No announcement yet.

Thatcher Cosplay - Can't Truss It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YouGov polling suggests just 14% of those responding think Truss will do a better job than Johnson. Oof.

Comment

It would seem to increase the probability of Johnson getting back in.

Comment

The voice of the lunatics has this advice for Truss, I suspect she is on board about this...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...-conservative/

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
          Who's the "Liz Truss" in the photo in the tweet that sw2borhsch posted? Is it Mavis off Corrie?
          It is, one of Stockton's finest.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
            The voice of the lunatics has this advice for Truss, I suspect she is on board about this...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...-conservative/
            On behalf of the lunatics, may we respectfully request not to be lumped in with right-wing arseholes.

Comment

Liz Truss will be gone by Friday.

Comment

If only. But there'll be none of that honeymoon bullshit the most credulous of the electorate usually fall for.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

On behalf of the lunatics, may we respectfully request not to be lumped in with right-wing arseholes.
                  I thought the reference to mental illness was dated and out of use, the meaning now being more akin to foolish, wildly so.

Comment

Nadine Dorries has decided she's off to the bank benches as well. Penny Mordaunt might be the new Culture Sec. Meanwhile Kemi Bad Enoch is the new Trade Secretary.

Comment

https://twitter.com/WalesOnline/status/1566896631290683392?t=2Z_gZY9QuUS_cKMdPQajXA&s=19

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                        Nadine Dorries has decided she's off to the bank benches as well. Penny Mordaunt might be the new Culture Sec. Meanwhile Kemi Bad Enoch is the new Trade Secretary.
                        Dorries made an absolute twat of herself during the campaign on more than one occasion. Even Truss could likely see that she would be a liability even though Johnson chose to ignore it. I wouldn't be surprised if word had been passed to Dorries to allow her to depart with a bit of dignity still intact rather than turn up at the first cabinet meeting to find someone else sat in her seat.

Comment

Perspective

https://twitter.com/CountBinface/status/1566843316502761473?t=OFFF-frJiDm2o3ZnsZ70fA&s=19

Comment

It suggests that a change of PM should require a General Election, which in turn might make the Tory MPs think twice about nominating electoral liabilities on purely ideological grounds (or to keep a relatively more moderate choice off the ballot).

This all seems to have been done with the assumption that there is a safety net of the time to the next GE providing room to dump a bad choice.
                            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 05-09-2022, 22:51.

Comment

I've looked on three football boards today. Normally when anything political comes up (rarely) opinions are diverse and split between left and right. Today I haven't seen a single post in support of her, or her party.

Comment

FWIW, my view is that Truss will spend big to deal with the energy bill crisis, that the country will go into a shallow recession next year, possibly not even that and that the economy will have stabilised by the end of next year ahead of a General Election in 2024.

The biggest danger to the continuation of her premiership will be her communication skills, but if she convinces the electorate that she's concentrating on working hard to improve their lives rather than delivering sparkling orations she might just get away with it.

I think she'll lead her party into the next election.

Comment

She will have to find 100 billion from somewhere to freeze energy bills and will be open to accusations of subsidizing the energy companies instead of regulating them.

Comment

It strikes me as a classic poisoned chalice strategy.

Right out of the corporate playbook that one never gives a woman or POC the top job unless the shit is about to hit the fan and you know that you will have someone to take the fall if they don't pull off a miracle.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                      She will have to find 100 billion from somewhere to freeze energy bills and will be open to accusations of subsidizing the energy companies instead of regulating them.

The suggestion is that she'll borrow rather than raise taxes, with the money lent to the energy companies and then repaid by them over a period of decades, or at least that's one option.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                        I think that it is admirable that even in this modern day and age, sleeping with the boss is an acceptable means of career advancement.

In unrelated news, Kwasi Kwarteng is going to be Chancellor.

My son advises me that you may be confusing Liz Truss with Amber Rudd.

(Christ - I almost typed Amber Heard then!)

Comment

I thought that Snake was evoking the photo of Truss and Gove on the train and related gossip

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                            I thought that Snake was evoking the photo of Truss and Gove on the train and related gossip

Mercifully I'm unaware of both!

As far as I know, Rudd and KK were rumoured to have had a fling and Truss certainly had an affair with Mark Field, but frankly it's a bit hard to keep up with all the Tory Party bed-hopping.

Comment

Rudd and KK were together publicly for a while.

As noted above, he then married another graduate of the same posh girls' school who TAB encountered on several occasions while she was dating a mate of his.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                Rudd and KK were together publicly for a while.

As noted above, he then married another graduate of the same posh girls' school who TAB encountered on several occasions while she was dating a mate of his.

I was watching a history documentary on TV a few months ago and was slightly surprised when KK cropped up as one of the expert talking heads. I thought that the subject matter was Churchill's wartime premiership, which it might have been, but given that he (KK) wrote a book about the legacy of the British Empire perhaps it was about colonialism.

Shows you how much I remember about the programme!

Comment

Kwarteng's book is OK actually (I mean, compered to Britannia Unchained)

Comment

Hearing how to get to Balmoral you have to fly to Aberdeen and then drive for about an hour into the middle of nowhere, I couldn't help thinking that for a monarch who loves her subjects so much, queenie doesn't half try and live as far away from them all as possible.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X