd be snow ...and rocks.

Anyway, I guess my point is, ummm... that I'm a sickening armchair tourist! Seriously, though, I do love being able to look around such places with ease, these days.

Comment

The North

Using Google Maps, I have just worked out that the furthest to travel to a pub in the United Kingdom is 60 miles from Fair Isle to The Westings Inn, Wormadale Hill, Shetland.

That is the furthest.

Comment

The North

Bored of Education wrote: Using Google Maps, I have just worked out that the furthest to travel to a pub in the United Kingdom is 60 miles from Fair Isle to The Westings Inn, Wormadale Hill, Shetland.

That is the furthest.
            You'd still want to make sure you have a final pee before you head home though

Comment

The North

Comment

The North

Erics Inner Monologue wrote:
                Where's that then? Got a photo somewhere of same in big fuck-off letters round back of Islington Mill. Anyway, sure I posted this here before, but in rejoinder:

Comment

The North

That's a great piece, WOM, cheers for posting!

Comment

Working...
                  X