X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Side hustles”? Moi?

Comment

Oui, toi.

I've read some of the portions available on Google Books. It is good.

Comment

FCA study on UK consumers and crypto

Gotta love this guy:
        Kyle lives in Manchester where he is studying modern history with economics at university. Kyle “partied hard for a few years” but now runs the volleyball team and has stopped smoking cannabis, which has allowed him to have enough money to purchase cryptoassets. Before studying, Kyle worked as a broker in binary options. After graduating he hopes to work in either recruitment or sales.
        Kyle dealt with cryptoassets when he was 16 to purchase illegal drugs online, but it was “only when I was 20 or 21 when I saw it as an investment”. Kyle bought £1,100 worth of Bitcoin, Ripple, Tron, Excelen, Appcoin and Elastos with his student loan in January 2018. His purchase was made “at the worst possible time” by his own admission, as the value of Bitcoin plummeted just a few weeks later.

Comment

Oh, man.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/jakeadelstein/status/1107339075810258945?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Of course he is

Comment

SEC publishes framework for assessing whether a token is a security.

Also, a no-action letter saying TurnKey Jet's private token isn't a security. No, I haven't heard of them either.

Comment

This is possibly the funniest crypto story I've ever read.

Comment

Kind of amazed there's no Alphaville post on this yet. Izzy must still be on holiday.

Comment

Are we able to agree it was a bubble now? I am rather amazed how many people I considered to be relatively smart got hooked in during 2017.

Comment

I thought we agreed it was a bubble back in 2017.

Comment

Yeah - I was more thinking rather than on here, the wider world including the HODLers.

Comment

Here she is.

Comment

Alphaville? I can't see it behind the paywall, but I bet it's big in Japan.

Comment

It isn't a paywall - it is a free login with google.

Comment

No need to Google. Just register.

Comment

If you can't be bothered to register, Amy Castor (who has been great on Quadriga) has a good summary here.

Comment

David Gerard's timeline is pretty fun right now too, as you can probably imagine.

Comment

dglh's "wider world" is pretty goddamn narrow.

It just so happens to be one that several of us inhabit.

Comment

India contemplates crypto ban

Comment

Tether is backed 1:1: by USD! Or maybe 0.74:1.
                                            Neither the updated disclosure nor the line of credit transaction itself hasimpeded Tether’s ability to process redemptions. As of the date I am signing this affidavit,Tether has cash and cash equivalents (short term securities) on hand totaling approximately$2.1 billion, representing approximately 74 percent of the current outstanding tethers
                                            This is particularly fun:

Beyond Tether’s cash on hand, additional reserves are available, though inless liquid form. That Tether does not now keep liquid, cash reserves equal to 100 percentof the outstanding tethers is not only disclosed to customers, but hardly a novel concept.Commercial banks operate under a “fractional reserve” system whereby they keep cash on hand representing only a small fraction of customer deposits, deploying the rest viainvestments. According to the Federal Reserve website, the banks must keep cash reservesrepresenting, at most, only 10 percent of their liabilities. (Ex. G, at 1.) Tether’s cash is farmore than that, and the company has never lacked the funds to process a redemption
                                            Wasn't the whole point of crypto, and stablecoins in particular, to get rid of fractional reserve banking?
                                            Last edited by Ginger Yellow; 01-05-2019, 09:51.

Comment

Binance hacked and 7,000 bitcoin stolen.

Comment

So Tether was backed 100% by US dollars. And loans. And, um, bitcoin.

Comment

Not a bad investment these days.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X