Swearing: Norms in US v UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would welcome views from American readers on this topic. My impression, having moved to the US in 2006, is:

1) Cunt is far worse in US usage, as it seems to be invariably targeted at women and misogynistic. The UK tendency (in some contexts) of playfully calling your male friend a cunt seems impossible in the US.

2) Twat - perhaps a similar issue to 'cunt'. Misogynistic in US, no possibility of its use in playful banter. Pronunciation also seems different, the US version rhyming with Jonathan Trott.

3) Fuck - roughly the same in both countries.

4) Motherfucker - seems to have been taken over by rap, although it must surely be older.

5) Cocksucker - very funny when used in Deadwood but I don't know if it has the same misogynistic stigma as cunt and twat.

6) Wanker - some Americans are starting to copy this British word.

7) Bitch & whore - again seem nastier in the US.

Discuss.

Most of those are right — though I'm not sure I've ever heard "twat" over here.

Generally swearing is less acceptable in everyday social situations in North America than it is in the UK. You have to pick your spots. La Signora fell foul of this a couple of times when she moved here. Members of her book club were decidedly uncomfortable with "fuck" being used casually.

Comment

FDR was allegedly appalled by Churchill's, erm, "Effing and Jeffing" when they met in private. Churchill certainly knew how to call a cunt a cunt.

Comment

Is "whore" really nastier in the US? It seems nasty enough in the UK, certainly of that list it's the only one that seems unequivocally misogynistic to me.

Comment

Fussbudget wrote: Is "whore" really nastier in the US? It seems nasty enough in the UK, certainly of that list it's the
          only one that seems unequivocmisogynistic to me.
          "Whore" isn't nasty in the Potger household. It's a deliberate unambiguous insult directed at a woman who behaves in a specific manner. cf "cunt". An epithet that also has to be earnt.

Comment

What specific manner, if I may ask?

Comment

It still amuses me that Peg Bundy's family in Married With Children came from Wanker County, Wisconsin.

Comment

I thought cocksucker had a homophobic stigma everywhere?

I've heard women call each other daft cunts here in the friendliest of terms. It's not really a workaday thing, though.

Whore I'd bracket with all the 's' words about women I don't use. Whore I reckon I hear about men more nowadays. Not counting gender neutral terms like media whore.

Comment

Ya whore ye (pronounced hoor) is a Fife thing if I remember right.

Comment

Comment

Ooooh! This is bad news for me, should I ever want to emigrate! At some point in my twenties (I think) I became the sweariest person I know. Just about every sentence I say contains fuck, shit, bollocks or cunt (and hopefully all of them)! Fortunately, I can usually control my urges in 'polite' company. Unfortunately, swearing has become such second nature to me that I can't always be sure I haven't sworn in a sentence in polite company!

Do Canadians swear less or more than Americans?

Me, yesterday:

Comment

Do Canadians swear less or more than Americans?

About 90% less.

Some common British expletives I've rarely heard here. Bastard, I've only come across in it's literal form. Bugger, is also often not often used as a swear word, except perhaps in the maritimes.

Comment

I think we have ascertained on here that 'cunt' in the US is used almost exclusively against women while, in the UK, it is non-gender-specific. Indeed, it is far more rarely used against women here unless it, you know, Thatcher.

I have say that it reflects well on our North American correspondents that they let us use the UK version

Comment

Oh, yeah - I'd rarely call a woman a cunt, unless she was really being one.

My female friends call me a cunt if I'm being one, though. Swings and roundabouts.

Errrr...

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote: ...except perhaps in the maritimes.
                              I'm guessing Newfoundland is "The Maritimes", right?

Comment

I don't think the UK meaning of 'twat' is widely known over here. It's so similar to 'twit' that it could easily be mistaken for a variation of it.

Comment

@evilC:

Broadly, yes. Though it's got a distinct history and culture.

Comment

Points 1 and 2 can't reasonably be addressed without reference to the masterly description of Boris Johnson that appeared on OTF some years ago. I mentioned it to David Sedaris at a signing yesterday. He seemed to like it.

Comment

I've never heard any American use the word 'twat', in any context. Surely it was a British colloquialism that went national?

The 'c'-word has broader usage in the UK - thus I think can be deemed these days more offensive in the US. In Britain, it's only a matter of time before it becomes completely accepted on post-watershed TV, in the way that the 'f'-word did during the nineties. More's the pity.

The power of these words is surely contained by the fact that they aren't used willy-nilly - at least not in the way that crap panel shows like Eight Out of Ten Cats seem to believe so hilarious and edgy.

Comment

I remember the term "twat" being used in The Sopranos a few times.

Comment

whore is a tricky one. Pronounced hoor it's used all the time. A cute hoor is a tricky conniving chancer. (this can be an admiring or insulting term)

that old hoor, implies someone cantankerous. you dirty hoor implies someone filthy and ignorant, but in no sense is it a serious insult. Again it has little to do with prostitution and our tendency to use words for their 'seriousness' rather than any real underlying understanding of their meaning.

calling someone a whore to rhyme with door is a different matter entirely. That's going to get you in a lot of trouble.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: The power of these words is surely contained by the fact that they aren't used willy-nilly - at least not in the way that crap panel shows like Eight Out of Ten Cats seem to believe so hilarious and edgy.
                                            That's the thing, isn't it? When they're overused for "edginess" swear words lose their beauty. At its best, swearing can be a form of folk poetry.

Comment

I think even if you did hear anyone here using the word "twat", they would likely be intending to say that the person was an idiot, rather than a cunt.

In other words, the use of twat here is like the use of cunt over there. But it's still not widely used (unless it's a new thing that started since I became a recluse).

Comment

Pat McGatt! wrote:
                                                Originally posted by Jah Womble
                                                The power of these words is surely contained by the fact that they aren't used willy-nilly - at least not in the way that crap panel shows like Eight Out of Ten Cats seem to believe so hilarious and edgy.
                                                That's the thing, isn't it? When they're overused for "edginess" swear words lose their beauty. At its best, swearing can be a form of folk poetry.
                                                I refer you back to the 'Bored Of Education Cunt-calling Club'

Comment

I'll second FF re: "twat" in the US -- similar to "dick", it may have once been gender-specific but is now just a fairly mild and/or affectionate way to call someone an idiot.

I find i've adopted "motherhumper" from Velvet Soup; it's almost as satisfying to say, without getting yourself in trouble with co-workers, easily offended passers-by, &c.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X