No announcement yet.

Thatcher Cosplay - Can't Truss It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are lots of folk writing Johnson off. I don't think that's wise, if he runs. He is always a danger, much like any German side before a major football tournament.

If I was Starmer, he is the one guy I don't want to face in a general election in 2025. You can almost see the slogan now, Save Brexit Now or Keep Brexit Alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

Like I said, one of the benefits is that they get to basically have a series of Party Political Broadcasts that the other parties don't get, putting their policies and themselves in front of the entire country for three months (whether the country likes it or not). You can imagine the reaction if Labour or the Lib Dems demanded three half hour slots on primetime BBC to talk about what they would do to run the country.
      Plus of course they had a long period of daily briefings during Covid dominating the evening news programmes, plus direct addresses to the nation in prime time whenever they wanted.

Even this week, after Truss ducked out of the UQ in the Commons she snapped her fingers and got a ten minute unopposed slot leading the BBC news saying whatever she wanted while Chris Mason sat opposite her and occasionally frowned slightly.
      ​​​​

Comment

So is there a realistic prospect of the following scenario?

Candidate X: 101 nominations.
        Candidate Y: All the other MPs.

Party membership vote, choose Candidate X.

(obviously there would be huge pressure on the loser to quit and avoid a contest, but then again ambition trumps all).

Comment

Truss got 50 votes on the first ballot in the summer and 113 on the last one. Nobody got 100 on the first ballot so I wonder what the fallback is if nobody meets that threshold (another ballot?)

Comment

He heeeee......

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
              Truss got 50 votes on the first ballot in the summer and 113 on the last one. Nobody got 100 on the first ballot so I wonder what the fallback is if nobody meets that threshold (another ballot?)
              The number of nominations then allowed for more contenders. This time the thinning out is being done in advance, so that won't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

He heeeee......
                Well, yes. Turds lacking fibre often float.

Comment

Given the options on the table, I'd take May back in a heartbeat to be honest. But then of course I want the Tories to lose...

Comment

I've already forgotten why May was turfed.

Comment

Wrong kind of Remainer.

Comment

Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
                        There are lots of folk writing Johnson off. I don't think that's wise, if he runs. He is always a danger, much like any German side before a major football tournament.

If I was Starmer, he is the one guy I don't want to face in a general election in 2025. You can almost see the slogan now, Save Brexit Now or Keep Brexit Alive.
                        And if I was a Tory MP (yeah right) sitting on a thin majority, which candidate is most likely to keep me in a job courtesy of his "personality" and his team coming up a three word slogan which can be endlessly repeated? If Johnson can scrape 101 nominations he'd piss a membership vote.

Comment

That depends on where your constituency is, I would imagine.

Comment

Johnson will easily get 100 MPs to back him. They know the voting public have a blind spot for posh, funny, bumbling, one of us Boris who gets away with all the shit the public wishes they could, he's the best hope the Conservatives have of a 1992 style election win.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post

And if I was a Tory MP (yeah right) sitting on a thin majority, which candidate is most likely to keep me in a job courtesy of his "personality" and his team coming up a three word slogan which can be endlessly repeated?
                              But in 2019 a snap election was a gamble worth taking, it would surely be suicidal now. They want somebody who is going to be there in 1-2 years, in the hope that "events" shift in their favour.

Comment

Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post

Keep Brexit Done

Comment

https://mobile.twitter.com/rupertmye...CHXPl1Ttb4es2w

Comment

Comment

Johnson dominating the front page of the Telegraph, Sun and Express

Mail not yet out

Comment

He is indeed. Lots of briefing by Johnson's people, then.

Comment

This is when we get the final proof of the UK's (read: England's) absolute meltdown into failed state status.

Comment

https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/1583209922409664512?s=20&t=5TKkksNLxP_paTMktmUZ8A

Comment

Fighting for the souls of the soulless. A noble cause.

Comment

Fucking hell. Come, noble bombs...

Comment

I don't believe in souls. But if I did I wouldn't credit Tories with having them.

Comment

Tories are all our souls.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X