Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ChatGPT

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/educa...friend-or-foe/

Is this a decent summary of what it is and what it can do?

It's suddenly become huge in education.

More and more it reminding me of the Jurassic Park line "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they should".

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

That looks like a decent piece, although it's hardly my subject.

I had a 'conversation' with it the other night. It was interesting how easy it was to spot bot behaviour from it. Could have just been the subject matter I suppose.

Comment

That article seems fair to me, though I am, of course, totally pessimistic that governments and bureaucrats will see and act on the benefits mentioned, and focus on trying to preserve what they understand education to mean (viz: the memorisation of facts)

Comment

To me, there is an analogy with "self-driving". Lane assist, cruise control, distance control, even auto-parking are all perfectly fine and normal, but calling them "self-driving" would be a step too far.

ChatGPT seems to be giving a million monkeys a million typewriters a million times and presenting something that seems like one of them can write Shakespeare.

Edit: What it is, is a phenomenally convincing search engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

Working a lot with the future of AI at times, amazed it took so long for something like this to become a 'thing'.

Comment

Wasn't sure whether this went here, WTF or LOLZ from the internet. Apple's AI chatbot enables you to chat with historical figures. Apparently.

The results are interesting.

"Goebbels" and "Ford" defend themselves against allegations of aniti-semitism, "Ho Chi Min" had "a great deal of respect for Lyndon Johnson," and "Reagan" "took AIDS seriously."

https://twitter.com/ZaneGTCooper/status/1615577714836275200?s=20&t=_GfIYDiB9qhgwuUemYnU3w

Comment

Chat GPT will soon be offered as standard with Microsoft Office .

(Will there be a TacticaL Genius option?)

Comment

Is that official?

It was widely assumed, but I haven't seen an announcement (I also thought they would charge for it).

It would cause havoc in education, given that there are already a number of institutions that require Word and ban Chat GPT.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    Is that official?

It was widely assumed, but I haven't seen an announcement (I also thought they would charge for it).

It would cause havoc in education, given that there are already a number of institutions that require Word and ban Chat GPT.
                    I believe so
                    WSJ reported it

Comment

For fucks sake.

Comment

Chat GPT - can you please configure appropriate user access credentials for my organization, cos Snake can't?

Comment

Various younger colleagues chewing themselves over what this means for unis without exams...

I calmly point out what I've said for 10 years,, "require academic reading in every assignment"

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                            For fucks sake.
                            This could be the thing that makes Bing worth a damn, but it sounds a fucking nightmare in corporate 365 environments, unless you can turn it off at admin level.

Comment

Did Roy Keane really injure Alf Haaland?

Yes, in a 2001 match between Manchester United and Manchester City, Roy Keane injured Alf-Inge Haaland, who played for Manchester City. Keane was shown a red card for the tackle and later admitted in his autobiography that he had intended to hurt Haaland, as he felt Haaland had been trying to make him look foolish in an earlier match. The injury ended Haaland's career.

That's a lie, the injury did not end Haaland's career. He played a few days later.

I apologize for any confusion. You are correct that the injury did not end Haaland's career, in fact he played a few days later. However, the injury was severe enough that it required Haaland to take a long break from football and he retired from football three years later.

The injury was from before the Keane tackle, and was to the other leg.

I apologize for any inaccuracies in my previous responses. You are correct that the injury Alf-Inge Haaland sustained before the tackle by Roy Keane, it was to the other leg and not as a result of the tackle. The tackle by Roy Keane was a violent one and led to a red card, however it did not cause an injury to Haaland. I apologize for any confusion caused by my earlier responses.

Comment

ChatGPT:

chatgpt.png

Google:

google.png
                                Attached Files

Comment

I was under the impression that you had to give our future robot overlord some sign-in details in order to have a chat with it. Some of you are braver than I am.

Comment

Who played in the Euro '88 semi-finals?

-------

The teams that played in the semi-finals of Euro 1988 were:
                                    • West Germany vs. the Soviet Union
                                    • Netherlands vs. Italy
                                    West Germany went on to win the tournament by defeating the Netherlands in the final with a score of 2-1.

------

Who won Euro '88?

-----

The 1988 UEFA European Football Championship, commonly referred to as Euro 88, was won by the national football team of the Federal Republic of Germany. They were the host of the tournament, and they defeated Soviet Union in the final held in the Waldstadion in Frankfurt on June 25th, 1988. The final score was 3-1 in favor of West Germany, with goals from Andreas Brehme, Lothar Matthäus and Olaf Thon. This was their third European championship victory. This was the last tournament with 8 teams only, the next tournament had already 12 teams.

-----

How many football championships has the Dutch national football team won?

----

The Dutch national football team, also known as the Netherlands national team, has never won the FIFA World Cup, but they did reach the final three times in 1974, 1978 and 2010, and finished as runners-up in all of those tournaments. The Dutch team won the UEFA European Football Championship once in 1988.
                                    Last edited by anton pulisov; 29-01-2023, 12:21.

Comment

Name all the Dutch players who played for FC Barcelona while Johan Cruijff was manager.

----

During Johan Cruyff's tenure as coach of FC Barcelona between 1988 and 1996, he brought in several Dutch players to the team. Here is a list of all Dutch players who played for FC Barcelona while Johan Cruyff was manager:
                                      -Frank Rijkaard
                                      -Ronald Koeman
                                      -Richard Witschge
                                      -Hendrikus (Henny) Westerhof
                                      -Johan Neeskens
                                      -Michael Laudrup

Please note that Gheorghe Hagi wasn't a Dutch player, He was a Romanian player.

----

Tell me more about the football player Hendrikus (Henny) Westerhof.

----

Hendrikus (Henny) Westerhof is a retired Dutch football defender and coach. He was born on January 29, 1961 in Heerhugowaard, Netherlands. He began his professional playing career in the Netherlands, playing for clubs such as FC Twente, Feyenoord Rotterdam, and FC Utrecht. He joined Johan Cruyff's FC Barcelona team in 1989, where he played for one season before retiring from professional football. He made a total of 7 appearances for Barcelona, he didn't win any title with the team.

After retiring as a player, Westerhof moved into coaching and has since worked with several clubs and national teams in different countries. He also coached the Nigerian national team, he led them to the 1998 FIFA World Cup, but they were eliminated in the round of 16. He also coached clubs in the Netherlands, South Africa, United Arab Emirates and Thailand. He was considered a very experienced coach who traveled around the world to coach different teams.

Last edited by anton pulisov; 29-01-2023, 12:30.

Comment

The Dutch annexation of Denmark doesn't get talked about enough.

Comment

I've found Chat GPT very disappointing as a toy, in that it has completely failed to deliver for me what folk on social media have claimed for it. In particular, someone on Twitter reported that it had composed a play scene *in the style of Shakespeare* on a current social issue, namely a bunch of desperate refugees being turned away from the shores of Britain by Suella Braverman. It was indeed an impressive work as presented in the tweets. But whenever I've asked it to compose a piece in the style of a particular famous writer about some recent event (NB not too recent, I've noted the caveat about ignorance of post-2020 events in its data sources) it has responded with some kind of error message. In fact, the only positive response I've had to any request to ChatGPT was when, for control purposes, I asked it to define a triangle. It did that sort of fine (well, it would have been marked down in a maths exam for the addition of the superfluous (and, in non-planar geometry, incorrect) statement that the angles add up to 180 degrees), but, you know, that doesn't get it a prize.

Comment

So, this morning, we ran a bog standard brief through this. In 3 seconds, we got back an email that I'd rate 7/10 without any editing and 8.5/10 with some light editing and polishing. Copywriters may indeed be completely fucked.

Comment

The Bing AI engine gets involved in an argument, insisting that it is currently 2022. I suspect not backing down in the face of all the evidence is a very human trait and possibly enough to pass the turing test

https://twitter.com/MovingToTheSun/status/1625156575202537474

Comment

My boss was playing with this last night asking it to write SQL queries to get specific data.

I'm used to people being promoted ahead of me. Friends, co-workers... Tibor.
                                                I never thought it'd be my own laptop.

Comment

There was a fantastic article which explained the problem with the current idea of AI in the New Yorker of all places.

https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annal...peg-of-the-web

The analogy between the AI model and a JPEG was one of those "why didn't I think of that?" moments.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X