No announcement yet.

Mushrooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netflix has an interesting mini-docu-series on now called How To Change Your Mind, which deals with LSD, psilocybin, etc. They have a guy who specializes in finding 'magic' mushrooms for their hallucinogenic properties. Apparently easy enough to find in the wild. Years ago, they use to grow abundantly on the lawn of one of BC's legislature buildings, much to the chagrin of...well....everyone not crawling around looking for them.

Comment

Bjork's new album is apparently about mushrooms.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
        My husband went through a phase of growing his own mushrooms during lockdown (edible not psychedelic). Lion's mane mushrooms look very cool while growing and are absolutely delicious.
        My mother-in-law was given a mushroom growing kit last Christmas. That looked striking once it got going

Comment

I may regale you later with some mushroom growing photos and tales. But right now I have to take the kids swimming.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

I'm English. And I mean more than are available in the shops.

(loads of people round here have ESMP)
            Well, indeed. But not all that aren't available in shops are good eating.

ESMP is a well developed skill in Central Europe. Culturally important in fact. It tends to come with great caution as to which mushrooms are sensed but on assessment are best left alone - which is any not immediately 100% recognised as safe. Some mushrooms are best left unloved.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
              Bjork's new album is apparently about mushrooms.
              Judging by the first single I think she'd been imbibing in one or two during the recording.

Comment

Oh absolutely. I am incredibly cautious. There are about 4 edibles that I can identify and then there are some which I know are bad. But then there is this middle ground which covers the vast majority of mushrooms which fall into the category of "Can't risk it"

Here's one I saw yesterday. I could see it was similar to a porcini, but wasn't that. I was fairly sure that it was good to eat. But fairly sure is not close to being enough. IMG_20220911_121304.jpg
                Having got home and looked it up I am 98% sure it is bolatus regius, which Wikipedia tells me is a "choice edible". But sadly 98% is still not enough and I need an expert

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post

My mother-in-law was given a mushroom growing kit last Christmas. That looked striking once it got going

I got given one once. I managed to produce one large and one tiny mushroom.

Comment

IMG_20210702_121553.jpg

Comment

Those are lion's mane mushrooms growing out of a bucket, and this is what they look like up close when they're fully grown.

IMG_20210707_172551.jpg

Comment

These are portabello mushrooms, I think.

IMG_20210915_154704~2.jpg
                        Last edited by Balderdasha; 13-09-2022, 13:52.

Comment

Some sort of terrifying toxic mushroom that my husband grew by mistake during his early experiments. We think it's called tippler's bane.

IMG_20210910_161307.jpg

Comment

What my kitchen cupboards looked like once my husband really got going with the hobby. Jars of spores in liquid, bags of half grown mushrooms, etc.

IMG_20210703_103612.jpg

Comment

Early experiments with growing mushrooms on hay.

signal-2021-06-20-210211-1.jpg

Comment

My husband's first degree was biochemistry. He basically takes a hobby, learns everything there is to learn about it, experiments with all the various ways of doing something, gets really good at it, perfects his methods, donates a few of the results as gifts to friends (for a few months, anyone who wanted one got sent a starter bag of mushrooms to grow at home by themselves) and then gets bored and stops. This time round he stopped when we moved house.

Comment

I found this review of identification apps to be interesting

https://learn.freshcap.com/tips/mush...ification-app/

Comment

Lots of different fungi springing up around the garden right now, including big patches of these in one of the lawns nearby to trees. I think they are Sulphur Tufts, though - which are one of the middling baddies that will make you ill rather than be your last meal ever.

[No idea why the pic has rotated 90 degrees or how to right it again]

Comment

Working...
                                    X