No announcement yet.

Strike solidarity thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the NEU advice is clearly aimed at NASUWT members who might jump ship or will stay in both but want to strike and currently can't. They cannot actively poach or recruit members but are doing it this way.

Comment

Anyone can refuse to cross a picket line as a matter of conscience (or they can claim it was too stressful or intimidating or whatever).
      And legally are just as protected as union members

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
        Anyone can refuse to cross a picket line as a matter of conscience (or they can claim it was too stressful or intimidating or whatever).
        And legally are just as protected as union members
        If there's a picket line of course.

The DfE and OFSTED are also striking on the same day.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ucu/status/1619719518657331202?s=20&t=27qdSjHIQ40fbZUWIZsSEQ

Comment

Here we go

https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellMP/status/1620015744275853319?s=20&t=0hk8uJOmCTbT9RRLrrfDdw

Comment

No-one is doing anything about this, are they?

Comment

Well there is a mini general strike about it tomorrow but, no the TUC will rely on Sir Keir to repeal it

Comment

Lie-in tomorrow as no school drop-off to fuss over. Yay! Ms Rifle will take the kids on the demo in London, for educational purposes.

Good luck to all striking tomorrow, and in the coming weeks in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post

The other thing is that there's no reason why your employer should even know if you're in a union let alone which one, so I'm struggling with the idea that NASUWT members would be sacked or disciplined for going on strike unless their employers are massively overreaching (sorry I see this second point has been sort of addressed since I started typing this, but still)
                    I hadn't considered this, but since the end of check-off the CS wouldn't know who was a union member at all, obviously. I don't know if a similar system still exists anywhere?

Comment

https://twitter.com/NEUnion/status/1620429974481309697?t=AUQm0yJ2NhfpLrzWiTOoJQ&s=19

I'm not sure how many teachers there are in the UK but this seems rather large.

I've noticed one of my colleagues is in tomorrow teaching Y11 science, had to stop myself calling him a scab.

It's actually a planned INSET day so the kids would have been off anyway.

Comment

Doesn't seem that big a number to me. In 2021/22 there were 563,831 FTE teachers in total across the UK. And "educators" probably covers a broader range than just teachers. That seems like less than 10% of the workforce striking which surprises me. All year groups at my children's school are closed tomorrow apart from nursery.

Comment

It's 40,000 joining the union in the last two weeks rather than 40,000 union members in total (the NEU already had about half a million members)

Comment

Ah, ok, I misread it as 40,000 joining the strike, not 40,000 joining the union.

Comment

Gotcha.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post

I hadn't considered this, but since the end of check-off the CS wouldn't know who was a union member at all, obviously. I don't know if a similar system still exists anywhere?
                                Who is the CS?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Who is the CS?
                                  Civil Service, I'd have thought.
                                  Last edited by Capybara; 31-01-2023, 18:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                    I've noticed one of my colleagues is in tomorrow teaching Y11 science, had to stop myself calling him a scab.
                                    I know it's annoying, but I think restraint is the best option here.

Comment

Oh right, yeah, could be. I thought we were talking teachers. But any employer is in the same situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

I know it's annoying, but I think restraint is the best option here.
                                        I'd probably agree that calling a colleague scab might be a tactical error. Good idea to have a chat with them mind.

Comment

I'd probably agree that calling a colleague scab might be a tactical error. Good idea to have a chat with them mind.
                                          Yes, this.

Comment

Oh right, yeah, could be. I thought we were talking teachers. But any employer is in the same situation.
                                            The point sw2boro was making is that in the civil service union contributions used to be deducted through payroll, so HR would have known who was a union member and who wasn't. The government stopped this practice a few years ago to make it more of a faff to join a union so contributions are now paid directly to the union, but other employers might still be doing it this way

Comment

Right yeah, there's a lot less check-off than there was, all over the place. I think the PCS has won a few quid from various government departments over their ending it as workers had a contractual right to it.

But even if your employer is deducting money from you and passing it over to the union at your request, the employer doesn't know you're a member. And if they aren't, they don't know you aren't.

Comment

I support the strikes. I am, however, cursing the lack of trains tomorrow as I need to get to Cambridge for a hospital appointment for my son and it looks like it's going to either take me about four hours each way on buses with multiple changes, or cost about £150 in taxi fares.

Comment

My main beef though is with the decimation of public transport services. There used to be a direct coach from Hitchin to Cambridge which no longer seems to exist.

Comment

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1620410922249379841?s=20&t=35d-rLaXJRS3qTx_PMhYnA

Comment

Working...
                                                    X