Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Braverman. So long, and thanks for all the fash.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Braverman. So long, and thanks for all the fash.

She merits her own thread.

Even by this government's standards, this is monstrous. The source is also notable, as The Times is not known for its concern about human rights, the rule of law or any of that decadent stuff. And neither is its proprietor. Question is, is this enough to bring her down, and can enough of it stick to Sunak to imperil him as well?

https://twitter.com/BennnyH/status/1586447153643155456

I agree she needs her own thread. Depressingly, if she is forced to leave, it will only be for the leaking (which of course would justify her sacking on its own) not for being a lying, law-breaking, human rights destroying, utterly malevolent and repulsive fascist.

Comment

What is it about becoming Home Secretary that turns people into fucking nazis?

Comment

On this occasion the nazism preceded becoming Home Secretary. But the Home Office does need to be abolished.

Comment

It doesn’t usually do so to this extent Rogin, she’s in a class of her own.

Comment

I don't know, even all the Labour ones under Blair/Brown seemed to be the nastiest member of the cabinet at any given time.

Comment

Home Secretaries are installed to appease the "send 'em back, close the borders" gammon and war fetishists who have no empathy toward anyone who isn't white English.
              They can do pretty much anything they want to immigrants and asylum seekers knowing that a sizeable and vocal section of society, whipped up by a racist media, will bang the drum for it.

Comment

Very much so.

The awful truth is that the cruel, racist policies are genuinely popular, in stark contrast to the libertarian fantasies from Tufton Street or the clientalism on fracking and regulation.

And they are a primary reason why a lot of Tory voters are willing to put up with the other crap.

Comment

I said the same thing about Priti Heinous, but it amazes me that a woman like Braverman thinks that giving the nodding dog racists what they want will have no impact on her. "Oh, they won't ever come for me."

Yeah, love, they will.

Comment

And this is a direct result of those gruesome policies and racist dogwhistling.

Comment

Hugely racist thread by Robert peston
                      https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1587022185633284096?s=20&t=6IwB3uECXDX7vrSvCPdatA

Note "overwhelmed by" not "overwhelmed with"

Comment

From the thread:

"The second massive political headache for Sunak and Braverman is the cost of putting asylum seekers in hotels. This costs circa £150 a night."

Is this really the case?

Comment

That would be a plausible figure. In fact, I'd have probably expected it to be slightly higher.

Comment

From the BBC:

The UK's immigration system is broken and people seeking asylum should be housed on a cruise liner, a former chief immigration officer for the UK Border Force says.

Kevin Saunders tells the BBC he would "put a cruise liner in the middle of the Channel" on which to place all migrants who cross the sea from France.

A cruise liner would have "proper facilities and everything that would be needed" to house asylum seekers, he adds.

Saunders says it would be best to anchor that ship in international waters "so they can't claim asylum" as the vessel would not be in the UK.

However, there are no international waters in the Dover Strait between the UK and France, only a dividing line between UK and French waters with a “no sailing zone” between the shipping lanes.

Comment

The Speak Yer Branes takeover of the government continues apace

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                That would be a plausible figure. In fact, I'd have probably expected it to be slightly higher.
                                Really? For a room? I'm sure there are cheaper options (and of course I'm not suggesting that immigrants deserve shit, quite the reverse).

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                  A cruise liner would have "proper facilities and everything that would be needed" to house asylum seekers, he adds.

Saunders says it would be best to anchor that ship in international waters "so they can't claim asylum" as the vessel would not be in the UK.
                                  Yes, it's important to ensure that asylum seekers can't claim asylum. Fuck's sake.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Really? For a room? I'm sure there are cheaper options (and of course I'm not suggesting that immigrants deserve shit, quite the reverse).
                                    They need to be fed too. And of course because the government treats them as criminals, there has to be some kind of security too

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                      From the BBC:

The UK's immigration system is broken and people seeking asylum should be housed on a cruise liner, a former chief immigration officer for the UK Border Force says.

Kevin Saunders tells the BBC he would "put a cruise liner in the middle of the Channel" on which to place all migrants who cross the sea from France.

However, there are no international waters in the Dover Strait between the UK and France, only a dividing line between UK and French waters with a “no sailing zone” between the shipping lanes.

“Hi. ’m a racist . Can I come in and talk to the BBC ?”

“sure- just checking that you don’t eat tofu. If you are a climate change denier we can probably get you a slot on question time.”

Comment

Yeah, hotel rooms in the UK are basically £100 a night upwards. And some hotels won't take asylum seekers for a variety of reasons - most significantly that the local authorities tend to be very slow at paying for them. My knowledge is based around attempts to house refugees in Shropshire rather than asylum seekers in Kent, but I'd expect the issues to be similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                          , hotel rooms in the UK are basically £100 a night upwards
                                          I'm not trying to be contrary but I picked Sheffield at random and found these options:

https://www.booking.com/searchresult...ue&order=price

Comment

One of our local hotels - a big Best Western place - has been housing asylum seekers for about 6 months now. In fact I think it stopped taking any hotel bookings (it used to be quite a popular wedding and business conference venue) to concentrate on the former. They used to charge about £60 a night for rooms. I think the idea is that having had the chance to look around Leyland, asylum seekers are begging to go anywhere else.
                                            Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 31-10-2022, 13:21.

Comment

The hotel around the corner has quite a few. I rather suspect it is a nice little earner considering the chain frequently found itself coming bottom in the "worst in Manchester" surveys

My quite racist father-in-law is blaming them for everything he doesn't like in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                                I'm not trying to be contrary but I picked Sheffield at random and found these options:
                                                The higher prices at weekends will push the average higher than what you're seeing for a Monday night, and that's before hotels charge the premium that they know they can for this type of emergency accommodation.

Comment

Pretty much every hotel in connemara is just housing ukrainian refugees. They're getting a decent whack of cash, because they have to house and feed them, and they have to effectively shut down as a hotel. This whole issue only really arises because most countries haven't built a council house since around 1980

Comment

Working...
                                                  X