England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
    You wear shorts around the house all year long? There's maybe 3 weeks of the year where it's warm enough for me to find shorts comfortable
    The only time I don't wear shorts is if I'm out of an evening (and it's not summer) or if it's below about 2 or 3C.
    If I have to go to the shops or pick the cub up from school I'll still be wearing shorts unless there's frost on the ground, basically.

Comment

I'm another wear jeans around the house type, unless it's unusually hot. As they're comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
        I'll sit around wearing sweat pants if I'm cold or ill, but I'd feel like a hobo taking down the wheelie bins in them. I would literally never go anywhere 'public' in them.
        You get dressed up to take the bins out?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          Capri-length trousers were popular among males of the Mallorca set while we lived in Frankfurt
          How long is a Capri?

Comment

The 1978 model was about 4 metres.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

You get dressed up to take the bins out?
              Depends what 'up' means. Not track pants / sweats, for sure.

Comment

How long is a Capri?
                Mid-calf, give or take a few cm

Comment

Well, I mean, changing up, I suppose. So you're sitting around in your "sweatpants", and the bin needs taking out, so you go and change first?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

Mid-calf, give or take a few cm
                    That sounds long, for shorts.

Comment

They aren't shorts.

They look much more ridiculous than shorts on affluent German men with artificial tans and improbable hair colour

Comment

They look ridiculous on anyone, and affluent German men with artificial tans and improbably hair colour look ridiculous wearing anything, and the clothes that affluent German men with artificial tans and improbably hair colour choose (chose?) to wear were always ricidulous.

Comment

They didn't look ridiculous on Mary Tyler Moore

Comment

Seriously? Where the fuck are you taking your bins? From shed 27b to the end of the drive? Or to Justin Trudeau's front room?

Changing your kecks to take the bins out. Fucking hell.

Comment

Well, I mean, changing up, I suppose. So you're sitting around in your "sweatpants", and the bin needs taking out, so you go and change first?
                              No, the bins are the exception. Even then, I furtively look up and down the street as if I'm naked. But if I have to go for milk, I change. Or if a kid phones and needs picking up, I change.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                The 1978 model was about 4 metres.
                                Very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post

I take it you're assuming that somebody who doesn't know what hurling is wouldn't know about shinty either given that the quickest description is that it's exactly like shinty. BBC Alba show a lot of games and it's very watchable but I have no idea how any of the players still have all their own teeth
                                  I just had to look up shinty, because i've never seen it.

This

Is not really the same as this

Shinty looks a lot like the early form of hurling. I suspect they were very similar to each other when the sports were established, in the white hot heat of Victorians codifying sport. Hurling just seems to have taken off quite a bit more, and has changed a lot over the years now, to the point where at an elite level, it's played by giant ultra athletes, who can unerringly slam a ball over the bar from 100 metres, while running away from the goal. Some of this looks like magic to me, and I've been watching this sport for a very long time.

This is what gaelic football looks like, or a bunch of scores from this year's all ireland final. Again it is played at elite level by giant ultra athletes. It's become an incredibly tactical and details focussed, possession base game over the last 20 years, It's kind of difficult to believe. It's way more interesting to watch than rugby, and the Ulster Football Championship is like Game of Thrones crossed with the Russian invasion of Ukraine. The Real UFC, and it's fascinating in ways that have little to do with the beauty of the game.

Comment

Shinty looks like what happens when a kid at a Dutch school who spent every minute of every summer in Cork is asked to play field hockey during PE class.

The teacher took the hockey stick off me after five minutes and shouted at me that I was a danger to everyone.

Stupid sport. I'm not even allowed to be left-handed in it, ffs.
                                    Last edited by anton pulisov; 05-10-2022, 22:31.

Comment

There was a cross-code international thing with shinty and hurling a wee(ish) while ago.

Comment

As I recall from the seventies, the shinty-hurling match-ups were very one-sided. Not in Scotland's favour...

Comment

No, the bins are the exception. Even then, I furtively look up and down the street as if I'm naked. But if I have to go for milk, I change. Or if a kid phones and needs picking up, I change.
                                          Funny old world innit? Won't go out in trackies, will go out in those shirts...

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                            WRT studenting away from home, today is the 30th anniversary of me moving to Southampton to study. After getting over the initial grumpiness of moving in day clashing with the Brentford Newcastle game, and finding out that Southampton didn't have a beach (a large part of my reason for choosing to come here in the first place, alongside the 13:1 female to male ratio at the college) I found out that I absolutely loved the place, and would now never dream of moving anywhere else.
                                            Getting on for 30 years since I decamped to study Law at Southampton myself. Why?

Me: I think a Law degree might be good.

Careers Master: Southampton has a good Law faculty.

Me: OK.

Fucking hated the degree. Loved the social life. I'm now a partner in my firm, with the thick end of two decades of being a law talking guy behind me, so perhaps he was right and I just needed to get in front of people as clients rather than suffer the dreary book stuff.

As for shorts in cold climates, report for sartorial re-education, you absolute freaks. Unless you're actually playing sport.

Comment

Our three sons all went to Uni/TAFE while living at home. Our relationships are excellent. It is a significant cultural difference from the UK, where everyone else's offspring decamped for tertiary education.

Comment

My choices of potential university locations was to a great extent based on distance away from home, further being better. There wasn't one close enough that I could have lived full time at home without a long commute, anyway.

Comment

This is obviously more of an issue in the US rather than Europe, but I always felt that there were advantages as an undergraduate to being far enough away that a train, bus or car trip of three to eight hours was feasible and that one was not reliant on a plane.

It so happens that NYC has a huge number and variety of institutions within that radius.

Comment

In the UK most universities felt like they were in that sweet spot of "close enough that you could go home for a weekend" but also "far enough away that you wouldn't go home most weekends", which is also "far enough away that your parents probably won't visit and certainly won't visit on a whim". Obviously for me it was a 4 hour train journey, not a 4 hour drive, but basically the same principle.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X