The dream analysis thread (redux)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't find it with OTF's search engine but I know we had one a while back.

Anyhow, for a while now (probably 3 years) I've had a recurring dream where I'm at a place that feels like I'm on holiday (my family are around me, and we're at a beach, or looking down on one from a cliff) and suddenly all these tornadoes appear - the tight, waterspouty-like ones, and I'm watching them pass in front of us, marvelling at them, worrying that some will come close to us but none ever do, it just becomes an awesome spectacle that we watch pass by.

Last night, I had exactly the same dream, me my wife and kids were in a car by a beach, eating fish and chips, and the tornado came back, only this time as we were watching it, it spiralled round, and blew right into us, knocking the car over and, as Michael Caine would put, blowing the bloody doors off.

Now then. In the middle of last week, I was offered a proper job by my employer, one that really excites me and that will properly stretch me (but also really challenge me with the prospect of actual success or failure), for the first time in, ooh, say 3 years? In that time I've really just been treading water and taking the piss at work, and yes, feeling a bit glum when I hear of other people being offered similar chances to the one I've now got.

That must be it, mustn't it? I'm fairly certain my mind isn't any more complex than that.

Okay, so this one isn't one that perplexes me in terms of analysis, but I thought it would amuse OTF.

Last night I dreamt someone on OTF (frustratingly I can't remember who) suddenly became famous in 2014, and we were all debating on OTF whether we were happy for them, whether they deserved it, which of us had first predicted their success, etc, as I suppose you would when someone in your acquaintance suddenly achieves somethnig like that. I can't quite recall the source of their sudden fame, either, it seemed to be almost in an Andy Warhol project kind of way, involving music and art and sudden cultural 'hipness'.

Which probably narrows it down a bit, if this was a premonition.

Comment

Dear Rogin

You seem like a very nice man. We've posted together for a number of years and I've enjoyed getting to know you. We're FB friends, I believe. Although with all the random friending and unfriending, who can be sure.

Which brings me to my point: I feel very badly that nobody has replied to this thread. But, speaking for myself only, I'd rather kill you and hide the body than dissect dreams. I think I've started a number of threads on this very topic, the 'what does it mean?' thing.

I mean, I have trouble - when my children do the "i had this weird dream last night" thing - not feigning a seizure, hitting the floor and rolling away to the peace and quiet of the bathroom, such is the extent of the madness to which it drives me.

So, dreams: they're the nighttime manifestations of your waking thoughts, hopes and fears. Nothing more, nothing less. If you believe they mean 'more', you shouldn't be allowed to operate heavy machinery, use sharp implements, or vote.

Kind regards and happy birthday. You don't look a day of it.

WOM

Comment

Aye.

I didn't want to say that (not sure why not), but also didn't want to leave this a nil thread, it being an interest of mine as an undergraduate.

If you can't figure out what a dream means yourself, then reading a book by Russell Grant or asking a woman in a shawl on the end of the pier isn't going to help.

Dreams are ace.

Comment

I have 2 recurring dreams;

1. I'm on holiday with the family, and I can't remember when we are supposed to go home. Years ago it used to worry me that I would miss my flight, but these days I find I'm not really that bothered.

2. And this is my favourite. There are two newsagents from my childhood (one has been re-fitted and the other closed down years ago). They are both selling up-to-date issues of comics I used to buy in the 70s. And everytime I go in, I'm always impressed they've got the latest copies of Victor and Warlord.

Comment

If dreams were meant to be shared you would be able to invite people in to join in

Comment

Dear Serge

You seem like a very nice man...

Comment

My next door neighbour has stayed at the same resort in Cuba at least 30 times. They're like family. Last time down, he got his departure date wrong and they fucked him hard for the price of a room for one night, and he had to pay for two tickets home.

"And as a fookin' Scotsman, I ken tell ye how I fookin' liked that."

Comment

I had a dream last night where Mrs. Inca bought me (and a bunch of friends) tickets to see Ke$ha at the Hollywood Bowl for my birthday. This would be just about one of the last things I would want to do for my birthday, but we were all happy. For some reason, everyone had to get there separately, and I was riding an old BMX bike that was falling apart down Hollywood Boulevard and then up the hill to the Bowl, through all of the car traffic. I got there early, and as I was locking my bike up, I saw that my parents were also there--we weren't going together, they just happened to be going to see Ke$ha also.

I almost never remember my dreams, but lately I've been remembering these strange ones, which are all usually after I get one of the two babies back in their bed around 3am, and before my alarm goes off.

Comment

Was it the Ke$ha with Pitbull tour?

Comment

Dear Inca

Time is marching on, and things you once knew and cherished are falling farther behind you (BMX) while being replaced by things you have no desire to understand or enjoy (Ke$ha). Time waits for no man, and death stalks you around every corner. You procreate in a futile attempt to stave off the inevitable obscurity that comes when you shuffle off this mortal coil.

Kind regards,

WOM

Comment

FYI: I got Katy Perry tickets this morning. Up in the rafters, but still...potential father of the year material.

Comment

The stuff of Inca's dreams.

Comment

She's Klassy.

Comment

caja-dglh wrote:

The stuff of Inca's dreams.
                              Me right now:

Comment

Inca: going down. Yelling timber.

Comment

WOM wrote: FYI: I got Katy Perry tickets this morning. Up in the rafters, but still...potential father of the year material.
                                  http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/5-dads-enduring-a-one-direction-concert

Comment

First one looks like Morrissey after taking a very wrong turn.

Comment

WOM wrote: FYI: I got Katy Perry tickets this morning. Up in the rafters, but still...potential father of the year material.
                                      You're gonna hear WOM roar.

Or as buyer do you get out of having to be there? I am very fearful about the process of making sure my daughter doesn't listen to terrible music.

I think the plan right now involves modular synths at an early age.

Comment

There are no guarantees. We've had a Casio keyboard in my daughter's bedroom since she was 5. She gave us hope when she played the opening bars to Just Can't Get Enough after hearing it once.

But Katy Perry shouldn't be all that bad. I don't think I'd have enjoyed Gaga, but I should enjoy Perry. We're taking the kids to Lyle Lovett/John Hiatt next week, so we should try to stretch in their direction a little.

Comment

caja-dglh wrote: Or as buyer do you get out of having to be there? I am very fearful about the process of making sure my daughter doesn't listen to terrible music.

It's tempting, but don't take it too far.

Comment

Ha! I would limit it to music, though she has rather taken a liking to Stoppit and Tidyup.

Comment

caja-dglh wrote: I am very fearful about the process of making sure my daughter doesn't listen to terrible music.

More evidence for my theory that the process of pregnancy and/or childbirth catalyzes the production of neurotoxins in both parents that cause them to forget a significant part of their own childhoods. Else they'd remember, like most tween/teens i've ever known, that there is nothing less cool than what your Dad likes.

Comment

So what you have to do if you're a father is to listen non-stop to Lady Gaga et al.

Comment

My favourite ever dream (of the ones I can remember, or can talk about on a family board) involved me inventing rude fireworks; when they went off (fnar), they spelled out rude words or made crude representations of genitalia. Apparently I woke TLMG up, I was giggling so much.

Better than dreams, however, is the weird stream-of-consciousness nonsense I sometimes get when I'm hovering on the verge of sleep. It's like my brain is gearing up for its' sleeping flights of fancy by firing the most random thoughts from one side to the other. Feels oddly creative and liberating.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X