No announcement yet.

Mastodon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kiwi Farms, formerly known as CWCki Forums (/ˈkwɪki/ KWIH-kee), is an Internet forum that facilitates the discussion and harassment of online figures and communities. Their targets are often subject to organized group trolling and stalking, as well as doxxing and real-life harassment.[2][3][4] These actions have tied Kiwi Farms to the suicides of three people targeted by members of the forum.[15]

Comment

Oh God.
      How could something so awful have such a pleasant name?

Comment

https://www.cjr.org/analysis/journal...ot-into-it.php

An article about that story

Comment

I've finally signed up ( @pallasathena@vivaldi.net ) because Vivaldi made it easy to do, although I am a bit worried my Mastadon account is now linked to my browser account. But it's a step. And I think a necessary one, Twitter might not fall over but it's not a place to be.

Even if I still think this...
          https://twitter.com/TygerbugGarrett/status/1594397156621680641?s=20&t=9wlbmeoC0Lp_Nutz5X0i4Q

Comment

You can move servers away from Vivaldi - you lose your posts, but can export and import your followers.

I've gone almost cold turkey on Twitter - checking in on the club hashtag every couple of days. I feel a lot better mentally for not being sat in front of the anger firehose.

Comment

The quality of the adverts on Twitter has fallen off a cliff

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                I've gone almost cold turkey on Twitter - checking in on the club hashtag every couple of days. I feel a lot better mentally for not being sat in front of the anger firehose.
                I was basically doing that too, but obviously the #ycfc hashtag hasn't exactly been all 'kumbaya' in recent weeks, so I'm increasingly not even looking at that either.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  I read that Apple pulling its advertising was $48m, which is peanuts for them but 4% of Twitter's revenue. I wonder what consideration of the reaction of an openly gay CEO with deep pockets Musk gave before unblocking the far-right hate machine.

Comment

My favourite thing so far is how in the Mastodon app, toots take up the full width of the screen with the avatar in the header of the toot. Unlike Twitter, which reserves a column on the left solely for avatars (and ads, who get to be full width)

Comment

Has anyone got it to work yet?

(e.g. search for usernames / people / IDs to follow?)

Comment

It sounds too much like hard work, to me. If anyone ever comes up with a simple and short set of instructions to make it work well, I might have a go. Otherwise nahh.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                          It sounds too much like hard work, to me. If anyone ever comes up with a simple and short set of instructions to make it work well, I might have a go. Otherwise nahh.
                          This

Can you include me in when the "Dummies Guide" is produced

And I mean a dummies guide which says,

- create and confirm userid

- search for other users either based on published name or confirmed Id via alternative channel

- click follow

- that's it!

Comment

The hardest part is finding a server and getting the account setup. Once I got over that it's been pretty much like Twitter.

There is a tool that looks at your twitter follows and checks their profiles for mastodon links and allows you to download a file to upload to Mastodon. I don't know if that's still going to be working after last night though.

This is the tool, it also shows you what instances the people you follow on Twitter are using and if they have open registration

Comment

So how do you make it work?

i.e Search for people to follow?

There is, for example, no "search" icon

Comment

It is manifestly not made for you

Comment

Have they lost the chumbox stuff? That would be an incredible turn of events.

Comment

No, it has become more chumboxy

Comment

BTW Mastodon Search

Desktop: Upper left corner of home page
                                      Android: Magnifying Glass icon at bottom of home page
                                      Apple: Magnifying Glass icon on left edge of home page

Comment

No, it has become more chumboxy
                                        I was going to say, when taboola won't give you money for adverts you might as well shut up shop.

Comment

The hardest part is finding a server and getting the account setup. Once I got over that it's been pretty much like Twitter.
                                          A mention of setting up a server would usually reduce me to rocking back and forth in the corner, but the total time it took me to get Mastodon running was probably five minutes max.

So far, it's not perfect, but I'm glad I didn't let a tiny amount of set up time discourage me.

Comment

I'm ukplissken on mastondon.org.uk - it's a good server, but I'm not sure whether it is currently open for signups.

Comment

I'm enjoying mstdn.social as a server. It is pretty big numbers wise, but mostly seem decent, and the admin seems well on top of things. As I posted up thread, I had been thinking of switching to another server more specific to my interests once it all settled down a bit, but actually I'm quite enjoying the one I'm on so will probably end up just staying there. The FediAct browser extension is also really handy – means you can go on the site of a different server and interact without having to faff around with multiple logins.

In general, for help and guidance, I've found following the person who does the https://fedi.tips/ website really useful.

Comment

mastodon.org.uk is open for signups again. Small community, but the local feed seems friendly enough.

toot.wales seems to be a thriving community of Cymru-based people.
                                                Last edited by Snake Plissken; 19-12-2022, 11:36.

Comment

This is a neat idea for until organisations move to Mastodon.

It's over subscribed, but it creates a bot that mirrors a twitter account

It's designed for information accounts, like those US weather warning Twitter feeds.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X