Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is a $47 million condo "cutting back"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you're Aaron Spelling's widow.

The top two floors of a Century City residential tower still under construction have been sold for a record $47 million to Candy Spelling, the widow of TV mogul Aaron Spelling.

A $47-million price tag may seem like an enormous sum, but this is all about downshifting in the fast lane.

After all, the 62-year-old heiress with a reputation for embracing opulence will be moving out of Los Angeles County's largest home -- a 123-room, 56,500-square-foot mansion on six acres in the Holmby Hills neighborhood off Sunset Boulevard.

Her new home will be less than a third the size of the old one -- just 16,500 square feet -- but with a killer 360-degree view spanning the horizon from downtown Los Angeles to Santa Catalina Island. The condominium building called the Century is going up next door to the Century Plaza Hotel on Avenue of the Stars and will be completed in late 2009.

"She will be moving into it, though it won't be up for a year or so," said Spelling's attorney, Stephen Goldberg, who confirmed the sale Monday.

At a time when headlines are focusing on plummeting home prices, foreclosures and bad loans, the sale highlighted the vast differences in the region's housing markets.

There are still wealthy buyers keeping the very top end in play -- often at ever higher prices. The price of $2,848 per square foot paid by Spelling at the Century is a record for a Los Angeles condo. The old record of $2,700 was set in February -- at the same building.

It is hard to compare the new and old. Spelling's current home has 11 bedrooms and 16 bathrooms, and then there's the one-lane bowling alley, the gift-wrapping room, a screening room and a doll museum. But what's in store for her new digs is still a question that may tantalize the curious.

Building developer Related Cos. of New York said Spelling would work with her own architects and designers to customize her space on the 41st and 42nd floors. But a few of the details have been negotiated.

The lower floor will have a living room with two working fireplaces, a dining room for 25 guests, and staff quarters. The top floor will house the bedrooms including a 4,000-square-foot master suite, a massage room, an exercise room, a conservatory complete with rose garden, and a swimming pool and deck.

Spelling's current home has 11 bedrooms and 16 bathrooms, and then there's the one-lane bowling alley
    Clearly they never had many friends. Only one bowling lane?

Comment

I have staff quarters, but I don't have staff.

Actually, it's just a small bedroom full of junk, but I can call it whatever I want.

Comment

a one-lane bowling alley - what a lonely, depressing image.

Comment

though perhaps not as depressing as mike tyson's abandoned mansion.

Comment

Condo. It's a funny old word, isn't it? As far as I can tell, there isn't really an English equivalent.

Comment

It's short for 'condominium', which is a legal arrangement whereby multiple people can own parts of a single building. Basically.

Etymology: from Modern Latin, "joint sovereignty", apparently coined in German about 1700 from com-, "together" + dominum, "right of ownership".

Comment

But doesn't it mean a bit more than that, over there? Or is any such arrangement called "a condo", even for a shitty little flat in a bad part of town?

Comment

Well, yeah, the term usually implies that it's an upscale kind of place, but it doesn't have to be. It's really the legal arrangement that makes it a condo.

The other type of similar ownership arrangement is the cooperative. I don't know the exact differences between the two.

But I found this that explains it.

Comment

Cheers. I don't think we have the same distinction.

Comment

The simplest explanation is that a condo is an apartment that one owns instead of renting.

Then there's all that stuff about condo vs. co-op.

Depending on the rules of the building, owners/shareholders can also sublet their condo or co-op unit. My building is actually a co-op but I rent it.

It is true, however, that condominium buildings are rarely, if ever, shitholes and are more often than not upscale (sometimes very upscale), but I think that's because most people with the means to afford a nice place will prefer to invest equity into it as opposed to rent and developers are generally more interested in building posh places than non-posh places, so that's what gets built.

Comment

Working...
                      X