Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Well Regulated Militia . . .

ursus arctos wrote: Very true.

You know this, but hunting is completely beyond the experience of the vast majority of New Yorkers (us, not people from upstate).

I know many more people who have been scuba diving in the Caribbean than have hunted.
    Yeah, and that's part of the problem. The first day of buck season is a holiday here. Some school districts give another day off for the first day of doe/antler-less season. But the people around here have no sense of what it's like to live in a city that has multiple homicides a day*. We get the occasional nut job or meth-related situation, but not even all of those are committed with guns. It's hard to get people around here to grasp the severity of the problem.

*I mean the people in the more rural areas who, by and large, have lived their whole life in a place like that. State College itself is getting increasingly diverse and most people at the university, students and faculty, are from somewhere else. Often a different continent.

Comment

Indeed, it works both ways.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the most common "first experience with firing a gun" in our neighbourhood is on "Birthright" trips to Israel.

Comment

I've fired an air rifle, a shotgun, and a black-powder rifle at Scout Camp a few times, but that's it. It doesn't interest me at all.

We also did intro to archery in phys ed class in high school, but the bows and arrows we used were relatively benign. You'd have to be very close to somebody to hurt them with those. We shot them into cardboard targets.

I've always wanted to fire an 18th century musket and learn how to do it repeatedly. That would be interesting. I'd also like to fire an 18th century cannon from a wooden ship. And drink grog. I'll skip the sodomy and lashing parts, though.

Comment

I've fired a BB gun. Maybe twice.

One of my cousins is a Civil War re-enactor. I don't think he has his own musket yet.

Comment

More details on Montgomery County shootings.

he suspect behind a killing spree that left six people dead in Montgomery County, including his ex-wife, remains at large.

Authorities identified the suspect as Bradley William Stone, 35, of Pennsburg, Pa.

All of the victims had a 'familial' relationship with Stone, the Montgomery County District Attorney's Office said.

Comment

Unarmed African-American in Houston shot three times.

EDIT: Sorry, this one should have been in the Michael Brown thread.

Comment

Dog shoots man.

Kozisek told The Sheridan Press (http://bit.ly/1sMfrgZ ) that Fipps and two others were in a remote area trying to move a vehicle that had become stuck. Fipps was standing beside his truck when he told his dog to move from the front seat to the back seat.

The sheriff says a rifle was on the back seat and it discharged toward Fipps.

Comment

I'm not sure how being able to buy a Penn State version of something makes it less bad. "I'm not a gun nut, I'm a student rape apologist!"

Comment

Fuck off. Really. Fuck. Off.

Comment

"American Sniper" shot dead at shooting range.

raq veteran and ex-US Navy seal Chris Kyle, known as the deadliest sniper in US history, has been shot dead on a Texas shooting range, reports say.

His body was found at Rough Creek Lodge range on Saturday along with that of his neighbour, Chad Littlefield.

Iraq war veteran Eddie Ray Routh, 25, has been charged with murdering both.

Comment

On tonight's edition of Two Year Old News...

Comment

I thought that sounded familiar . . .

Comment

Two-year old shoots mother with her own gun.

Comment

The second half of that article is quite eye-opening.

Comment

“You have to look at the big picture and find that balance between protecting your family and having that instant access to that firearm,” Ball said.
                                Mad.

Comment

This tragedy would never have happened had the mother had the sense to arm her toddler in the first place. Had the infant had its own NRA/Fisher Price My First Sidearm, it wouldn’t have had the curiosity to seek out Mom's piece.

It’s yet another awful example of what happens when guns are not freely available.

Comment

Sam wrote: The second half of that article is quite eye-opening.
                                    Yes. What the fuck, indeed.

Comment

I'm quite sure that it is considered "news that you can use" in Idaho and Eastern Washington.

Comment

It is bizarre and crazy. Especially when the anger of the family is directed at the observers already using the accident as an excuse to grandstand on gun rights.

Comment

So Solidarnosc Crew wrote:
                                          “You have to look at the big picture and find that balance between protecting your family and having that instant access to that firearm,” Ball said.
                                          Mad.
                                          Indeed. From a purely actuarial standpoint, bringing firearms into your house massively increases the chances that somebody in your family will be injured or killed. It's one of the worst possible things you can do to "protect" them.

Comment

North Miami Beach Police use mug shots as shooting targets.

And all the mug shots are of Black citizens!

Comment

But don't you dare call them racists!

Comment

the much talked about second half of that article contains this ageless line

There are also alternatives to carrying a gun in your purse, like, for example, a fanny pack that's actually an easy access holster

Comment

I've also come rapidly to the conclusion when I read about incidents like this that there is no such thing as racism in US police forces, only "errors of judgement".

Comment

Idiot parents shot in Albuquerque.

All over the news in my hometown.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X