Mushrooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mushrooms

The last two weekends, our walks in the hills have turned into mushroom picking outings. The year has been incredibly dry, but there's been a fair bit of rain recently so the mushrooms have been, well, growing like mushrooms. I'm far from an expert so I have to go with others, and even then I'm sure I'm not picking ones that I could be picking.

Anyway, mushrooms are ace. My personal favourite at the moment is the Fenyőalja "under the pine tree" mushroom, which in English is commonly known as the saffron milkcap. There are absolutely loads here at the moment and it tastes absolutely amazing. There are also a lot of porcini, which are delicious too and chantarelles and parasol . Ones we've picked that I'm less bothered about are puffballs (lófing - horse fart, in Hungarian) and a bitter tasting one called scaly hedgehog in English (it says here)
    ​​​
    The bigger ones you can basically just slap on the barbecue and they're done.

Seriously though, saffron milkcaps. Absolutely lush. If you ever get the chance, you need to try them

I wish I had the confidence to pick and cook fungi, but whenever I see something that looks edible my field guide tells me it might be mistaken for a lookalikey something more sinister, that - at best - would give you a severe case of gut-rot. So I stick to shop bought…

Comment

Mushrooms are on the list of things I wish I liked but don't. The texture and the earthiness trouble me.

Comment

Our son cannot abide them, which is a cause of great sadness for me

Comment

I love mushrooms, but haven't the balls to pick my own.

Comment

Mushrooms are fucking ace.

Comment

Garlic, black pepper and a tiny bit of lemon juice is my way of probably destroying the natural flavour.

If anyone on here could explain how to spot magic mushrooms I would be very appreciative. My life is dull, yet I walk in the woods à lot.

I'm sure Snake will come down on this like a ton of bricks.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                Our son cannot abide them, which is a cause of great sadness for me
                Same tragedy in my family. If your son hate custard as well, then I'll be spooked.

Comment

I mean, I wouldn't eat mushrooms and custard either.

Comment

I didn't like mushrooms when I was young, and I also didn't like olives. I'm much older now, and love them both.

Comment

My husband went through a phase of growing his own mushrooms during lockdown (edible not psychedelic). Lion's mane mushrooms look very cool while growing and are absolutely delicious.

Sadly, my husband is bored of that hobby now (he takes up a different one every six months to a year).

Comment

Love mushrooms. Love particularly chanterelles and morels and hen of the woods. And obviously truffles. I used to hate them when I was a kid, but I think that was a typical under-10s entirely made up dislike of the idea of them rather than the reality.

The gateway to mushrooms was the gateway to shellfish and many other things. I discovered that when someone cooked mushrooms in garlic and parsley butter, they were delicious. This allowed me over time to reduce the amount of garlic and find that other ways of cooking mushrooms were also delicious.

Comment

If ever hiking on the Olympic Peninsula, be prepared to be approached by random guys holding out mushrooms and asking you if you think that they'll give you a high but not kill you.

Comment

I will eat mushrooms in things. Even chopped up pretty big. And at our wedding we had the most astonishingly brilliant mushroom soup for one of the courses.
                            I really, REALLY want to love them. The umami they add is wonderful.
                            But there's always the bit at the back of my head saying "you're eating a cousin of athlete's foot." And the slimyness they can have makes my skin crawl.
                            Trying to overcome the horror is harder sometimes than others.

Comment

I have no idea why we choose to eat fungus, but mushrooms are the business - all of 'em, button, shiitake, chestnut, portobello...whichever.

Marvellous things.

Comment

Spent many hours looking for chanterelles and ceps in woods in Switzerland and Italy when I was kid...Some were dried out for winter, some were cooked the evening (garlic, parsley, butter) by my mother...

Comment

I love mushrooms. All of them. In all ways.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                    The gateway to mushrooms was the gateway to shellfish and many other things. I discovered that when someone cooked mushrooms in garlic and parsley butter, they were delicious. This allowed me over time to reduce the amount of garlic and find that other ways of cooking mushrooms were also delicious.
                                    This was my exact experience too. I liked the idea of liking mushrooms, if you see what I mean, for a long time (as opposed to say, baked beans, which I dislike but also have no desire at all to develop a taste for) but it took until I was 25 before an old friend and I went to an Italian restaurant and she happened to have garlic mushrooms for a starter. "Try this," she said, "it just soaks up the flavour like a sponge" – so I did, and damn me was she right. I was instantly up and running from there and love them in all forms now.

At the same meal, mind, I also conducted one of my periodic experiments into whether I still disliked olives and found that no, I still did couldn't stand them. I think it's the bitterness when they look like they ought to be sweet like grapes, say, that put me off – a step further than the mere earthiness and umaminess of mushrooms, which is something the tastebuds seem to naturally gravitate towards liking as they develop into adulthood. It took another decade and more, but I've got into green olives to a decent degree in recent years in the same sort of fashion – by trying ones stuffed with garlic and rosemary to start with, then trying others with pimiento, and those types I now really like although I'm definitely not so keen on them on their own still.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                      But there's always the bit at the back of my head saying "you're eating a cousin of athlete's foot."
                                      Wait until you find out where eggs come from.

Comment

I'm taking the English people saying "I love mushrooms, all of them" to mean "I love mushrooms, all of them that are available in shops" - because 'all of them' in the sense of what grows and can be picked is a really bad idea.

I'm sure I've told the story on here before of my Mum's ESMP* still working whilst in a car doing 50mph.

* - Extra Sensory Mushroom Perception, obvs. The car-based hunting was her greatest hit, but plenty of other times she has said "Oooh, hobi!" and rushed off into a seemingly bland and unproductive bit of undergrowth, digging her penknife out as she disappears and then re-emerging trying to figure out how to carry her haul.

Comment

Well, yes, I don't think there's much doubt those saying that they 'love' mushrooms are talking of the safe/edible variety.

Comment

I don't like mushrooms. I can manage them on a pizza in small doses. But when you see those recipes where they use a big, whole roasted one in place of a hamburger patty? Eurgh. Can't even imagine.

Comment

Janik is also referring to safe/edible mushrooms.

The difference I think he is drawing is cultivated/uncultivated.

Comment

Someone local posted just yesterday that he had been out foraging Hen of the Woods and had found so many he was giving away a few pounds of them. Apparently down at the arboretum there is a guy who can train you on foraging mushrooms. I think I might need to get trained up.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                                  I'm taking the English people saying "I love mushrooms, all of them" to mean "I love mushrooms, all of them that are available in shops" .
                                                  I'm English. And I mean more than are available in the shops.

(loads of people round here have ESMP)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X