Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just something I wanted to get off my chest.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meet my Dad. That's me on the right, looking slightly embarrassed. This photo was taken on my 70th birthday. It kind of sums him up, in a way.

It hasn't, I have to say, been a terribly easy year. I've always had a strangely dislocated feeling from my family, but since we moved to Brighton and I've been geographically nearer to them, I've reacquainted myself with them, and it has been delightful. At a family get-together last Christmas, though, I had the strangest feeling - that this would be as good as it gets. I couldn't put my finger on where it came from, but it was quite overwhelming.

Turns out that I was right - at least for a while. In January (as some of you may remember), my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer. It's surprising how quickly you get used to it. She started her chemotherapy in the spring, and has just finished it. Her husband and children have been just awesome about it. She's still as bald as a coot, and rejected wearing a wig in favour of a baseball cap more or less straight away. There have obviously been times when she has been weak, but last week she had her last operation for a few weeks. She starts a course of radiotherapy at the end of August.

I surprised myself at how well I reacted to it. I would have expected to be a dribbling, blubbering mess, but I wasn't. The dribbling and blubbering phase of my year has come over the last couple of months. While they were on holiday over the May Bank Holiday in Devon, my dad complained of slight chest pains when my parents went walking on Dartmoor. He's 71, so they expected it to be little more than Angina, but it was more than that.

It turned out that he had a calcified aortic valve (that needed replacing, and I'm choosing to overlook the apparently hereditary aspect of it) and that he also needed a double heart bypass. Over the last few weeks, I have been beside myself with worry, crying intermittently and completely unable to cope with anything with any emotional content contained therein whatsoever.

His appointment was made at the London Heart Hospital for last Tuesday, and I didn't mention it at all on here. His condition is hereditary, so I had to get my heart checked out but, apart from blood pressure that was through the roof, my heart was fine. So, I went to see him last weekend, suspecting that (in contradiction of everything - which was a lot - that I had read up on about heart surgery) it might even be the last time that I spoke to him. I spent a lot of time thinking about the time that we had spent together - about how he had constantly told me that Ted Ditchburn was the greatest goalkeeper of all time, and about how, if I ever got myself into a fight, I should just turn and run - and I mentally prepared myself for the worst. Irrational, I know, but I couldn't control it.

He went into theatre at 8.30 on Tuesday morning, and I received a text message from my mum at 2.00 to say that he was out. He has made remarkable progress since then. He was out of the high dependency ward same day, and was moved from there to intensive care the next morning. They moved him into a normal ward yesterday, and he was walking (albeit somewhat unsteadily) this morning. He's going home on Monday, and we're going to see him tomorrow.

The last few months has felt like a lot of pressure and neither my sister nor my father are out of harm's way yet, but it feels as if some of the weight has been lifted from my shoulders. Moreover, I feel like a better person for it. I've felt myself become more polite with strangers. My nieces are coming to stay with me for the first time next weekend (I'm going to fill them with sugar and buy them puppets, of course). I feel somehow cleansed by it all.

In addition to this, I have seen first hand how well the NHS can treat people - the London Heart Hospital have been outstanding, as have the people at the Haywards Heath hospital that have looked after my sister. Every single person that been involved in their treatment has been amazing. I've noted a couple of people here recently say that the NHS is one of the very few things that people can be proud of, and I had my fingers were crossed that they were right. It turns out that they were.

So, slowly but surely, they're making progress. Dad will be back at home on Monday, and Caroline, my sister, is responding as well as possible to the treatment that she has received. It's early days for both of them but, you know, it's a start. In spite of everything, I've been very superstitious about it all, so I haven't mentioned it on here over the last few weeks. Like I say, just something I wanted to get off my chest.

good to hear your dad's & sister's recoveries are going well 200%, i hope things work out for the best.

i must say you are a youthful 70.

Comment

Yeah, I think I've got another ten years in me, at least.

Comment

All the best, 200%. We had a similar scare in early June. My mother, who is also 70, had a minor heart attack and was kept in hospital overnight. Fortunately hers wasn't as serious as your Dad's, but it really brings it home that you are getting old. It's funny how I always thought my parents would be middle-aged forever, even though I know that's not going to happen. Just when I got used to them being in their sixties, they turned seventy! I'm really dreading the inevitable.

Hang in there!

Comment

Good to hear, 200. For your family's well being, be glad you don't live in my country.

Comment

Great story.

The upside of finding out you have a bum valve and two bad coronaries at the same time is that they can fix all of that stuff in the same procedure and only have to crack open your chest once.

Comment

Great news, 200. And the very best to you and yours. Nice writing, too, thanks for sharing.

Comment

C'mon Reed. If you didn't have a bum valve, you'd be forever soiling yourself.

Great stuff 200%.

Comment

That's a lovely tribute to all kinds of things stated with admirable brevity. Here's hoping the sun keeps shining.

Comment

Great news 200%.

Last year may Dad and Sister were both very ill but both are in great shape now. Dad was in intensive care with a 50/50 chance and my sister had a huge (1kg) tumour removed.

NHS were brilliant. It makes you appreciate the improtance of family.

The worst and best bits were that as my Dad was recovering he didn't recognise me and had to be repeatedly told I was his son. He was very gracious about this, accepted that he would take responsibility for me and even forgave Mum for going off and having another child without having told him about it.

Comment

That has proper made me laugh, Fritz.

Comment

Thank you for your kind comments, all of you.

I am still approximately 5% panicky whenever my mum calls, but when she did this morning it was to ask me if I could put a bet on for him. Not too ill to study the form, then.

Comment

I lost both my parents when they were still in their 50s. And you might say we still had unfinished business between us. We are all living on borrowed time and every day is precious. If your recent scare has enabled you and your father to reaffirm how much you love one another then that is the greatest blessing of all.

Comment

Yeah, very best wishes from the Woolwich massive over here. Thanks indeed for sharing that with us and hope it was helpful to do so.

Comment

I found this and remembered your thread about your Dad, 200%. I hope everything's still going well (apologies if I've missed an update).

I thought you / he might like it.

Comment

Thanks very much for that, Bafflin. I will pass it on to him forthwith. That's Ted Ditchburn, right?

Funnily enough, I went to see him last Sunday, and he's doing fine. Back driving again and has just started his cardiac physiotherapy. Apart from an enormous scar on his leg and another one the length of his chest, it's a bit like nothing ever happened.

My sister is having radiotherapy at the moment. They had to tattoo a dot in the middle of her cleavage so that they have something to line up the laser with. "Cool!", was my reaction to this.

Comment

That's terrific news on both fronts.

I must have been travelling when you made the original post, but continue to wish you and your family all the best. Both your and their reaction to these very serious challenges is genuinely inspiring.

Comment

Yep, that's Ted, pulling off another blinding save.

Glad to hear things are okay. If it's any help, my brother-in-law had a similar op to your Dad, and almost three years later is out playing golf three times a week.

Comment

Sorry to to drag this old subject up again, but it was my dad's 72nd birthday yesterday, so, happy birthday dad.

He must have done something right this year, because my mum got him a Setanta box and subscription for him. I'd never have thought that she would allow more football than was absolutely necessary in the house. When I spoke to him earlier, he was getting very excited at the prospect of watching Forest Green Rovers against somebody tonight.

In other news, my sister has completed her radiotherapy and is playing wait and see. She has joined a newly-formed women's football team. She had to stop playing at 11 because there weren't any women's teams locally at the time. I'm thrilled that she has decided to get in a team and play a game or two at the age of 44. She's the oldest member of the team by about 23 years, apparently. Another little ambition fulfilled, I suspect. She's probably still a better footballer than I ever was, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Comment

Great news -good luck to all of you.

Comment

he was getting very excited at the prospect of watching Forest Green Rovers against somebody tonight.

That would've been against Cambridge United, in a 2-2 draw, so he's off to a good start then.

Encouraging and bracing stories, deftly told. Convey my best wishes to your dad and your sister, 200 (and have a couple yourself).

Comment

Thank you for your messages.

I'm moving house this morning (in twenty-two minutes, providing the removal men turn up on time), so I've got plenty to be getting on with.

PS: Have a good week, all of you. I'll probably pop up on here as and when, but we'll have no broadband at home for a week or so.

Comment

This is all heartwarming stuff, 200%. And good on your sister.

Comment

Best wishes to your family 200%, and good luck with the move.

Comment

Working...
                                                X