No announcement yet.

Bitcoin and NFTs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchasing Bitcoin should never be mistaken for investing. It's, at best speculating or betting.

Comment

I must say I'm surprised that WOM has never heard of early 90's Crystal Palace shirt sponsors Tulip Computers.

Comment

Originally posted by N est à? View Post

Work with me here guys? Anyone?
        You had a go and I respect you for trying.

Comment

Looks as if investing in Tulip Computers would eventually have turned out as successful as getting sucked into the tulip bubble.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_Computers

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
            Purchasing Bitcoin should never be mistaken for investing. It's, at best speculating or betting.
            Yep, like investing in the housing market.

Comment

Amazon are selling coins that say "Bitcoin" on them. I am tempted...

Comment

Looks like they've been beaten to it, G

https://mobile.twitter.com/RonHogan/...25449716396032

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                  Looks like they've been beaten to it, G

https://mobile.twitter.com/RonHogan/...25449716396032
                  Though in the comments below it quickly becomes clear that that story is a parody from a satire site. Maybe that is where Amazon got the idea?

Comment

Somebody must be making them, so that websites can put up stock photos of them for their articles about bitcoin.

Comment

Much more understandable to think that story is real, than to think it's funny.

Comment

I'll just leave this here https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th..._share_twitter

Comment

One week ago:

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                          This sort of shit is the clearest evidence it's all an insane bubble. And even this 200% blockchain bump is pretty modest by the standards of these things (of which there are depressingly many). If you just say you're transitioning your boring, crappy company into an exciting, crappy blockchain company, you're pretty much guaranteed to triple your stock price. Even if it would by definition require you to pay an inflated price to acquire said blockchain exploiting capacity.
                          Today:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...chain-to-name/

Comment

And another one.

On-line, a company whose only income comes from a minority shareholding in ADVFN and services provided to it, and made a net profit of GBP 18,000 in FY 2017, added "Blockchain" to its name in December. Its share price is up around 50% in January. It says it is making a cryptocurrency to allow people to "purchase social media items" on ADVFN.

Comment

The other day I made a joke about how the Black Mirror episode Hang The DJ is basically about sex via smart contracts. Yesterday, Matt Levine discovered that sex via smart contracts is actually a thing.

Comment

Jacob Wohl's back, and guess what he's doing!

Comment

The ice tea saga continues.

The former Long Island Iced Tea Corp. on Tuesday announced that it had a letter-of-intent to merge with Stater Blockchain Ltd., a U.K.-based company “focused on developing and deploying globally scalable blockchain technology solutions in the financial markets.”
                                  Stater Blockchain (actually an NZ holding company of a UK company) is of course another one that changed its name in December and had no previous blockchain business. Amusingly, the operating company (an FX and derivatives broker), boasts on its website that it has no proprietary IT team or software.

Comment

Newsnight explaining Bitcoin didn’t properly focus on the existing downsides at all (like getting your bloody money out) and glossed over that it’s already a ponzi for total fucking fannies, if that’s where you’re putting your money tomorrow. Public Service Broadcasting.
                                    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 23-01-2018, 23:15.

Comment

Nice to see Arsenal taking a strong, responsible stance on both crypto and gambling.

I'm also intrigued by the fact that 15% of the ICO's proceeds are going to be used for unspecified "debt restructuring". That seems like a first.

I'm also intrigued by the company holding itself out as being based in Oakland when it's clearly based in the Channel Islands.

Comment

Comment

Ah, the Arsenal way, those marble halls, the Hill-Woods and noblesse oblige, ah wingco thou shouldst be living at this hour

Comment

Not that wingco is dead or anything, I should add

Comment

He is to us these days...

Comment

Oops

On Friday evening in Japan, one of the biggest virtual currency exchanges in Asia, Coincheck, announced that it had lost 58 billion units of the cryptocurrency NEM, worth roughly $530 million dollars, which may well be the biggest cryptocurrency heist in history.
                                                n layman’s terms, it would be like a convenience store in a bad neighborhood keeping $50,000 in large bills in the cash register, rather than periodically depositing the money in a bank vault off the premises.

Comment

Not suspicious at all

Comment

The cryptocurrency themed Japanese girl group, the Virtual Currency Girls, must have strong a claim to break out onto the WTF thread,

Comment

Working...
                                                    X