He ain't heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He ain't heavy

My brother Patrick died early yesterday morning. It wasn't a particular surprise; he'd been in hospital for most of the time since our sister found him collapsed in his room at the end of July. The folk at the hospital in Carlisle where he was taken managed to keep him alive then, despite not expecting him to live then. I saw him a few times as he moved from the ITU to an ordinary ward, but not since then. He was released to my other sister's care shortly after I'd left the area, but we all thought that it was too soon.

That proved to be the case, so he was back in Carlisle within a week in an ordinary ward. About three weeks ago, he was transfered to a lockdown ward, where he, unsurprisingly, caught covid. He wasn't allowed visitors, so the last three weeks of his life he saw no-one that he knew. He died alone early on Sunday morning. Carlisle hospital still haven't given us any information as to what he died of, but it's probably the massive organ failure that they were expecting him to die of a couple of months ago.

That's not the problem, it's the fact that he was alone for so long is what's eating us all up.

A terrible situation for you. So sorry for your loss.

Comment

I'm so sorry, T. That's an awful situation all around.

Comment

Really sorry for your loss, go. I can also empathise as Patrick's last few weeks sounds quite similar to my dad's.

Comment

I'm so sorry.

Comment

That's just awful.

Thoughts very much with you.

Comment

So sorry to read that, GO.

Comment

So sorry for your loss GO, there are no words

Comment

My sincere condolences, mate.

Even if he didn't see his family towards the end I'm sure that the hospital staff were lovely and he would have passed away in the knowledge that you loved and cared for him but were simply unable to be with him at that time.

Comment

Thinking of you and your family, GO.

Comment

I'm deeply saddened to hear this, GO. When we met for the 'thon at the weekend I had no inkling of the heartache you must have been carrying over Patrick's condition and enforced isolation.

No doubt you know that you can sound off on here as much as you like, and I hope you can derive some support and solace from the OTF community.

Comment

My sympathies GO.

Comment

Jesus, sorry for your loss GO

Comment

Sincere condolences GO. Very unfortunate and extremely sad circumstances for Patrick and for your family. It must have been horrible for Patrick not to be able to see family and vice versa. Hopefully as Nocturnal has said the hospital staff were able to provide him with some comfort. when covid was bad and no visitors were allowed, I know of a few doctors at the hospital here who sat for hours with very sick patients (who weren’t under thei care) just so that the patients would have some company and hopefully some comfort in their final days.

Comment

Thoughts with you, GO.

Comment

I'm very sorry GO.

Comment

That is just not the way it should be. Not now, two years into a pandemic. Very sorry for your loss.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your loss, GO.

I was at a funeral service yesterday for the granddad of one of the kids on my son's cricket team. It was well attended and we were just saying that thankfully with the worst of the pandemic behind us, we can have these gatherings but how dreadful it must have been for many families when loved ones were dying on their own. Very sad to hear that it's still happening for some families and as noted above, I do hope that some of the doctors and/or nurses kept your brother company in his final moments.

Comment

Really sorry to hear this GO.

Comment

That’s a horrible way to lose someone. So sorry for your loss, GO.

Comment

So sorry GO. He was loved and knew it.

Comment

My condolences for your loss, GO.

Comment

Very sorry for your loss, GO, and the cruel circumstances.

Comment

Sorry for your loss, GO. We had similar with my uncle due to lockdown. It's really sad not being able to say goodbye.

Wishing you all the best for the next few weeks, arranging the memorial and such.

Comment

Sincere condolences, GO.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X