No announcement yet.

A Well Regulated Militia . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

​​​​​... and it seems Fox News still hasn't mentioned the current situation in Boulder once.

​​​​​​

Comment

Columbine, Aurora and now Boulder

Three mass shootings with double digit death tolls around Denver in a bit more than 20 years

Comment

Originally posted by Me Old Flower View Post
        ​​​​​... and it seems Fox News still hasn't mentioned the current situation in Boulder once.

​​​​​​
        Surprising. There’s a definite “moral degradation of rich liberal relativists on drugs” to be had there.

It hardly feels like national news any more. It’s just so expected and all of the reaction and reaction to the reaction is so predictable.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          Columbine, Aurora and now Boulder

Three mass shootings with double digit death tolls around Denver in a bit more than 20 years
          It's at the point where you begin to wonder what's wrong with Colorado. There's the obvious thing that huge swathes of the state are very right-wing, and very gun-extremist tendency. And that there's a disconnect between this group and a (very for America) liberal part of the state that's been increasing rapidly in the last three decades. It used to be just Boulder as the crusty enclave, but loads of people have moved to Colorado from the coasts, encouraged by mountains, cheap(er) housing, the sunshine and the fact that there are now loads of coastal people in the state. Meanwhile, literally everything east of Denver is indistinguishable from Kansas - it's giant flat prairie full of the same rural America stereotypes. The mountains still have loads of libertarians who are in the mountains to stay away from the interference of others - but particularly government. And then there's the religious extremists who have congregates in Colorado Springs.

Colorado is a "purple" state, but it's not a moderate state. It's basically two pretty divergent wings of US politics who exist in fairly equal numbers. I'm sure that creates a whole lot of friction.

But there's something else, too. Columbine and Aurora at least both seem heavily to do with disaffected youth feeling trapped. I wonder if the rapid expansion of Denver in particular - where people live in new build tracts of soulless same-same housing on the flat lands ever further out. And the new builds therefore being increasingly distant from any center of gravity for shopping and entertainment and culture, leaving young people feeling massively cut-off. I feel like the kinds of people I know in Colorado do feel inclined to buy huge houses for their family and seem to think that's more important than urban living, with the consequence that they'll choose a 4500 square foot house somewhere in a newly built tract out north of the 470 where you can still get a view of the mountains. But they're thinking of their two year old kids having somewhere to play, not how their 15 year old kids will not be able to go out with friends to see gigs or whatever. It's possible that lots of teenagers will feel like there's no outlet at all trapped in the suburban hell which has been growing around Denver for a long time now.

Comment

The hellscape pavementless public transport bereft suburbs of west Dublin make my soul ache and fear for anyone growing up there, Denver sounds like utter dystopia. And inevitable drunk driving.

Comment

Much of Denver is lovely - the downtown area and a bunch of older inner suburbs, particularly to the west. And some of the front range commuter towns like Boulder, and maybe Golden. But the sprawl into the plains is pretty dystopian. The airport was built about 20 miles to the west of town in the absolute middle of nowhere. Now, you drive from the airport and before too long it's endless ugly suburbia. Even worse, in the last few miles you'll see new developments getting built, just a bunch of houses stuck on their own with absolutely no infrastructure, like they were lifted from a city and just dropped randomly from space.

Comment

My friend contacted her friend who lives in Boulder, to ask how she was. She replied that her son was working in the supermarket in question at the time, but is ok. She also works for the sheriffs office, and thinks she knows the officer who was killed. Understandably they're both a bit shook up.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                  My friend contacted her friend who lives in Boulder, to ask how she was. She replied that her son was working in the supermarket in question at the time, but is ok. She also works for the sheriffs office, and thinks she knows the officer who was killed. Understandably they're both a bit shook up.
                  Good lord. Amazing he wasn't hurt. I can't imagine what it must be like to go through that.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                    Much of Denver is lovely - the downtown area and a bunch of older inner suburbs, particularly to the west. And some of the front range commuter towns like Boulder, and maybe Golden. But the sprawl into the plains is pretty dystopian. The airport was built about 20 miles to the west of town in the absolute middle of nowhere. Now, you drive from the airport and before too long it's endless ugly suburbia. Even worse, in the last few miles you'll see new developments getting built, just a bunch of houses stuck on their own with absolutely no infrastructure, like they were lifted from a city and just dropped randomly from space.

Yeah, and I know from my friends who live in Denver or anywhere on the front range that they do not, in fact, spend much time in the mountains. They're too far away and there's too much traffic getting out there to do it very often. I think people move there imagining that they're going to ski after work when the weather is favorable. That's just not possible. People in State College can do a lot more skiing than people in Denver. Our mountain is small and often icy, but it's about 10 minutes from campus.

Of course, there are people who actually live in Aspen, Steamboat, etc, but most of the money in those towns comes from tourists and rich people who own second/third/fourth houses there. A lot of the people who work in those towns have to commute from some less fashionable place, like Leadville, which is hard to do in the winter.

Comment

https://twitter.com/mattwalshblog/status/1374475403075588103

Comment

For the first time i've come across an argument that gun rights are necessary to avoid a second Holocaust: the first one was only allowed to happen, apparently, because Hitler confiscated weapons from the Jews so that they couldn't defend themselves.

This bears all the hallmarks of a Fox News take, and personally i'm unconvinced that the NRA is concerned with protecting America from white supremacy. But it does reinforce my curiosity about the degree of illogicality and nonsense in an argument that people are prepared to accept and pass on, so long as it reinforces their own point of view.

Comment

That one has been around for a good decade plus now. I've always considered it a pendant to the fervent Evangelical support for Israeli aggression on the basis that it will hasten Armageddon

The degree in your second paragraph lacks any limit in current USian discourse

Comment

https://twitter.com/msnbc/status/1377458101222305796

Comment

"The situation has been stabilized and there is no threat to the public."

Except the four who were killed and two injured of course.

Comment

The whole euphemistic vocabulary that has developed around these atrocities is revolting

Comment

People are so desensitized to it that their first thought is just “is their any more danger to me or my kids?” Not much attempt to process the loss of the departed.

Comment

https://twitter.com/jemillerwbal/status/1380120457324683267

Comment

Is it Farrakhan again?

Comment

It's an ex-NFL player, who was found dead from self-inflicted wounds:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ills-5-himself

Unfortunately the wound was to the head, so it's not clear whether they can check for CTE (this is why former NFL player Junior Seau shot himself in the chest for his suicide).

Also related:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...cussion-claims

Comment

https://twitter.com/awainwrighttv/status/1381708005524246528

Comment

That’s a new one.
                                            The unidentified officer is on administrative leave after what the chief called an "accidental discharge."

Comment

Indianapolis - eight dead

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56770200

"Authorities said there was no further threat to public safety"

(Except all the firearms held in private ownership that is)

Comment

https://twitter.com/markgongloff/status/1383087419956805656?s=20

Comment

Texas votes to allow open carry without license.
                                                  I guess, if you are under pressure to defund the police, you just pass a law to deputise citizens.

Anyone fancy guessing who these guns will be used on?

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/04...nal-carry-law/

Comment

While much of the recent drama surrounding the ideas has originated from the lower chamber, things have been less certain in the Senate, where Patrick has expressed reservations about such a measure. Ahead of the 2015 session, he said he did not think there was enough support among lawmakers or the public for constitutional carry, a sentiment he reiterated in 2017 while citing law enforcement concerns with “anyone being able to walk down the street with a gun and they don’t know if they have a permit or not."

His office did not respond to a request for comment Friday on whether the Senate will move on the bill.

Sen. Drew Springer, R-Muenster, is carrying a proposal similar to HB 1927, but it was referred to the Senate State Affairs Committee over a month ago and has not gotten a hearing yet.

One key Republican senator, Sen. Kel Seliger of Amarillo, is not immediately sold on the idea. In an interview Friday afternoon, he said his office was still researching the proposal.

“My record is I vote for just about all” bills related to gun rights, Seliger said. “At the same time, the system that we have now works.”

Senate rules in most cases require a bill to receive 18 votes in the 31-member chamber to reach the floor. There are only 18 GOP senators, so a permitless-carry bill would either need the support of all Republicans or, if someone were to defect, to pick up at least one Democratic vote. Asked if he would block such a bill from coming to the Senate floor — or vote against it on the floor — Seliger said he did not know, reiterating his office was still analyzing the legislation.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X