• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alan Turing pardoned

Sanity finally prevails

http://www.theguardian.com/world/feedarticle/11122748

Alan Turing pardoned

Jesus wept.
    50,000 men convicted like Turing for being a bit light in their loafers, many of them having electric shock 'treatment' while 'being shown images of gay sex' according to Peter Tatchell just now on R5L.

Incredible.

Comment

Alan Turing pardoned

You'll notice he's been 'pardoned' as opposed to having his conviction quashed.

Fuck the lot of them, and fuck their pardon.

Comment

Alan Turing pardoned

Indeed.
        It's truly mind-blowing stuff.

Comment

Alan Turing pardoned

Still, I'm sure Mr Turing went to his death safe in the knowledge that his fight against Nazism and human rights abuses was successful.

Comment

Alan Turing pardoned

Morning chaps.

Apparently Lord Snooty asked Ma Windsor to use her Royal Prerogative. What is this, Ruricuntingtania in 1013?

Kindly fcuk off Ma'am, and take yer whole inbred clan and most of Westminster Village with ye. Cnuts the lot of them.

OK, what d'ye call a gay mathematician taking his jazz band on the road? Woody Allen Touring

Comment

Alan Turing pardoned

I'm sure he would be very gratified by this, if it had happened, say, 60 years ago.
              Stuff like this annoys me, it's like when someone like Tony Blair comes out and apologises for some half-remembered atrocity Britain committed in some far-off part of the world a couple of hundred years ago, as if that makes it all ok. It generally (as in the present case) comes across as a way of saying to everyone 'We're all right, us', without actually bothering to do anything to address the problems that persist today.

Comment

Alan Turing pardoned

Duncan Gardner wrote:

Apparently Lord Snooty asked Ma Windsor to use her Royal Prerogative. What is this, Ruricuntingtania in 1013?

OK, what d'ye call a gay mathematician taking his jazz band on the road? Woody Allen Touring
                This means ^^?

Comment

Alan Turing pardoned

Toby Gymshorts wrote: You'll notice he's been 'pardoned' as opposed to having his conviction quashed.
                  Aye, and what about all the other poor bastards convicted of similar who don't have the benefit of having been geniuses who helped us smash the Nazis?

Half-hearted shite.

Comment

Alan Turing pardoned

Turing did more for Britain and, indeed, the world than all the royal bloody family and most of those in parliament since his death. The idea that their 'pardon' means anything shows how backward this country still can be. Imbefuckingciles

Comment

Taking this as the closest thing to a Bletchley Park thread, the Bletchley Park Trust have just released this fascinating footage filmed during the war of staff and operatives at Whaddon Hall. Evidently commandeered for war service, this is an old manor house located a few miles from Bletchley across what would at that time have been open fields. It's also just about the first building I now encounter when heading out for a walk into the country from my place on the western fringes of MK.

Comment

Thanks for that Furtho - I heard a piece about it on the radio this morning and was fascinated by it. I was at Bletchley a few years ago and it's a brilliantly geeky place to visit.

Comment

I forgot that this thread was years old and was about to post almost exactly the same remark that I did 7 years ago.

Comment

I think this belongs here. How the enigma code was broken, with mention of Bletchely Park and Alan turing, but also with special emphasis on how much of it was down to the Poles.

I've posted another couple of videos by this guy about the raid on the medway, and the voyage of the Russian baltic fleet to its eventual annihilation at Tsushima.

Comment

Working...
                            X