• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hasn't been ruled out -

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-reporting-ban

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
      Did you see the size of the mob outside the old bailey.
      He will get a token sentence, with time already served he will do no more than an extra month inside.

Comment

So, the original sentence was 13 months, of which he has served two.

I take it that the High Court can add to that (that isn't possible here)?

Comment

TG's take is much more what I would expect based on US practice.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

Even in a retrial?

Which I thought this was?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

My understanding is this is a retrial as the original conviction was quashed on appeal.
              If so, they are not bound by the previous case when sentencing.

The case was a pretty big one with serious racial connotations (indian indian subcontinent men using young white girls in some kind of Sex/Drug/paedophile ring). If they had walked because of this he would have been in massive trouble).

The sentencing Judge will be under massive pressure from all sides becuase this carry on has to be clamped down hard or the UK criminal justice system would become a farce of US standards.
              Last edited by Tactical Genius; 05-07-2019, 16:51.

Comment

The judge(s) can of course impose sentences for contempt if anyone should interrupt the proceedings when sentence is passed.

One hopes that wouldn't happen.

Comment

TG is right on the nature of the proceedings

Robinson had been arrested, charged and sentenced to 13 months after being found in contempt of court but served just two months before being freed after the court of appeal overturned the finding of contempt in August last year.

The case was then referred back to the attorney general, who announced in March that it was in the public interest to bring fresh proceedings.

Comment

The corollary of "you can tell a man who boozes by the company he choses"

The mark of a man or a woman is determined who they regard as allies and friends.

I give you Gerard Batten (again)

https://mobile.twitter.com/GerardBat...21141778042882

Comment

What's the story with the stage name? Does he pretend it's his own, or is it meant to be a character he plays? Is it meant to sound more working class than a double-barreled surname? Why does the press continue to use it?

Comment

If he's changed his name, as have millions of others, it would seem polite to use it. It's the only politeness he deserves, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                          If he's changed his name, as have millions of others, it would seem polite to use it. It's the only politeness he deserves, though.
                          Bollocks.

No more than Gideon and Alex deserve to be called George and Boris.

Performers and paid up members of Equity treading the boards under their professional names on the other hand is a different matter.

(Or tiresome nobodies who hide behind pseudonyms on internet message boards)

Comment

I don't desperately disagree with you!

Comment

Given the overly widespread and vicious & disgusting habit so many awful people seem to have of insisting on deadnaming trans people, I am very wary of insisting on someone else's "real" name.

Comment

He hasn't really changed his name, has he?

The name Tommy Robinson is a pseudonym taken from a prominent member of the "Men In Gear" (MIG)football hooligan crew, which follows Luton Town Football Club. The member named Tommy Robinson wrote two books about his 25 years of hooliganism.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                  Given the overly widespread and vicious & disgusting habit so many awful people seem to have of insisting on deadnaming trans people, I am very wary of insisting on someone else's "real" name.
                                  Deadnaming?

I've not heard that word before.

I've got a horrible suspicion I know what it means.

Please say it isn't a widespread (albeit known) practice?

Comment

I just had to google it too.

Comment

So deadnaming is like people who insisted calling Muhammad Ali Cassius Clay?
                                      It's just sad and pathetic.

Comment

Agreed. But is it the same with this Tommy Robinson? If he's just a racist coward using a stage name for privacy, fuck him.

Comment

I don't think it's the same, no. But I'm not up for policing people's names, as I think it's better to stick to the line that it's none of anyone else's business.

Comment

Yeah...this is different.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                              I don't think it's the same, no. But I'm not up for policing people's names, as I think it's better to stick to the line that it's none of anyone else's business.
                                              Then keep your fucking nose out of mine.

(nb. Attempt at black irony.

No postcards please)

Comment

I think I might prefer something like prenaming?

Deadnaming implies that someone didn't exist pre transition and that life was worthless?

I'm not comfortable with that, but, and this is important, it's not my call.

Comment

Very important, indeed.

It is the term that trans people have chosen and one that should be respected.

Comment

Again, different thing. When Donald Trump calls in to a radio show and says "Yeah, it's Gary from Ohio. I think Trump is doing a great job..." , we don't start calling him Gary from then on. He's a liar hiding behind a name. Same with Stephen Yaxley-Lennon. He's a racist coward trying not to own his behaviour.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X