measles outbreak and that Wakefield fraud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too much to hope that this guy will ever face criminal charges for the damage he has done, which is only now starting to show its true extent as the measles epidemic does its worst?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Wakefield

I think Ben Goldacre argued fairly convincingly that the real damage was done by the media coverage and presentation of the study, and I'm not sure how far Wakefield can be blamed for that. I get the impression that if he were in the dock, maybe some others should be as well. The wretched business was Private Eye's darkest hour as well, if I recall rightly.

Comment

My kids were born right in the middle of this (2001-03) and plenty of new, seemingly educated middle class parents around us in Hitchin were joining the "ooh, MMR, not sure, read about that in the Mail" brigade. I remember at the time saying in no uncertain terms I wasn't risking my children getting measles, mumps or rubella on the basis of such shite, they were vaccinated as expected. Sorry if that sounds smug, but FFS, any parents who decided to "chance" this must feel horrible now. Even at the time if you'd believed the "link to autism" nonsense it was like not putting car seatbelts on your children because a study had shown that in accidents 1 in 1,000 children wearing them suffered belt-related injuries.

Comment

I'm contemplating asking the parents of anyone Peanut is going to hang out with whether they've been vaccinated and if not, ban Peanut from knocking about with them.
        I'd be mortified if my kid caught measles from theirs or selfish fuckwittery from the parents.

Comment

Well, Rogin, you say that, but Wakefield's paper campe out in early '98, and while I recall some disquiet when my son (who would have been eighteen months at the time) was going for his jabs, the data was fucking IN by the turn of the millennium. There was no excuse for the likes of Wakefield, the Mail and Private Eye carrying on as they did.

And I'm not sure there was really any for your middle-class neighbours either. Their middle-classness ought to have meant some of them had some sort of fucking education, the dicks. In fact, the working class seem to have been much less ditsy about all this.

The fact that this is still going on, FIFTEEN YEARS down the line, makes me despair. Why don't we go the whole hog and start burning witches?

Comment

Wyatt Earp wrote: And I'm not sure there was really any for your middle-class neighbours either. Their middle-classness ought to have meant some of them had some sort of fucking education, the dicks. In fact, the working class seem to have been much less ditsy about all this.
            Possibly on grounds of cost. Most who were unfoundedly suspicious of MMR still wanted their kids vaccinated, but with three seperate shots for each disease.

Comment

VILE PRODUCT OF MEDIA UK

It treated its millions of readers like credulous thickos- generating thousands of extra copies sold and prevented a staggering amount of children from having the MMR jab.

Yesterday the Daily Mail remained shameless to the last.

The immoral, prurient, censorious shitrag which embodies everything that is wrong with the UK press business showed no remorse as it reported on long queues of worried parents in Swansea yesterday.

Together with a quack doctor and other tawdry chip wrappers, it plotted to deceive, worry and panic parents into making possibly life threatening, ill informed decisions in regards to their children’s health.

The deadly gamble was simply to sell more newspapers irregardless of the vast and overwhelming majority of medical advice which categorically stated MMR was safe.

As the cynical editorial board was found guilty, the entire medical community screamed “You immoral b*******, we knew it from day one.”

Incredibly, the Daily Mail was not being regularly monitored by a press commission at the time of the MMR scandal despite the dangerous bollocks and notorious lies the ‘news’ paper was spouting.

The depraved, sickening campaign included:

- Putting questions as headlines to which every answer is “Yes, of course MMR will give your child autism and kill them.”

- Putting lots of words in block bold to ensure that readers know exactly what to think.

- Linking MMR jabs to falling house prices and breast cancer.

- Exposing the fact that Maurice Hilleman, MMR developer was American and could therefore be a potential immigrant

But with typical shameless arrogance, Dacre’s Bugle, who infamously supported Fascism in the 1930’s reported the MMR queues with nary a glance at its printing past and that thousands of children lie at the mercy of measles, mumps and rubella due to the toilet paper’s campaign of terror against MMR.

Continued on pages 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 (between salivating over pictures of 16 year olds in bikinis), 10, 12, 17 18, 19………

Comment

**Applause**

Comment

The way in which the media and other outlets spread this lie including Juliet Stevenson is a disgrace. Could criminal charges be bought against Wakefield for manslaughter?

Sadly as a number of comments under this Guardian article prove the lie about MMR runs very deep

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2010/feb/05/private-eye-magazines?commentpage=4

Comment

Any website for the UK similar to what we have here for the USA?

http://www.jennymccarthybodycount.com/

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: My kids were born right in the middle of this (2001-03) and plenty of new, seemingly educated middle class parents around us in Hitchin were joining the "ooh, MMR, not sure, read about that in the Mail" brigade. I remember at the time saying in no uncertain terms I wasn't risking my children getting measles, mumps or rubella on the basis of such shite, they were vaccinated as expected.
                      It was similar for us. Also, the fact that my wife lost all hearing in her left ear following an attack of Rubella made her all the more determined to do the right thing.

Is it just me or have the Guardian comments pages become even more fucking wacko lately?

Comment

My dad (retired GP) stopped speaking to a woman in his church who refused to have her children immunised because she'd read some nonsense that it was harmful.

She was a very bright woman - Oxford graduate, very intense. And of course, knew much better than anyone who worked in the field of medicine.

I think Dad's reason for not talking to her was because he found it hard not to shout at her to not be so stupid.

I really hope her kids (who'll be teenagers now) don't get measles. They were nice kids.

The mum was also a home educator, because obviously, you couldn't trust teachers to teach your children.

Comment

Geoffrey, do you write for a living?

I got mumps in 2005. That was awful. Can I blame the Mail for that?

Comment

I was wondering who the class action litigation would be against? For example would it be against Wakefield and his public liability insurers/The MDU? Oddly, would they be able to cite in their defence that there was sufficient good science around to enable the reasonably prudent parent to decide that in fact the Wakefield paper was rubbish? Would they bring in the Daily Mail as a Third Party to the proceedings for contributing to the hysteria?

Comment

Incandenza wrote: Any website for the UK similar to what we have here for the USA?

http://www.jennymccarthybodycount.com/
                              One of the curious things about the US and UK anti-vaccination movements is that their ideas of causation bear no relation to one other.

In the US, tiny amounts of ethylmercury in the vaccine was the culprit, despite any supporting evidence. When this ingredient was removed, the anti-vaxxers turned to squalene (despite it being naturally present in the body and in food).

In the UK, meanwhile, everyone got in a lather about the triple vaccination as opposed to the single one.

Meanwhile, I believe the french believe the hepatitis vaccine causes brain damage.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Geoffrey, do you write for a living?

I got mumps in 2005. That was awful. Can I blame the Mail for that?
                                Kind of, a few things here and there but it's not my main source of alienation, sorry, job.

Comment

Digging this up as it kind of relates. Of all publications, the Hollywood Reporter has done the best and biggest reporting that I've seen of wealthy parents choosing to opt out of vaccinations and what it means for everyone else:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/los-angeles-vaccination-rates/

They also include a map of schools with their percentage of personal belief exemption filings (forms that parents submit instead of full vaccination records). At my oldest daughter's school, it's 16%, with 18% of students not having their MMR, and 17% not having DTaP. I suppose it's possible that those numbers might just show incomplete records, but it's still scary. And there are elite private schools where over 50% of all kids don't have their vaccines.

The number of PBEs being filed is scary. The region stretching from Malibu south to Marina del Rey and inland as far as La Cienega Boulevard (and including Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Brentwood, West Hollywood and Beverly Hills) averaged a 9.1 percent PBE level among preschoolers for the 2013-14 school year — a 26 percent jump from two years earlier. By comparison, L.A. County at large measured 2.2 percent in that period. Many preschools in this area spiked far higher, including Kabbalah Children’s Academy in Beverly Hills (57 percent) and the Waldorf Early Childhood Center in Santa Monica (68 percent). According to World Health Organization data, such numbers are in line with immunization rates in developing countries like Chad and South Sudan.
                                  Here's a chart of whooping cough cases in California:

Comment

So the Cough's doing better than the Crane?

Comment

Jenny McCarthy should be beaten to death with a sharps-disposal bin for her good works on the vacc front.

Comment

Well done Andrew Wakefield.

Well done Paul Dacre.

Well done Ian Hislop.

Well done Heather Mills.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-47940710

Comment

Oh yeah, Hislop played a similar role with Wakefield as Andrew Fuckin Neil did with that Wank that claimed HIV and AIDS weren't linked/HIV was mostly harmless and had been around for centuries, had forgotten that. a crime even worse than the "funny pages" in Private Eye. Well fuckin done ya smug fetus head wee boarding school cunt.

Comment

He's back, he's angry...

Comment

Moi? Feckin chill I am

Comment

How did I so badly misread the signs!

Comment

Health emergency in New York:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47872952

Comment

Working...
                                                  X