Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nah, he's not doing that.

Comment

Nah, F*ck Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, in any way possible.

Horrible midget racist cokehead that he is.

Maximum sentence is two years, due to be announced next Tuesday, presumably with time allowance given for last year...

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
        Very important, indeed.

It is the term that trans people have chosen and one that should be respected.
        Thank you for upbraiding me on this.

Like I said, I wasn't aware of the word.

And I recognize it as a despicable slur to be avoided.

Comment

When I refer to him as Stephen Yaxley Lennon I'm referring to the name he is frequently tried under. If it's good enough for a court of law...

Comment

The most important thing to do when anyone suggests some kind of rethink is to ignore what they say completely and restate ad nauseam your previous reasoning.

Always.

Comment

I understand and respect your point of view.

However, I think it's fair to say that there are different reasons for using 'alternate names'. For a transgendered person, it's probably so that their outward identity aligns more closely with their inward identity. I happily support that. For a right-wing racist - who has gone by the names Andrew McMaster, Paul Harris, Wayne King, Stephen Lennon and Tommy Robinson - it's probably to distance themselves from their actions through obfuscation and anonymity. Why would I be willingly complicit in supporting that?

So fuck Stephen Yaxley-Lennon.

Comment

Andrew McMaster sounds like a cast-off Viz character.

Comment

Does anyone else remember the time when he "renounced" the EDL, was working with those dubious Quilliam gits, and John Harris types seemed to be itching to cast him as a Reconstructed Man?

Comment

Yes, that was odd, wasn't it. It didn't last very long.

The name thing is very odd. Apart from anything else, as WOM alluded to, his passport has the name Paul Harris. But why, if you were choosing a pseudonym to do your dirty deeds under, would you pick the name of a famous local hoolie? For all sorts of reasons that's the worst possible choice!

Comment

Whistling dogs. Winking to yr base.

Comment

He's not that sharp.

That and enables the Walter Mitty aspect of his 'persona'.

https://twitter.com/SeemaChandwani/status/1147264586825043968?s=19
                        Last edited by George C.; 06-07-2019, 01:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                          Yes, that was odd, wasn't it. It didn't last very long.
                          The name thing is very odd. Apart from anything else, as WOM alluded to, his passport has the name Paul Harris. But why, if you were choosing a pseudonym to do your dirty deeds under, would you pick the name of a famous local hoolie? For all sorts of reasons that's the worst possible choice!
                          Google searches mean he can easily claim he's "not that guy" and therefore dismiss the questioner has not doing their research properly.

Comment

Transgender. Never "transgendered".

Comment

I confuse Quilliam and Quilette

Comment

Ha!

Comment

Ouillette is a not terribly uncommon name among New Englanders with French-Canadian roots.

It took me awhile.

Comment

I mean, I'd cement-acid-milkshake Quilliam too, as it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                      I understand and respect your point of view.

However, I think it's fair to say that there are different reasons for using 'alternate names'. For a transgender person, it's probably so that their outward identity aligns more closely with their inward identity. I happily support that. For a right-wing racist - who has gone by the names Andrew McMaster, Paul Harris, Wayne King, Stephen Lennon and Tommy Robinson - it's probably to distance themselves from their actions through obfuscation and anonymity. Why would I be willingly complicit in supporting that?

So fuck Stephen Yaxley-Lennon.
                                      I'm not sure you do understand it, as my point has nothing whatsoever to do with SYL's intentions. But I don't know as I can explain it any other way than I already have, so I'll leave it.

Comment

I think you're saying that we should call people what they wish to be called. Is that close?

Comment

If people wish to self-identify behind that name, fine.

If it's an entertainer using a name with which to identify their act, fine

But if it's a politician or activist wanting to use the name to obfuscate and hide their real identity.

Not a hope in hell.

Fuck 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                            I think you're saying that we should call people what they wish to be called. Is that close?
                                            Not really, no. I mean, that might be one consequence of what I'm saying, but no.

I'm saying that doing all that "real name" stuff that people are doing strikes me as a bad idea while we are faced by people using the same words, loudly, to hurt trans people, and so we shouldn't do it.

Now, you might disagree with that in one of two ways. You might think "I don't think there is any such consequence, these things are entirely separate in everyone's minds". Or you might think "well there could be a consequence, but calling out SYL/TR is more important."

I can't think of another way of disagreeing, but of course there could be one. But given those two, which is it?

Comment

Tommy robinson is a nickname though isn't it? The trans thing is clearly different, because a) the person has taken a name that they feel aligns more accurately with their gender, b) if they can, they frequently legally change their name, if possible. Steven Yaxley lennon could legally change his name to Tommy Robinson with no real problem, but hasn't because it's just a nickname.

Comment

We can differentiate between pseudonyms and names changed by legal means, though. That allows us to consistently respect trans name changes and not enable the fascist to usurp the concept to aid in his deliberate obfuscation of his misdeeds.

Comment

I don't get what's hard to follow in what I've said, but best left now I reckon.
                                                  Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 07-07-2019, 17:49.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                                    Tommy robinson is a nickname though isn't it? The trans thing is clearly different, because a) the person has taken a name that they feel aligns more accurately with their gender, b) if they can, they frequently legally change their name, if possible. Steven Yaxley lennon could legally change his name to Tommy Robinson with no real problem, but hasn't because it's just a nickname.
                                                    Self appointed only to give the clown 'street cred', not unlike his supposed status as a 'journalist'.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X