Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Well Regulated Militia . . .

Does no one put on the safety anymore?

Natural selection isn't operating quickly enough.

Comment

Cal Alamein wrote: Idiot parents shot in Albuquerque.

All over the news in my hometown.
      If only the parents had had access to more guns, they could have defended themselves.

Comment

Renart wrote:
        Originally posted by So Solidarnosc Crew
        “You have to look at the big picture and find that balance between protecting your family and having that instant access to that firearm,” Ball said.
        Mad.
        Indeed. From a purely actuarial standpoint, bringing firearms into your house massively increases the chances that somebody in your family will be injured or killed. It's one of the worst possible things you can do to "protect" them.
        Am I made safer by robbers thinking I might have a gun in my house because some other fools do?

Comment

I suppose it's possible, but I think violent crime rates are generally higher in the heavily armed South than elsewhere, so I don't think it's likely.

Comment

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote: North Miami Beach Police use mug shots as shooting targets.

And all the mug shots are of Black citizens!
            They're tired of black racists, or so twitted a police officer.

Comment

Renart wrote: I suppose it's possible, but I think violent crime rates are generally higher in the heavily armed South than elsewhere, so I don't think it's likely.
              But the South are much poorer, aren't they?

Comment

Depends.

All of this depends.

Regions and countries are not monolithic.

One thing I am comfortable saying is that the increased chance of being shot once you have a weapon in the house seriously outweighs any kind of "deterrence" of burglars.

Comment

I'm not saying that. I'm saying I don't want one in the house, but burglars think I might.

Comment

You don't understand burglar culture.

Comment

Yeah, I don't know if it's ever been studied legitimately, but I highly doubt there's less burglarly or home invasion in places with looser gun laws. I bet the only thing that changes, maybe, is that the burglars are more likely to pack heat, too.

Comment

On The Media had a good segment this past week about the bunk statistic that 2.5 million Americans use their guns to defend themselves from criminal acts each year, and how that gets repeated by gun advocates.

Comment

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/year-alaska-boy-shot-moms-gun-falls-holster-29141876

Comment

9 dead in Missouri.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2015/02/27/mass-shooting-in-missouri.html

Comment

That link goes to the Star's front page, which might be fine as some kind of guerilla counter-marketing, but this link works.

A gunman killed seven people in a door-to-door shooting spree across the rural Missouri community of Tyrone before turning his weapon on himself, police said Friday. A ninth person at a home searched during the investigation was also found dead, but apparently of natural causes, said Missouri State Highway Patrol Sgt. Jeff Kinder.

The suspect, believed to be a 36-year-old male, died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. His body was located inside of a car in a neighboring county — one of six active crime scenes, police said.

Comment

The natural causes woman is the real twist in that tale.

Comment

Dunno.

If one was frail and just saw someone close to you blown away by a shotgun, the "cause" is a bit less than "natural" in my book.

Comment

WOM's observation reminds me of this article on how difficult it is to be murdered in Chicago

Comment

I wonder how many deaths have been reported on this thread alone.

Comment

Third child THIS WEEK shoots self in Houston.

Comment

Active shooting in Mesa, Arizona (near Phoenix)

Six people shot at various locations so far, one of whom has died.

Suspect reportedly a "40 year old white man with a neck tatoo".

Comment

So, Waco, then.

The police charged about 170 people on Monday in the shootout among rival motorcycle gangs at a busy shopping plaza in this Central Texas city on Sunday that left at least nine bikers dead and 18 others wounded.
                                            What we've got here is hundreds of bikers from multiple gangs (all of which are engaged in drug trafficking and mayhem) "meeting" at a "breastaurant" in the parking lot of a mall outside Waco.

Needless to say, literally no one in Texas is suggesting that the widespread availability of firearms may have played a role in the carnage.

Comment

Yeah, I mean, didn't it go exactly the way these things are supposed to go according to the NRA? A "bad guy" drew a gun and then a bunch of other people did, too, and they shot at each other.

I'm not even sure why the cops got involved!

Comment

Waco, Waco, Waco.

Now where have I heard that name before...

Comment

Comment

Texas being Texas

As it happens, the gun fight coincides with the likely passage of a legislative initiative to loosen gun laws in Texas.

On Monday, deliberations over a bill that would allow for the open carrying of handguns in Texas went on as scheduled in the state’s Senate. Lawmakers offered support for the measure, which has already passed Texas House. “This bill does not have anything to do with what went on yesterday," a state senator remarked. This sentiment was echoed by others, including Texas Governor Greg Abbott, who told the AP on Monday: "The shootout occurred when we don't have open carry, so obviously the current laws didn't stop anything like that.”

Comment

Working...
                                                    X