Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey

The Cover Up Starts

The number of dead is close to 300 and with 120 plus still missing the government has decided that one hundred people have been accounted for and that only 18 are missing.

Scandal upon scandal here.

Comment

Turkey

Turkey mine disaster: police use riot tactics at protests about mine safety

http://gu.com/p/3pakk

The state has truly lost all sense of reality and compassion.

Comment

Turkey

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/fans-players-mourn-soma-victims-as-drogba-makes-huge-donation.aspx?pageID=238&nID=66612&NewsCatID=362

Drogba also said he wished his donation had been kept secret.

24 people arrested and 3 apparently charged over the murder at Soma.

Comment

Turkey

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27459912

25 not 24, 3 are charged with negligence, including the operation manager.

Comment

Turkey

If only the government was a fraction as responsive as the football community.

One hopes that the contrast will not pass without notice.

Comment

Turkey

Besiktas' Carsi group left 301 empty seats at their game yesterday.

Galatasaray's players came out of the tunnel wearing miners helmets.

Bilic in his post-match interview wore a tshirt offering his condolences.

Mancini in his interview wore a miner's helmet.

What did Tayyip and his cronies do?

They turned the riot police onto the grieving families and continued with the beatings that Tayyip and one of his advisor's had started the day after the mass murder.

Comment

Turkey

Gunfire reported at the gates of the Dolmabahce Palace in Istanbul

Comment

Turkey

Policeman lightly wounded, two attackers in custody

Comment

Turkey

One of the better Parliamentary brawls that I've seen.

Comment

Turkey

He's certainly demonstrated once again that he's happy to jettison people who no longer serve his purpose. Davutoglu goes the way of Gul (who, I suspect, was largely ostracised due to not toeing the party line over Gezi).

AE, I'd be interested to hear about how your friends and contacts in Turkey feel at the moment. I was seeing some Turkish friends last weekend and asked them about it - they don't have any intention to leave (and actually feel that, to a degree, things seem to be in a bit of a 'lull' at the moment, although clearly still in a fragile state). Obviously if the HDP lose parliamentary immunity things would get considerably worse no doubt.

I'd also expect that he'll move against the MHP for safety too, given their improved performance and polling. Perhaps more through appeals to nationalism than any direct attacks.

Comment

Turkey

I suppose he's purged the armed forces of any possible opposition. Almost pining for the old 'secular' bastards' periodic interventions.

Comment

Turkey

Explosions and gunfire at the Ataturk Airport in Istanbul, which is particularly chilling to those of us who have been there more than once.

Early reports of at least 10 dead.

Comment

Turkey

Police opened fire on two suspects who then blew themselves up outside security checkpoint at international terminal, Turkish officials say
                            From the Guardian. Other reports say 15 dead.

Comment

Turkey

60 plus reported injured. It has all the signs of being an IS attack.

Today Turkey restored/normalised diplomatic ties with Israel after 6 years and Russia. I think this was the response.

I fear for Turkey as this kind of attack is going to become even more common. Any tourists thinking of going on a cheap summer holiday have been put off after today in sure.

Comment

Turkey

I've also seen a report of 28 dead.

This is horrible.

Comment

Turkey

Now 28 dead. It's beyond words.

Edit. 3 not 2 suicide bombers.

Comment

Turkey

Le Dragon de Gaziantep wrote: 60 plus reported injured. It has all the signs of being an IS attack.

Today Turkey restored/normalised diplomatic ties with Israel after 6 years and Russia. I think this was the response.

I fear for Turkey as this kind of attack is going to become even more common. Any tourists thinking of going on a cheap summer holiday have been put off after today in sure.
                                    Why would ISIS attack Turkey? Erdogan is one of their keenest supporters and enablers. And ISIS have no beef with Israel (in fact, according to a UN report, Israel has aided ISIS fighters in Syria).

These attacks are long planned, not spontaneous reactions to diplomatic tweaks.

Comment

Turkey

Anyway, as ursus says, it is a bit unnerving for those who have been at that airport.

My second-cousin was in the airport during the attack. He reported himself safe in Facebook. Among other things he wrote: " I was in the lounge when it happened. Many deaths and injured. Total panic. I was hiding in the back room of the lounge kitchen. Very very scary. I am safe now. Airport of course is closed."

Comment

Turkey

What do they have to gain from attacking a strategic installation such as an airport? Provoke Erdogan into not aiding them anymore?

Comment

Turkey

Yes, this is not going to get better any time soon. Erdogan has brought all this upon himself of course, but it's not him who will suffer, it's innocent people all over the country.

Realised last night that in fact there is no airport anywhere that I'm more familiar with than Ataturk. (I spend more time in Otopeni (Bucharest), bu I only ever use the international terminal there. Istanbul I fly into, fly out of, transfer, use domestic and international flights from. I even know about the secret route from international arrivals to domestic departures.

Comment

Turkey

Hugh Sykes on the Today program on Radio 4 this morning said that he's used this airport a lot and at the entrance to the airport there's a security check for cars that he's never seen in operation. This was repeated on subsequent news bulletins.

I've used Atatürk a lot and I've seen it used, the check is about 1km from the main entrance and they have done random spot checks there. Even if they stop vehicles there it will create a logjam there and make that a target. Very difficult to know how that or other airports can be protected.

Comment

Turkey

I'm holding a team event in Istanbul in August, mostly because I like Istanbul but also because my team can get visas on arrival there. I asked today if they wanted me to relocate the meeting, but they all said they were still happy to travel there.

Comment

Turkey

Don't you have to get an e-visa?

Comment

Turkey

You can do either. The e-visa is quite new (and an improvement). But you can still get the old kind when you get there

Comment

Turkey

Le Dragon de Gaziantep wrote: Don't you have to get an e-visa?
                                                    They are mostly Somalis - which is an irony, given that we work every day with this type of event. It's a concession given to Somalis arriving on a direct Turkish Airlines flight.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X