Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hate it when vegetables try to be too cutesy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate it when vegetables try to be too cutesy.

On our kitchen counter we have a package of very small tomatoes called "Sprinkles - teeny, tiny tomatoes" and a package of very small cucumbers called "Qukes - teeny, tiny cucumbers".

Eugh.

Thankfully we have hot peppers growing out back called Carolina Reapers, which is a fabulously threatening name.

But you still bought them - so you’re directly funding this whole sorry charade.

I hope you can sleep at night.

Comment

That might depend on how many Carolina Reapers WOM included in his dinner.

Comment

What you need is gangster fruit. Bloods vs Cripps.

20221001_094028.jpg20221001_094018.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
          But you still bought them.
          I was thinking that. I assume WOM wasn't blindfolded when he went shopping, so - particularly given his line of work - he must have known that something smaller than "baby <whatever>" was bound to have a preposterous name.

And if it was his wife who bought them, then it's his own fault for making his wife do his shopping for him. It's the 21st century, for crying out loud.

Comment

When did satsumas and clementines get rebranded as “easy peelers”?

Comment

More broadly, I refuse to recognise the term “veggies”. We don’t talk about proteinees or carbos. I hope.

Comment

Cook some sprouts in nutmeg and a few chili grains. The pub will love 'em, and they'll drink more because they'll think they've done their healthy bit.

And the farting will be amazing. I never buy tarted up vegetables.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                  When did satsumas and clementines get rebranded as “easy peelers”?
                  There's not a proper collective term for these things, is there?

Comment

Citrus fruits?

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                      Citrus fruits?
                      But that includes lemons, limes, oranges, etc. The "easy peelers" category is just satsumas, clementines, tangerines, mandarins, basically any mini-orange type fruit.

Comment

Fair enough.

Comment

Is this product a bit too on the nose for this thread:

Comment

I'd probably keep that sticker

Comment

Happily, this ad campaign for Australian mandarins didn’t last long. Sadly, the catchphrase lodged in my head for far longer.

Comment

Oh, I just noticed that “me_irl” caption. Not part of the ad campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                  I was thinking that. I assume WOM wasn't blindfolded when he went shopping, so - particularly given his line of work - he must have known that something smaller than "baby <whatever>" was bound to have a preposterous name.

And if it was his wife who bought them, then it's his own fault for making his wife do his shopping for him. It's the 21st century, for crying out loud.
                                  It just gets uglier by the minute, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
                                    Cook some sprouts in nutmeg and a few chili grains.
                                    Ooh, that does sound good, I must remember that! Nice one LM.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

But that includes lemons, limes, oranges, etc. The "easy peelers" category is just satsumas, clementines, tangerines, mandarins, basically any mini-orange type fruit.
                                      It's a depressingly utilitarian way to group them though, like the important thing isn't which fruit you're actually getting and what it tastes like but how easy the peel is to remove

Comment

That is why I buy them, mind.

Comment

If an orange is easy to peel then this is what I do. If there's resistance, I kind of gnaw the fruit away from the peel, which is oddly satisfying.

Comment

Easy peelers aren't oranges, though.

Comment

GOD I HATE THAT PHRASE SO MUCH JUST SAY CLEMENTINE OR MANDARIN FFS

Comment

I used to get badgered by this lot when I was working:

http://www.ezee-peel.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                                  GOD I HATE THAT PHRASE SO MUCH JUST SAY CLEMENTINE OR MANDARIN FFS
                                                  What if we made it more commercially accessible? Like EZ P'lers or something, with a little heart in the logo or a cartoon bunny?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X