Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pensions above inflation. Minimum wage up by 10%.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£7 an hour, Osborne reckons

If "it's the economy, stupid" the Tories have got 2015 sewn up. Apart from, well, the unemployed, and the middle classes (many of whose children are, though, probably on minimum wage in their Saturday jobs). All in all it's making for an interesting electoral battleground.

The economic recovery is based largely on the same illusory bubble as before, people are still pretty skint and personal household indebtedness is rising again, which Gideon is actively encouraging. And seven quid an hour is still not a living wage.

And the NHS and education systems are being destroyed.

But whatever floats your boat, if it tempts you to vote Tory again. Not that I've got much political optimism at the moment.

Comment

I hope you appreciate that my "it's the economy, stupid" reference above is not intended as a troll at anyone here, or indeed intended to inspire any sane analysis of the actual economic situation - but pointing to the political idea that if people see money in their pockets (or even better the PROMISE of money in their pockets) that's the way they vote. The Tories are dangling the carrot in front of the pensioners and the "hard-working low-income families". Do they need to buy anyone else off?

Comment

Someone here just proposed raising the minimum from $10 an hour to $14. Prepare for a lot of wailing and rending of garments as Business tells you how it will bankrupt them and send us all back to the stone ages. It won't, of course, but they say it every time.

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote: The economic recovery is based largely on the same illusory bubble as before, people are still pretty skint and personal household indebtedness is rising again, which Gideon is actively encouraging. And seven quid an hour is still not a living wage.

And the NHS and education systems are being destroyed.
          As usual with E10, this. This economic recovery is a secretive beast. While it is talked about a lot, I can't see any evidence around me or anywhere else, for that matter.

Comment

I can, but only in literally insane house prices

Comment

And let's face it homeowners - even previously Labour voting ones - are another secret Tory voting shoe-in demographic, while prices are going up.

Comment

No NHS but your house is worth a few extra quid

Woo-hoo!

Here's hoping the selfish fucks don't contract anything deadly and have private health cover.

Comment

If these bastards win next time, it'll make the post-92 election depression seem like a laugh. It'll be a proper "turn out the lights" moment.

Comment

When's the next election?

Comment

May '15, I believe. I think the 5 year term is fixed now. No early calling allowed.

Comment

Funny how the Tories are try to capture the low income families whilst Miliband is sniffing around the middle classes. It's like he isn't even aware of what Labour were about before Kinnock.

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote: If these bastards win next time, it'll make the post-92 election depression seem like a laugh. It'll be a proper "turn out the lights" moment.
                          If you are right about all this,then perhaps you mean "blow out the candles"..

Comment

A mild uptick in the economy and even a small rise in house prices and the Tories win the next election with ease. Then hello workhouses and kiss the environment goodbye.

Comment

But this is already happening and they're not ahead in the polls

Comment

I mean, I'm instinctively pessimistic - not least because the left in this country is in such a wretched state and the Labour party's making of the counter-argument is somewhat uneven - but I get no sense that Cameron's Conservative party is a popular beast at all really.

Comment

Working...
                                X