Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now down over 15% on the day. The day.

Comment

Down to $4.2k today, and ETH down with it. Got to figure that even the few legit ICOs that launched when it was $15k+ are now fucked unless they managed to cash out immediately.

Comment

https://twitter.com/reutersbiz/status/1068258098257805312?s=21

Comment

Would be awful if similar happened to Michelle Mone and Steve Wozniak.

Comment

Not to mention Grant Shapps.

Comment

https://twitter.com/dkthomp/status/1069269708225036288?s=21

Comment

The Rolls Buildings, Court 1

Before HIS HONOUR JUDGE HACON sitting as a Judge of the High Court

Tuesday 4 December 2018

At 02:00 PM

CMC

IP-2018-000071 Litecoin Foundation Ltd v Inshallah Limited and others
                Cryptocurrencies will lead us to a nirvana of decentralised, trustless economies. But first, I want my trademark because Litecoin is mine!

Comment

Given it peaked at $350, and is currently trading at less than a tenth of that, "Shitecoin" might be more appropriate.

I know, that was pretty clever. You can all say it and pretend you made it up.
                  Last edited by Lurgee; 03-12-2018, 17:34. Reason: "Getting the words right." - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I'd be kind of amazed if there wasn't already a Shitecoin jokecoin

Comment

I would be appalled if - given the number of clever people on the interwebs - I was the first one to have thought of it.

Comment

Yup.

Comment

Hmm. I’m reluctant to put details on a public forum, but as I’ve just started work on a 6 month contract for a Blockchain start-up .. it’s early days. I’m funded so can be quite relaxed about it (and I’m learning loads of useful transferable skills), but I have faith anyway as the boss is a genius, and the use of blockchain in this particular project seems workable and worthwhile. We will see.

Comment

We are just about ready for Blockchain 2.0

Or, as one could say le Blockchain Nouveau est arrivée!

I had somehow missed that the new role was remote. That’s a big change.

Comment

I don't know if this belongs on this thread, the WTF thread or the longform journalism thread...

... but here's a very entertaining article by Laurie Penny on a crypto-currency cruise in the Med

"John McAfee has never been convicted of rape and murder, but—crucially—not in the same way that you or I have never been convicted of rape or murder."
                              Last edited by San Bernardhinault; 07-12-2018, 00:02.

Comment

Funnily enough, I was reading the Milo news and wondering what happened to her. Still stuck up her own arse, I see.

Comment

“No amount of coercion,” he said, “can solve a math problem.”

Comment

Crypto firm in lax money laundering controls shock.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                      Indeed. Or like how they get the password off the Russian guy's keyboard in Sneakers.

A film ahead of its time.

Comment

DHS is committing to blockchaining wall quickly. We are not replacing short, outdated and fiat wall with similar wall.

DAVIDSON: Well, I've offered a modest compromise called Buy a Brick, Build a Wall (ph) that we introduced, which lets the American people, or whomever should choose to donate - Mexicans or otherwise - to donate to the program.

INKSEEP: You mean like this highway is adopted by a certain organization? You could buy a part of the wall?

DAVIDSON: Sort of. You could do with this sort of, like, crowdfunding site. Or you could even do blockchain, and you could have wall coins. But you could raise the money. And frankly, if we get it right at the Treasury, you could even accept Mexican pesos.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                          I don't know if this belongs on this thread, the WTF thread or the longform journalism thread...

... but here's a very entertaining article by Laurie Penny on a crypto-currency cruise in the Med

"John McAfee has never been convicted of rape and murder, but—crucially—not in the same way that you or I have never been convicted of rape or murder."
                                          Wow.

I'm working in the sleazy world of crypto, it seems.

I've noticed lately quite a few people (strangers) talking loudly on the train about CRYPTO the same way people used to show off about CYBER 25 years or so ago, apparently under the illusion that no-one will understand, but everyone will be impressed.

This has probably been going on for a while, but I wasn't tuning in to it.
                                          Last edited by MsD; 14-12-2018, 19:04.

Comment

I know this guy.

Comment

https://twitter.com/tracyalloway/status/1074463531011981312

Comment

Slightly old news now, but here's HMRC on the tax treatment of bitcoin and other "exchange tokens".

In the vast majority of cases, individuals hold cryptoassets as a personal investment, usually for capital appreciation in its value or to make particular purchases. They will be liable to pay Capital Gains Tax when they dispose of their cryptoassets.

Individuals will be liable to pay Income Tax and National Insurance contributions on cryptoassets which they receive from:

their employer as a form of non-cash payment
                                                mining, transaction confirmation or airdrops
                                                As set out in more detail below, there may be cases where the individual is running a business which is carrying on a financial trade in cryptoassets and will therefore have taxable trading profits. This is likely to be unusual, but in such cases Income Tax would take priority over the Capital Gains Tax rules. HMRC will publish separate information for businesses in due course.

HMRC does not consider the buying and selling of cryptoassets to be the same as gambling.
                                                Fun reading for all the people who got suckered into buying/mining crypto during the boom.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                                  Slightly old news now, but here's HMRC on the tax treatment of bitcoin and other "exchange tokens".

Fun reading for all the people who got suckered into buying/mining crypto during the boom.
                                                  As capital gains tax has been reduced and reduced by successive capital loving governments to about a third of the rate of income tax, though, that's actually good news.

Comment

Not really, given that in my experience most casual crypto people don't even think about the possibility of CGT, especially in the context of locking in capital gains by exchanging bitcoin for other currencies, including other tokens. There are lots of people who will have lost a lot of real money over the course of the last two years, and yet who have large CGT liabilities from switching between tokens on the upswing. And for those that are not casual:
                                                    If it is considered to be trading then Income Tax will take priority over Capital Gains Tax and will apply to profits (or losses) as it would be considered as a business.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X