A Well Regulated Militia . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, now I get it.

i don't think that anyone was suggesting that the ridiculous number of guns was an accident. It is quite obviously the result of a diabolical combination of commercial and political forces that don't exist elsewhere.

Comment

Well, very few judges or legal scholars thought that it was an individual right before the 1990s, and the process by which that view has become more widely accepted since then is very illustrative of how commercial and political forces operate here.

Comment

Stochastic terrorism - "the public demonization of a person or group resulting in the incitement of a violent act, which is statistically probable but whose specifics cannot be predicted".

At its lowest level, this results in microaggressions and hardening attitudes towards minorities. At its worst, the consequences are predictable but deniable massacres.

The men who massacre people aren't 'lone wolves'. They encourage each other, on 8chan and 4chan and incel forums where they idolise and critique the likes of the Christchurch killer. For years this was a weird corner of the internet, but now the demonisation flows fully and openly from the top it's no surprise that more and more seething, bigoted misfits are becoming emboldened to act. Fascists don't need to get their lads together in a beer hall, not in the 21st century. White nationalist murderers, and the 'Proud Boys' type fash and neo-fash militias behind them, are the SA of our era, carrying out the street violence and terror that feeds and supports their political and media leaders while the latter exercise full plausible deniability and stoke fear about 'antifa'.

Comment

They think they are contributing to a cause. Just like soldiers and just like Islamist terrorists. Just because they have not directly been given orders doesn't make them separate

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
            Stochastic terrorism - "the public demonization of a person or group resulting in the incitement of a violent act, which is statistically probable but whose specifics cannot be predicted".

At its lowest level, this results in microaggressions and hardening attitudes towards minorities. At its worst, the consequences are predictable but deniable massacres.

The men who massacre people aren't 'lone wolves'. They encourage each other, on 8chan and 4chan and incel forums where they idolise and critique the likes of the Christchurch killer. For years this was a weird corner of the internet, but now the demonisation flows fully and openly from the top it's no surprise that more and more seething, bigoted misfits are becoming emboldened to act. Fascists don't need to get their lads together in a beer hall, not in the 21st century. White nationalist murderers, and the 'Proud Boys' type fash and neo-fash militias behind them, are the SA of our era, carrying out the street violence and terror that feeds and supports their political and media leaders while the latter exercise full plausible deniability and stoke fear about 'antifa'.
            Yeah, dump enough toxic waste in the lake, and you can no longer claim to be surprised when a mutant swamp monster crawls out and destroys your city. See I don't necessarily think that highlighting that this person was dangerously unwell, in any way undermines the case against white supremacists. I suspect that as people look further into his background, then the comparisons with the sort of third generation banlieu dweller, who carries out a jihadi suicide attack will probably start to appear. That 8 chan board is just the white supremacist shooter equivalent of the manipulative psychopath who manipulates the damaged person into blowing themselves up on the tube. We're all on the same page that those guys are cunts, so there shouldn't be any ambiguity about their white supremacist counterparts, and when you get as far as them, it's going to turn out that they're fucked up on some level as well. (But, you know, so are most people, so it's not really an excuse) There is of course a different kind of dangerously damaged person, who kidnaps someones family to force them to suicide bomb someone. They get to be in power, and go to dinner with the queen.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

I disagree. Seems to me that we more or less all have the capacity for horrible senseless violence directed at "the other" . It's not just radical ideology that fires that up, joining the army seems to do roughly the same job. Look at the IDF for example.
              Most of us keep our barbaric sides more or less under control, squashed down in out ids, with a very tight lid on them. Some people have looser id lids than others, I suppose.

And I am not denying for a moment that white supremacist organisations appeal - and are deliberately designed to appeal - to angry young men. Does that make acts of violence carried out by angry young men white supremacist? Harder to parse.

Comment

Not as much when they leave so much evidence of their views

Comment

Originally posted by Lurgee View Post

Most of us keep our barbaric sides more or less under control, squashed down in out ids, with a very tight lid on them. Some people have looser id lids than others, I suppose.

And I am not denying for a moment that white supremacist organisations appeal - and are deliberately designed to appeal - to angry young men. Does that make acts of violence carried out by angry young men white supremacist? Harder to parse.
                  Pretty easy to parse.IMO. Ifhey say they are white supremacists I take them at their word

Comment

The usual response among too many when reports of a big shooting come in are "Muslim or mental?", as if there can be no other explanation for any non-Muslim going on a murderous rampage. While also casually insulting the huge number of people with mental health problems in equating them with mass killers.

This tweet captures it:

https://twitter.com/DCampoamor/status/1157806471213715458?s=04&fbclid=IwAR05Jgjoj3vua2-by_AJZl-SKjfCEeNR_hsZSSJ8pJR2Z9kdree_HEoLCgs

Comment

Yes, it doesn't seem that hard to parse.

Comment

https://members.tortoisemedia.com/20...n/content.html

I'd never heard of 4chan or 8chan until today, this seems like a decent explanation of them.

Edit: similar to what UA posted but gives background to Brennan.

Comment

What we talk about when we talk about "guns" here

[URL="https://twitter.com/npenzenstadler/status/1158109460033953792?s=21"]https://twitter.com/npenzenstadler/status/1158109460033953792[/URL]

Comment

You can make a fair dent in the scary part of the gun industry just dealing with high-capacity rounds, bump stocks and other add-on nonsense that simply serve to make automatic weapons work like video games.

It is amazing that the Dayton shooting ended as quickly as it did.

Comment

He was shot dead after 30 seconds. Enough time to kill nine people including his sister. I was about eleven when I read about the response to Orson Welles' War of the Worlds. My Dad said "Americans, neurotic and hysterical." It seemed simplistic back then, even to a kid. Now I wonder.

Comment

The War of the Worlds panic was massively overblown

Comment

Fake news spreading pseudo-panic and hysteria then?

Comment

Concerted effort by newspapers to sow doubt about the accuracy and reliability of radio "news"

Meta AF

Comment

What we talk about . . .

[URL="https://twitter.com/spikechicago/status/1157796113040257025?s=21"]https://twitter.com/spikechicago/status/1157796113040257025[/URL]

Comment

How do non-gun-nuts get anything done in places like that with any dignity? If I walked in somewhere to get something to eat and I saw that, I'd soil myself on the spot. I'm not going to say 'does nobody think it's weird', because obviously a lot of people do, but what do they get out of it? If I ever find myself in a position to visit the States again I'll be planning exact locations based on local gun laws.

(All rhetorical, obviously, and no need to actually answer.)

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                                          The usual response among too many when reports of a big shooting come in are "Muslim or mental?", as if there can be no other explanation for any non-Muslim going on a murderous rampage. While also casually insulting the huge number of people with mental health problems in equating them with mass killers.

This tweet captures it:

https://twitter.com/DCampoamor/status/1157806471213715458?s=04&fbclid=IwAR05Jgjoj3vua2-by_AJZl-SKjfCEeNR_hsZSSJ8pJR2Z9kdree_HEoLCgs
                                          Yeah, nah, I'm not buying that. No-one - no matter how toxic their masculinity or how supreme they think the white race is goes on a shooting rampage without being unwell in the branes.

I'm aware that people with mental illness are more likely to be the victims of violence than cause it; and most will not commit violent acts. But most =/= all and it is too glib and easy to dismiss the importance of the shooter's mental health. Though perhaps 'mental illness' is the wrong term as it carries connotations and unfairly implicates others. 'Toxic mental illness,' anyone? Though not.

My thinks here are based on the information I mentioned previously about the Christchurch shooter, which indicated he wasn't really part of any formal organisation. Once you're 'in the club' you're mainly interested in building status and banging chicks, like in any organisation from the SWP through sports teams to white collar firms. It is the outsiders who tend to go 'off on one'; white supremacists who are part of an organisation tend to engage in low-level nastiness but not sprees like this. Mostly because their bosses don't want to end up in jail.

The internet gives these outliers a sense of connection and whets whatever problem they have, where as a formal gang structure tends to mute it somewhat.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

Pretty easy to parse.IMO. Ifhey say they are white supremacists I take them at their word
                                            And if they said they were the Son of God?

Comment

Originally posted by Lurgee View Post

And if they said they were the Son of God?
                                              We are all God's children surely?

Comment

Stunning levels of hypocrisy from Cloudfare after years of inaction and collusion with 8chan

https://new.blog.cloudflare.com/term...ice-for-8chan/

As long as the cheques kept rolling in eh lads?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                  How does a ventriloquist act work on radio? I mean what's the point of the dummy when nobody can see it's a dummy?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X