Thatcher Cosplay - Can't Truss It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
    Surely each foreign student brings in tens of thousands of pounds to the economy each year? Decreasing their numbers is economically illiterate.
    Foreign students are an absolutely massive boost to the economy. They pay tuition fees, rent, they eat and drink and live. Then when they graduate they either go home or they stay and take well paid jobs contributing to society and the tax coffers. Getting rid of foreign students is about the most stupid thing you could possibly do

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
      ... about the most stupid thing you could possibly do
      Well, they have raised the bar, so let's not be hasty.

Comment

Only hope is this was at a fringe meeting rather than a policy announcement, and the PP now seek to be getting their claws into the cabinet's collective stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

Foreign students are an absolutely massive boost to the economy. They pay tuition fees, rent, they eat and drink and live. Then when they graduate they either go home or they stay and take well paid jobs contributing to society and the tax coffers. Getting rid of foreign students is about the most stupid thing you could possibly do
          The figure I saw was £6 bn in fees and another £6bn in spending. This is just so inexplicable

Comment

What is inexplicable about the unquestionable fact that these people are NOT BRITISH.

Comment

Foreign students are disliked by most Tory voting demographics, it matter not one bit how much money they contribute to the country. Darren in Dudley who runs a small business paying minimum wage to a bunch of bitter locals hates most students because they are smartarses and Nora in Canterbury is concerned about her grand-children not getting the job they deserve (not through merit, merely because they are English and middle-class) if too many foreigners who seem way too keen to work hard are in the country

Comment

She's not just concocting stuff about foreign students bringing their families in. She's also saying that there's a tactical plan amongst boat people to claim slave labour abuse in order to gain asylum

An expert (someone who actually bothers with facts) today said that only 4% of illegal immigrants go down this path. Which probably means they are actually victims of slave labour.

She also says this is a particular problem amongst Albanians. Less than 10% of the 4% are Albanian.

She ain't no lawyer. She's just a dangerous fucking fanatic.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                  Only hope is this was at a fringe meeting rather than a policy announcement, and the PP now seek to be getting their claws into the cabinet's collective stupidity.
                  The cabinet are getting their claws into each other's stupidity (or the bits of their stupidity that they don't want to be seen to be getting behind). The conference has been a disaster for them as they are exposed to a level of attention that they can't deal with, and we haven't even got to Truss attempting to make a leader's speech tomorrow. To paraphrase, "can you conference, can you conference, can you conference every week?"

Comment

psychopath

https://twitter.com/PhantomPower14/status/1577356617154183183?s=20&t=C531FOdTAipnGrRhrQZG7Q

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                      psychopath
                      Nope. Unless she's actually been diagnosed as such, which I don't believe she has.

Fascistic, racist, despicable, worthless excuse for a human being who should be bundled into an inflatable unicorn and cast off into the North Sea where she would hopefully be sucked into an offshore wind turbine and eviscerated, yes.

Psychopath, no.

Calling her a psychopath is an insult to actual psychopaths.
                      Last edited by Balderdasha; 04-10-2022, 21:05.

Comment

https://twitter.com/S_imonthebike/status/1577020723872567298?t=9FOMgGsz5nkyZMA6ZB3Q9Q&s=19

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

Nope. Unless she's actually been diagnosed as such, which I don't believe she has.

Fascistic, racist, despicable, worthless excuse for a human being who should be bundled into an inflatable unicorn and cast off into the North Sea where she would hopefully be sucked into an offshore wind turbine and eviscerated, yes.

Psychopath, no.

My understanding is that psychopaths are able to fake basic human empathy.

Comment

Nicely accurate summary of Braverman there though, by Balders. Her combination of viciousness and wilful ignorance are matched only by Priti Patel. Quite apart from the loathsome stuff on migrants she was pushing the myth of lazy greedy benefit scroungers today, incoherently but enthusiastically. Apart from Farage, I can’t think of any UK politician I despise more.

Comment

It was very noticeable in her C4 interview that she had had some media training since last week's local radio shitshow, as
                              she kept replying to (Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!) Gary Gibbon with his 1st name.

Comment

Psychopath, no.

Absolutely. Well said.

Comment

Psychopath, no.

Merriam-Webster defines a psychopath as " a person having an egocentric and antisocial personality marked by a lack of remorse for one's actions, an absence of empathy for others, and often criminal tendencies."

happy with that.
                                  Last edited by Nefertiti2; 05-10-2022, 02:15.

Comment

A psychopath acts outside of accepted norms whereas Braverman is conforming to the norms of her party. I would, as a sociologist focus on the group norms (fascism, racism, dehumanizing the Other) rather than some individual pathology which by remarkable coincidence is shared by her 300+ fellow Tory MPs and several million Tory voters.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                      A psychopath acts outside of accepted norms whereas Braverman is conforming to the norms of her party. I would, as a sociologist focus on the group norms (fascism, racism, dehumanizing the Other) rather than some individual pathology which by remarkable coincidence is shared by her 300+ fellow Tory MPs and several million Tory voters.
                                      see Merriam-Webster above

Comment

Merriam-Webster defines a psychopath as " a person having an egocentric and antisocial personality marked by a lack of remorse for one's actions, an absence of empathy for others, and often criminal tendencies."

happy with that.
                                        I agree that it is used like this. However, it is also a medical diagnosis for a mental health condition as it is considered to be a severe form of antisocial personality disorder: https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/con...ity%20disorder.

From the NHS website "A person with antisocial personality disorder will have a history of conduct disorder during childhood, such as truancy (not going to school), delinquency (for example, committing crimes or substance misuse), and other disruptive and aggressive behaviours." Braverman has displayed none of these as far as I know, and instead has managed to qualify as a lawyer. Her actions are an ideological and active choice, not something that is intrinsic to her condition.

Psychopathy / antisocial personality disorder is often a result of a combination of genetic factors and/or childhood abuse / neglect, which are outside the individual's control. It is possible but unbelievably difficult for individuals with antisocial personality disorder to choose to seek help and treatment for their condition, to not to act on their impulses and to function normally within society, despite still having core traits such as a fundamental lack of empathy for others.

Dismissing a highly functioning woman who has made it to the upper echelons of our governmental system as a "psychopath" contributes to the misunderstanding of the diagnosis. The conservative party all display a lack of empathy and remorse, and most have criminal tendencies but it is not because they all have medical conditions which are beyond their control. It is because they have chosen an ideology which prioritises in group over out group, individual greed over collective wellbeing, and the interests of the wealthy few over those of the poor and disadvantaged.
                                        Last edited by Balderdasha; 05-10-2022, 05:27.

Comment

It's not completely inaccurate to use psychopath to describe Braverman. I just think there are better terms out there which focus on the system which has created her instead of it being an individual personality flaw.

This is also close to my heart as psychopath / psychopathy is often reduced to just "psycho" which gets confused with psychosis and contributes to misunderstanding and fear of my own condition. I have experienced psychosis, am at high risk of experiencing it again in future and have to work extremely hard to avoid it. This does not in any way mean that I am a psychopath. But people still often treat me as if I might be once they know that I've had a psychotic episode.

Comment

The conservative party all display a lack of empathy, remorse and criminal tendencies
                                            Even though I loathe the party, "all" carries a heavy load here.

And I'm sure you don't mean a ""lack" of "criminal tendencies".

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

And I'm sure you don't mean a ""lack" of "criminal tendencies".
                                              Haha, I literally just edited this to say "all display a lack of empathy and remorse, and most have criminal tendencies" while you were typing that as I agree with you!

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Collective responsibility. If you're a member of the Conservative Party then you are part of a criminal gang whether you're personally engaging in criminality or not.

Comment

This is good:

https://twitter.com/Cassetteboy/status/1577574300160253953

Comment

see Merriam-Webster above
                                                    This is pretty tin-eared stuff, Nef.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X