... you better watch your back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The murder rate in London is about 2 per 100,000 people per year. That in New York is about 6.

That in Baltimore is about 40.

Blimey.

I've got a feeling from looking at stats like these in the past that it depends how the relevant authority is counting things. Is it counting "numbers of bodies found lying in the streets with suspicious looking holes punctured in them", or is it counting "numbers of said bodies that result in a person ultimately convicted of murder"? In the UK, the police won't admit that there is suspicion of "murder" even if they find a body with its head missing and the words "I did it, ha ha ha, you'll never catch me" daubed across its chest in bloody fingerpainting.

Comment

And with the increased possibility of recession, things may get worse, according to a slightly-out-of-date article, there.

And don't think God will help you!

Comment

How dare you leave out the Murder Captial of the World...

New Orleans with 71.

And Gary, Indiana with 68.

Comment

I'd be interested to see the methodology and results of that study, Clive. On a personal note though, lovely.

Comment

Perhaps if Susan Moore's dad had spent a bit more time on his day job rather than worrying about his daughters love life this situation might have been avoided.

Comment

this looks like the same thing as was in the economist, but they highlighted that London has the highest number of threats and assaults of any major city.

Just rubbish at finishing the job in London then.

Comment

Apparently, Vatican City has the highest per capita crime rate in the world. One reported crime a year for every citizen. Of course, these crimes are all petty delinquencies committed by non-citizens of Vatican City (unless the pope goes pickpocketing incognito).

I have a feeling that New Orleans would seem like a haven of personal security in comparison to the Cape Town township of Nyanga, which has the highest murder rate in murder-happy South Africa.

Comment

dglh wrote:
                  this looks like the same thing as was in the economist, but they highlighted that London has the highest number of threats and assaults of any major city.

Just rubbish at finishing the job in London then.
                  No, that's just good 'crop management'. You mug your victim, leave him a few years to fiscally recover, then you mug him again.

Estate agents work on the same principle.

Comment

Despite regular freak-outs about gun crime in Toronto and a regular Tory drumbeat on law and order, turns out that Canada's crime rate is at a 30-year low.

And the NPS marches on...

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
                      I've got a feeling from looking at stats like these in the past that it depends how the relevant authority is counting things. Is it counting "numbers of bodies found lying in the streets with suspicious looking holes punctured in them", or is it counting "numbers of said bodies that result in a person ultimately convicted of murder"? In the UK, the police won't admit that there is suspicion of "murder" even if they find a body with its head missing and the words "I did it, ha ha ha, you'll never catch me" daubed across its chest in bloody fingerpainting.
                      You mean the London murder rate might actually be 20 times what the police say it is?

Comment

The number of murders in the whole of Canada seems to be between 2 and 3 Baltimores' worth.

Comment

I'm going to walk with Jesus
                          He's going to save my soul

I would like to be safe from Satan when the thunder rolls.

Comment

There was a story about 5 years ago of some presumably black youths breaking into a suburban Toronto home. Finding photos of the family around the place, they wrote a note saying "Sorry. We didn't know you were black." and left without taking anything.

Comment

Maybe they were white liberal youths doing affirmative action. Political correctness gone mad.

Comment

Gary, Indiana is not a fun place.

Comment

I see the murder rate in Caracas is 130 per 100,000 population, which makes it twice the place Gary, Indiana is.

Comment

Gary, Indiana is not a fun place.
                                    Maybe not, but it is the best ever name for a town in the whole wide world, ever.

Comment

Working...
                                    X