Thatcher Cosplay - Can't Truss It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thatcher Cosplay - Can't Truss It

A new thread for a new PM, with a Public Enemy reference tap in for good measure. A new outlet for all the appalling policies and proposals that this bunch of vile cunts intend to inflict on us.
    We don't need to wait for the Tories' propaganda news outlets to tell us what one hundred odd thousand old bigots and aspiring yuppies have decided is best for us.
    Cosplay Thatcher and continuity Johnson candidate Liz Truss will be announced as the best option to take over from the corruptible thatched blobfish and keep the richest few afloat whilst the rest of the country drowns in debt and hunger.
    Truss has no actual ideals and principles of her own. She's a shape-shifting political chameleon and a policy magpie, shifting her views to appeal to the people she thinks will keep her in power and saying whatever is required to appease them.
    The cabinet will be filled with the same old cronies and compliant minions that Johnson had and the giant shitball will continue plummeting down the hill gathering further detritus as it goes.
    We may have got rid of Johnson but that's the only difference from what went on before, we're still as fucked as we always were.

Truss has been dismissed as a political weather vane, pointing in whichever direction the prevailing wind is blowing.
    But at least a weather vane is constructed from substantial materials - Truss is more like a piece of litter blowing aimlessly around a piece of empty wasteland.
    A political polystyrene cup or maybe a crisp packet (possibly Quavers, but probably Monster Munch).

Comment

The way it's going she'll be coming down with the Christmas decorations.

Comment

I think that it is admirable that even in this modern day and age, sleeping with the boss is an acceptable means of career advancement.

In unrelated news, Kwasi Kwarteng is going to be Chancellor.

Comment

Still, looking around at the state of Britain today, at least we can all be thankful that Jeremy Cromblyns didn't get to be in charge, eh?

Comment

Kwarteng is probably one of the saner members of her mooted cabinet, so perhaps it should be encouraged.

I think Truss's economic views have actually been very consistent for 15 years now, low tax, libertarian, deregulation, fuck the poor, IEA Tufton Street stuff. As that seems to be all she actually cares about, it's easy for her to sway with the prevailing wind on everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by The Red Max View Post
              or maybe a crisp packet (possibly Quavers, but probably Monster Munch).
              Neither of these are crisps, mind.

Comment

Some commentators are already saying that if her 'solution' on the cost of living crisis doesn't work - in terms of swinging the polls back the Tories' way - she might not make it to Easter, and we'll be doing this all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Neither of these are crisps, mind.
                  Then why are they in the crisp aisle, eh?

Comment

I'm not sure if she's thick in the Trump sense of clearly uneducated or if she just has no political judgment and temperament. It doesn't matter in practice because the effects will be the same but I'd like to see the workings for concluding she's thick.

I fear the people around her will be intensely training her to minimize the gaffes but how the fuck will she get through PMQs without provoking derisive laughter from all parts of the chamber?
                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 05-09-2022, 11:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                      I'm not sure if she's thick in the Trump sense of clearly uneducated or if she just has no political judgment and tact. It doesn't matter in practice because the effects will be the same but I'd like to see the workings for concluding she's thick.
                      And trump isn't think either. He just doesn't care enough to bother lying.

Comment

Now confirmed.

Comment

"We have shown the breadth and depth of talent in the Conservative Party". No argument there, you certainly have.

"I will deliver on the NHS", she announces, shortly before announcing reversing Boris's 1.5% tax rise that was meant to pay for it.

Comment

Only 57-43% (roughly) which is lower than expected. Not much of a mandate at all.

Comment

When she gets to Balmoral some flunky is going to announce "Liz Truss" and the Queen will say "oh crap, is it time to put that on again?".

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                Only 57-43% (roughly) which is lower than expected. Not much of a mandate at all.
                                Just over 80,000 inhabitants of this country have inflicted this on us. That isn't a mandate of any description.

Comment

It's not even 50% of the Tory party membership.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post

Then why are they in the crisp aisle, eh?
                                    Are you a crisp?

Comment

Surprisingly low vote for Liz, considering she looked absolutely certain to win for several weeks.

Great to see “Can't Truss It” in the thread title.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Are you a crisp?
                                        Feeling pretty frazzled right now.

Comment

Bravo for the title.

If there's one half positive thing in this, it shows anybody really can become PM.

We're all fucked.

Comment

Anyway, I'm really not a fan of the thread title tbh. Obviously puns are great and everything (ahem), but I try to avoid using language which reinforces ableism.

I like reading stuff like this, it challenges me:

Stupid is an ableist slur

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                              I'm not sure if she's thick in the Trump sense of clearly uneducated or if she just has no political judgment and temperament. It doesn't matter in practice because the effects will be the same but I'd like to see the workings for concluding she's thick.

I fear the people around her will be intensely training her to minimize the gaffes but how the fuck will she get through PMQs without provoking derisive laughter from all parts of the chamber?
                                              Having a good education doesn't necessarily make you a suitable person to do the job of a national leader, the aforementioned Trump and the previous incumbent prove that. She's studied economics and accountancy yet she can't show the workings for any of her tax policies. She speaks without thinking, see regional pay policy and not giving handouts just in the last month.

Comment

Trump has a reasonably well-regarded degree, but anything but a good education.

The Military School was a complete joke from an educational perspective and every report of his time at Penn has confirmed that he did as little as practically possible (which can be shocking little indeed).

Free Marketeers of her ilk abandoned any semblance of analytical rigour decades ago (around the time that Laffer was laughed out of serious discourse).

Comment

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1566750385276059648?s=20&t=fc60MTuQfdohL0W4p8KlEA

Comment

Working...
                                                  X