No announcement yet.

Thatcher Cosplay - Can't Truss It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's only the start of it - that's them saying they won't increase the Spending Review figures in line with inflation, which in itself produces a real terms cut, but there will be more to come on top of that.

Comment

“ - I warn you not to be ordinary

– I warn you not to be young

– I warn you not to fall ill

- I warn you not to get old”

Neil Kinnock’s pre-election speech of 1987 springs to mind.

Comment

This Government is what you get when everyone with half a brain and an ability to play the game of compromise in politics has disappeared, and all that is left is the zealots who install their think tank wonks, plus the sort of MPs normally confined to the back benches where they just get up to the sort of cretinous mischief and soundbites the likes of Chope and Fabricant delight in.
        And 35% of the country will still vote for and support them because blue rosette.

Comment

I think they will get under probably get under 30 per cent next time.

Comment

Neil Kinnock’s pre-election speech of 1987 springs to mind.
            1983, before he became leader.

Comment

Shambles.

https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1576888448450969600?t=gGHUdxMWgpMR1bjcb_L_wg&s=19

And now Nadine Dorries, who backed Truss for leader, is calling for a General Election on the grounds that Truss has no mandate for her policies. Which, while this is true, is only bothering Dorries because Truss's government is abandoning Dorries' policies, which in turn she had no mandate for.

Comment

Dorries must be stewing. She backed Truss then got chucked out the cabinet, so I imagine she's out for revenge.
                Her removal from the cabinet was likely self inflicted, though, after a load of ill-thought tweets during the leadership campaign, ironically one of which was about the previous prime minister being stabbed in the back.

Comment

They'll have to cut stuff that rural middle-class Tories rely on, not just the inner-city Labour constituencies.

Comment

I don't know if James O'Brien is liked here but I thought this was good:

Comment

the stratford upon avon herald comments that the chancelors min budget met with a mixed reaction.

Comment

Couple of new polls today, giving Labour a 25% and 28% lead respectively. But there is close to zero chance that Labour will have the pleasure of fighting a general election campaign against a Tory party led by Truss, isn't there? Apart from a few maverick loose cannons like Dorries, Tory MPs will mostly have too strong a survival instinct to let that happen. And getting rid of her could easily knock 10 points off Labour's poll lead overnight. A pity. We'll just have to hope that the process around getting rid of Truss throws up chaos and internecine warfare amongst Tory factions such that they end up almost as badly off poll-wise as they are now.

Edit: reminds me of how they chose IDS to take over from Hague after their 2001 defeat, only to kick him out after a couple of years, never having let him lead them into a general election, because his toxic and charisma-deficient leadership was clearly a loser. But the nasty right wing stain is still hanging round the party.
                        Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 03-10-2022, 17:21.

Comment

They find themselves in a difficult position, as it is difficult to see how anyone significantly less extreme than Truss will get through the system they have established, while any changes to that system would be monstered by the ultras and the reactionary press.

The one alternative that I see "working" is bringing back Johnson*, which might well be the worst of all worlds for everyone.

*Indeed, I have been wondering for a while if at least some of those backing Truss did so knowing that she would be a disaster, and thus make a Johnson return more palatable.

Comment

Topple her now, and the party becomes even more of a laughing stock than it currently is - the new PM would immediately face questions as to how many weeks they expect to be in the job.

Do it too close to the election and they risk going into it with a new PM who will have too much ground to recover, and a lot of damage in their inbox.

I still think they'll give her to the spring, possibly as far as the May local elections, and then put in a damage-limiter to lead them into the inevitable election defeat, with the intent to keep the score down.

But they are obviously so divided (and haven't even put anything to a vote on Parliament yet, which is when the splits will become more open) that it wouldn't surprise me if they decide enough is enough before Christmas. The economic forecast on 23 November will bring things to a head.

We've still got Johnson's resignation honours to come yet, which could tarnish him even further (but not in the eyes of his loyalists, admittedly).

Comment

It is incredible really that a party that is largely only in power because it "delivered what [52% of] the people wanted" and refuses point blank to countenance any suggestion that Brexit has been anything less than a triumph, is now seemingly perfectly willing to overturn what more than 52% OF ITS OWN MEMBERS voted for less than a month ago, and tell them they were wrong and have to do it again.

Comment

Kwarteng now spewing out his "Growth Plan" and OBR forecast "later this month" rather than 23 November, after maintaining for a week that 23 November was absolutely the right time to do it.

Comment

She's being called Trussolini in some quarters but the Duce was a rather more confident speaker.

Comment

She believes she has what it takes to win a General Election. No doubt in her mind. So I wouldn't put it past her to decide to go to the country to shut the doubters up.

Comment

Truss has lost the Mail (for now at least):

https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/1577045278204563475?t=tUI24TE1L5i-r7wBOvGqHg&s=19

The "screeching late night reversal" being their way of explaining why their front page this morning was right behind the policy only for it to be reversed by the time most people made it to a paper shop, leaving them looking rather stupid.

Comment

While the Express continues to base its operations on Fantasy Island, completely divorced from the real world and I can't be bothered linking to it.

Comment

I have no such compunctions

Though the Telegraph is of course more worthy of analysis

Comment

Telegraph going for the most unflattering photo they can find. She looks every one of her 47 years and more, there.

Comment

Very much so.

There is a LOT going on on that single page.

Comment

https://twitter.com/RussInCheshire/status/1576914717297500160?t=ZTG7k-REmEWzVULSfTNozA&s=19

Comment

Ha, the insider trading government keeps on giving to the cunts

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1577037182430502915?t=Fwo7cc-d6mHUo7rVZkf-QA&s=19

Comment

Just seen this graph, actually a slightly more up-to-date version of it, on Newsnight. Very interesting in the current political context:

Comment

Working...
                                                    X