So, what was it, then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, what was it, then?

I'm suffering from a moderately disturbing short term memory deficiency. I was in Staples this afternoon to buy a portable DVD burner. As I was looking over their selection, I thought of something else that I wanted to buy. So I decided which one I wanted and turned to go off to the next thing, only I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was. I still can't remember. I just have to make myself believe that if I have forgotten, it must not have been all that important. And that's the way it will remain until I reach the point in time when I need whatever it was.

I use lists for shopping if I know ahead of time what I need, but when I think of something while I'm already at the store, that's when I have problems. I never think I'm going to forget something within a minute. I never used to have that problem, so it's a little unsettling. Am I just getting old, or could it be the drugs? (I take Sertraline and Nabumetone).

So, what was it, then?

Have you been stressed and/or overworked lately?

Comment

So, what was it, then?

I don't remember starting this thread.

Not overworked, but my cat was really sick. That was an emotional and financial strain. I'm not sure that's it though; I've certainly had more stressful times in my life.

Comment

So, what was it, then?

I kept forgetting things I'd just done (and found that time was whizzing by without realising it) about 2-3 years ago, but with a combination of my mom dying and throwing myself into work for the next few months, I'd just run out of adrenaline. Doctor told me to have a rest for a week or two, and I was back to normal.

Comment

So, what was it, then?

I have done that too lately. Like the night I forgot that I had taken the NSAID tablets and took them again. Fortunately, it wasn't enough of an overdose to do any serious damage, but still.

Now I have one of those boxes with daily compartments, like old people use.

Comment

So, what was it, then?

Has it been two years ago already?

Comment

So, what was it, then?

Was it blank DVDs?

If not it's probably Pens, you can always do with more pens.

Comment

So, what was it, then?

Could well be the drugs - I got the same memory blanks after a while on sertraline. Get used to it, because my memory is still shot almost three years after coming off the stuff... I think whatever happens is semi-permanent (I say semi, because it's been improving lately). I know that exact feeling, though - you think of something, and it's totally gone from your brain seconds later. Doesn't usually cause any major problems, but you're right, it's mildly disturbing.

I suspect this is why the people who make "those boxes with daily compartments, like old people use" do such a roaring trade.

Comment

So, what was it, then?

My wife just bought one of those, she's only 33, but does take a shedload of drugs to try and combat her dreadful migraines.

I think it's 7 different pills a day, with an additional super drug in reserve for if the attack still comes, which they do maybe twice a week on average.

Comment

So, what was it, then?

Taylor wrote:
                    I know that exact feeling, though - you think of something, and it's totally gone from your brain seconds later.
                    Yes! That's exactly what happens, and none of my old memory tricks work. For example, if I forgot why I went to a certain part of the house, I could usually retrace my steps and wait a couple of minutes and it would come back to me. The way I am now, it's like I never had the thought to begin with.

It's enough to make you think you're losing it.

barn - I agree. One can never have too many pens. I even hang on to them long after they have run out of ink (and those are always the ones I grab when I need a pen).

Comment

So, what was it, then?

Femme Folle wrote:
                      Has it been two years ago already?
                      Three years next month.

Comment

So, what was it, then?

FF - Google Ads to the rescue

EDIT: er, sorry - as soon as I posted this they went back to fire safety ones.

Comment

So, what was it, then?

Happens to me all the time and has for the past few years. Maybe at my age it's natural but it still worries me, especially as my mother has dementia. However a doc once told me that sporadic short term memory loss is not a really problem, it's the long-term kind that sets off alarm bells. I hope he's right.

Comment

So, what was it, then?

Comment

So, what was it, then?

I hope so too, AdC!

Comment

So, what was it, then?

My Google ads list on this page reads:
                                Arsenal Football Club
                                Schizophrenia explained
                                Depression
                                Is Your Loved One Bipolar?

Comment

So, what was it, then?

I see no ads on this page - Adblock Plus, people, Adblock Plus.

Comment

So, what was it, then?

I have Adblock Plus installed, but can't figure out how to get it to scrub all the ads from here. What am I doing wrong, Jimski?

Comment

Working...
                                    X