2024 Republican Primaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2024 Republican Primaries

Now DeSantis has declared, let's put all related posts on this one.

DeSantis wears heels to make him look taller. Trump is a sexual predator, found liable by a for an assault, facing likely criminal cases for various state offences in New York and Georgia and two federal cases. DeSantis has enacted fascist state policies on gender identity, gender affirming care, voter suppression, books and free speech by teachers and professors.

Trump should win the nomination even if he's behind bars, but with 15 months to go, that could change: e.g. he dies, strokes out or (very long odds) is impeached. I don't see him walking away because he needs to be running in order to raise money to fight these cases and resultant financial penalties, the alternative being bankruptcy and/or no legal representation.

The GOP in Congress will keep pandering except that McConnell and significant others are either tacitly anti-Trump or willing to signal support for another candidate, and in theory that could grow.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 25-05-2023, 22:19.

Is there a Judge in the USA with the balls to put trump behind bars?

I think not

Comment

I think he might go for the "Alzheimers" gambit by that point, i.e. some fake health grounds for avoiding prison, which only works if you're white.

Comment

Sigh

Comment

Frum's piece on DeSantis is pretty devastating. No one hates a Neo-Repub more than a Trad-Repub.

It was bad when the Twitter Spaces sound was off for the Florida governor. It was worse when the sound came on.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
            I think he might go for the "Alzheimers" gambit by that point, i.e. some fake health grounds for avoiding prison, which only works if you're white.
            Trump has armies of Malitia standing by to pay the judge and courtroom a visit.
            Trump is too proud to say his faculties are not 100%

Comment

What an opening five posts.

I am not sure that starting this thread was the best outlet of Satchmo feeling a bit better on a cruise ship. Unless Snake can find a way to disable his subscription to the thread.

Comment

Is it just the Ron and Don show?

There’s no love for the rest of the candidates?

Tim Scott and Nikki Haley splitting that huge non-white Republicans from South Carolina caucus. I think either of these could actually be a threat in a general election if they were to get through the primary (which they won’t). The media would paint them as moderate and centrist because they’re not white and not as explicit in their craziness as Ron and Don. Basically, they’d get a free pass.

And what about the clown car of fringe vanity candidates: Asa Hutchinson. Vivek Ramaswamy, Conor Roy, Larry Elder and so on?

Seriously, the fact that there are already 10 declared candidates suggests that at least some are scenting blood in the water from the headliners.

Comment

Won't that mean a rerun of 2016? Trump was nominated because the field was so huge it splintered the vote and tossed him the candidacy. e

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                    Trump is too proud to say his faculties are not 100%
                    Very true

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                      Won't that mean a rerun of 2016? Trump was nominated because the field was so huge it splintered the vote and tossed him the candidacy. e
                      I think there’s a fair chance of that.

Comment

Now DeSantis has declared, let's put all related posts on this one.

Trump should win the nomination even if he's behind bars, but with 15 months to go, that could change: e.g. he dies, strokes out or (very long odds) is impeached. .
                        He's not holding office, so he can't be impeached. He was twice already, for all the good it did us.

Comment

SB just doesn't understand vanity candidate / vice presidential aspirant culture.

De Santis was by far the most plausible challenger (not that he was plausible) and he suffered a rapid unscheduled dissambly upon launch.

Comment

I get the impression that Trump was always very happy to support/have DeSantis around because he knew that he'd implode outside his bubble/Trump could gut him like a fish if the need arose.

Comment

Yeah, that seems very plausible

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                What an opening five posts.

I am not sure that starting this thread was the best outlet of Satchmo feeling a bit better on a cruise ship. Unless Snake can find a way to disable his subscription to the thread.
                                In all seriousness that's a good suggestion. Today I think I've taken a big crash from the massive high of Stevie Wonder. Need to remember what the cruise taught me about dealing better with these dips, and starting a thread on these two cunts, who push all my wrong buttons, was just not it.

Comment

https://twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status/1662071008747229186?t=TW3Hj6gMlRfcLeT2cjiL9Q&s=19

Comment

Good observation from Michelle Goldberg:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/25/o...ind-virus.html

Second, DeSantis’s decision to make his tacit alliance with Musk such an integral part of his campaign identity suggests a submissive and receding quality. He ran for governor in 2018 by emphasizing his worshipful fealty to Donald Trump, cutting an embarrassing commercial in which he lovingly instructed his children in the MAGA gospel. Now, coming out of Trump’s shadow, he’s opted to attach himself to another big, strong friend rather than stand on his own. Last night, after the announcement, his campaign tweeted a bizarre, music-less video that features DeSantis speaking about immigration over a montage of images of him and of Musk, as if they were running for president as a team.
                                    The video in the link is truly embarrassing and amateurish...DeSantis' team is either really bad, or they're fleecing him if that's the best they can do.

The Murdoch/Fox News angle is interesting...are they pushing any candidate at this point? I would have thought it would have been DeSantis, but Musk is clearly trying to turn Twitter into some online competitor to Fox News, and they gleefully covered the DeSantis announcement debacle since it was bad for Musk. With DeSantis sucking up to Musk so blatantly, I can't see Fox promoting him much. ​

Comment

Musk might have more power than the Murdochs right now and DeSantis appears to have reached that conclusion; but it's a bad choice because Musk is prone to stupid decisions and has no loyalty whereas Fox at least answers to shareholders and has a loyal audience of elderly cabbages who will turn out to vote.

DeSantis also has no originality. He is a grab-bag of fascist policies copying Orban and the Texas wackjobs. He can't think on his feet in a debate (see Rubio 2015) and has little to appeal to the Rust Belt working-class whites without whom he can't beat Biden. No charisma to appeal to women, who also will note his abortion record.

Comment

Musk might have more power than the Murdochs right now and DeSantis appears to have reached that conclusion
                                        I think that's a very flawed conclusion. Musk has a very small cadre of very vocal fanboys, and the people who're really invested in using Twitter, particularly as an anti-woke truth machine, are heard loudly by lots of other people on Twitter, they self-amplify, but they really don't have any reach. A lot of journalists spend a lot of time on Twitter, particularly right-wing journalists, which make them think it's way more important than it actually is.

Comment

So it's more a case of DeSantis hearing that "anti-woke" is Twitter's USP and mistaking that for reach to an actual audience that will flock to his cause?

Comment

It is especially untrue of the Republican primary electorate, which watches television

Comment

De Santis' major donors (led by Elmo fluffier Sacks) and his staff (led by his unhinged wingnut press secretary) live in that bubble,

Relatively few voters do.

Comment

That is an autocorrect for the ages

Comment

Twitter politics has been a losing product for the Republicans for at least two elections. I’ve said on here and multiple other places that I knew the Republicans were fucked in 2020 because, having watched their entire convention, it was just “I’m getting cancelled in my Twitter menchies” all day long. The bird site is used by less than 10% of the American population and two thirds of those people just use it for sports trade news or food recipes or local news (not opinion, news).

They doubled down on this in 2022 and had the worst midterm performance in decades.

Trump is going to win the nomination (and likely lose the election again) because he is the party and the party is him at this point, but Ron’s very online attitude is not going to help him.

also he’s really fucking young, I had no idea he’s 44. Why is he shooting his shot now?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X