The dream analysis thread (redux)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's usually the moment of the 'big twitch', where you jerk awake or knee your partner in the back of the leg and delay an otherwise pleasant nod-off.

Comment

Sometimes accompanied by a huge snort, loud enough to wake the neighbours.

Comment

Bumping for future use.

Comment

For me and FF and our Word and Excel dreams? Very thoughtful of you.

Comment

Heh! At your service, madam.

Comment

I had a bit of a restless night, and at one point wasn't sure if I was hallucinating or, like, dreaming about hallucinating. Was quite enervating at the time.

Comment

So, recurring dreams then. Look away WOM. Wiki gives us these:

Through psychological analyses and studies, some recurrent themes have been identified. These include dreaming of being chased and pursued, which has been repeatedly demonstrated as being the most frequently experienced recurrent theme. The following themes below have been found to contribute to more than half of recurring dreams:
                • Difficulties with house maintenance
                • Teeth falling out – Sigmund Freud believed that if a woman had a recurring dream of her teeth falling out that she unconsciously longed to have children. He believed that if a man had this dream he was afraid of castration.
                • Discovering new rooms in a house – Freud believed that houses represented bodies. Others thought finding new rooms represented the dreamer finding out new things about themselves or of their own potential.
                • Losing control of a vehicle
                • Being unable to find a toilet
                • Having the ability to fly

The subjects of recurring dreams do vary. The following examples are also common:
                • Being held down or otherwise unable to move
                • Nakedness in a public place
                • Being held back in school or failing a test or exam you didn't know about
                • Losing the ability to speak
                • Escaping or being caught in a tornado/storm
                • Drowning, or otherwise not being able to breathe
                • Finding lost items
                • Unable to turn on the lights in one's house
                • Being with a significant other
                • Missing a bus, plane or train, and possibly attempting to chase it
                • Having to return to an old school due to an unfinished assignment or other unresolved issues
                • Being chased by an animal or murderer.

Ring any bells for anyone?

As I've said elsewhere, my most common one is being frustrated in trying to reach a destination (train takes a weird route (London to Gatwick - via Bristol!!!) - think Clockwise meets Planes, Trains & Automobiles, which I suppose is the missing/chasing a car+ option above. But I've also had the finding a new room in a house one (I'm so bloody happy we've got more space - I'm crushed when I wake up and realise it was just a dream), being able to fly (I usually just levitate and float around for a bit, showing off), public nakedness (I wonder what the hell I was thinking of leaving the house without any clothes on and how embarrassing getting home is going to be) and the unexpected exam, (or usually just having skipped a ton of lessons and having no notes, which is pretty much what the Lower 6th was actually like for me, so it's more of a horrible memory that keeps on resurfacing than a fantasy fear).

Rogin's tornado is in there, I see.

The being chased one was a bad dream as a kid. It, whatever it was, a monster or killer, came out of the loft hatch in my childhood home and chased me down the stairs. It never caught me because I'd wake up in terror.

So, quite a few hits for me which kind of makes me wonder why I haven't had the others.

Two dreams not on the list that recur for me are falling off a kerb (which causes me to judder in my sleep) and, er, committing a murder and being pursued by the authorities, who I'm unable to shake off my trail. I try not to dwell on that one!

Most of my regular dreaming is fairly pleasant random nonsense and quite obviously my brain decluttering itself of various accumulated sights and thoughts or a bit of a subconscious focus on things that are troubling or have excited me. But the recurring ones - I can't help feeling that they have a degree of significance.
                Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 18-10-2019, 00:41.

Comment

Every so often I have the flying dream, or rather being able to jump high and for long distances, increasing the distance by kicking my legs like I was aircycling. It feels so natural I'm always put out when I wake up unable to float jump.

Comment

From childhood to young adulthood, immense shifting triangular shapes in a kind of pink fog accompanied by stomach churning vertigo would inspire utter terror in me on waking, like a preparation for hell.
                    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 18-10-2019, 00:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                      Every so often I have the flying dream, or rather being able to jump high and for long distances, increasing the distance by kicking my legs like I was aircycling. It feels so natural I'm always put out when I wake up unable to float jump.

Yes, that's very similar to what I dream about. I'm not swooping around in the sky, I just sort of jump lightly and then gently propel myself upwards. Thinking about it, in terms of muscle movements and actions, it's essentially vertical swimming in air rather than water.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                        From childhood to young adulthood, immense shifting triangular shapes in a kind of pink fog accompanied by stomach churning vertigo would inspire utter terror in me on waking, like a preparation for hell.

Hmmmmm, that is an odd one. Over-exposure to '80s pop videos possibly.

Comment

Wednesday night I woke up at 11:30pm having had a 'nightmare'. Basically the dream was that I'd been having an affair with an ex of mine so I was keeping it a secret from my husband but was really stressed out about not being able to talk to him about it. There was also stuff about my mum's house and my son and having shape-shifting abilities. When I woke up distressed, I of course went to find my husband for a hug to reassure me. He was perplexed. "You want me to comfort you because you had a dream about having an affair?" Yup. And of course he did.

Comment

Last night it was chimpanzees firing a maxim machine gun.

Figure that one out, Sigmund!

Comment

The last dream I had that I remember, me and one of my work colleagues decided to buy something online, on this site, the longer you wait to buy, the more expensive it gets. I had €100 and was shocked that the price had gone above that, I remember shouting at her that we have to pay while she was busy chatting and saying "it's fine ".

Comment

So.

A current disturbing dream, but non-nightmare, I've got the responsibility of the master key to control the nukes.

We've lost it, but it's recovered.

The outer safe is opened (with another key) but the second one doesn't work.

And it aborts the launch - not commit it.

Comment

Two nights ago I was (dreaming) standing outside a kindergarten when a suited male approached me and said, "I'm Paul McCartney's husband [sic]". Taking me to be an employee of the establishment he went on to say that Macca was finding it difficult to cope with a pair of two-year olds and though he knew the centre would be closed for a public holiday for a few days could it be possible to leave the kids for a few hours. He was, however, not too happy about the projected cost, which could rise to 15 euros an hour.

Comment

Last night I had somehow landed in the street with the tail and wings of some kind of jumbo jet attached to me. I was able to ask a couple of people what I should do ( in the dream I was aware that I would not be able to reach a high enough speed to take off by myself) and one kind soul, into whose house I was able to manoeuvre the half-plane, suggested phoning the local airport to come and collect it.

Two nights ago I was a witness to a shootout and was threatened myself. I made my escape and eventually returned to find another survivor watching Ecuadorian football.

Comment

Oh, those old ones.

Comment

I boarded a busy train bound for Nottingham and found a seat next to none other than Tony Benn. He was an engaging travelling companion. At one point he told me his worst day as a Nottingham Forest fan (who knew?) was the FA Cup tie at Newcastle in 1973/4 where following a pitch invasion Forest threw away a 2-0 lead.

The woman sitting facing us, who could've been Demi Moore, knelt on the table and began posing provocatively, which felt quite awkward.

Comment

Brilliant!

Comment

Last night I witnrssed the start of a coup where every police officer in the coyntry was being bussed out of the car park next to Sixfields to start attacking and killing the general population.

Comment

First time I've dreamt of OTF, I know I was in the middle of an argument, with who or what about I've no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                                First time I've dreamt of OTF, I know I was in the middle of an argument, with who or what about I've no idea.

Are you absolutely sure that was a dream?

Comment

I'll have to check my timeline, apologies to anyone I upset, asleep or awake!

Comment

So last night's dream fragment, Anthony Ainley in Docteroo, but it's clearly not Anthony Ainley, but another famous actor I cannot name, and this troubles me.

Only after awakening do I figure out who it is

Sylvester Stallone

Comment

Working...
                                                    X